1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Babbling Post #39

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Beren, Jun 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arifirh Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Now, sell the PC version and buy the PS2 version back for £2 cheaper still on eBay! You'll make a fortune :D

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Waltz?

The classic "eight" in English waltz, from the guy's point of view:

Right foot forward (1), left out on the left (2), right to left (3). Left forward (1), right out on the right (2), left to right (2). Right backward (1), left out on the left (2), right to left (3). Left backward (1), right out on the right (2), left to right (3).

The most basic square:

Right foot forward (1), left out on the left (2), right to left (3). Left backward (1), right out on the right (2), left to right (3). Repeat ad nausaeam.

A more complicated (and even more classy) square with turns (left turn):

Left foot forward, turn 90° anticlockwise when stretching right out, left to right. Right backward, 90° anti-clockwise while stretching left out, right to left. Left foot forward, turn 90° anticlockwise when stretching right out, left to right. Right backward, 90° anti-clockwise while stretching left out, right to left. And you're back at the starting point.

Right turn:

Right forward, 90° clockwise and left out, right to left. Left back, 90° clockwise and right out, left to right. Right forward, 90° clockwise and left out, right to left. Left back, 90° clockwise and right out, left to right. And you're back at the starting point.

Easy?

Now you may want to build more complex figures. Improvise! Perhaps you'll break a couple of conventions you've never heard of but the ladies will be impressed. ;)

For example, an improvised "eight" with turns:

R forward, 90° clockwise when left out, right to left. Left backward, 90° clockwise when right out, left to right. Right backward, 90° anticlockwise while left out, right to left. Left forward, 90° anticlockwise while right out, left to right. Right backward, 90° anticlockwise while left out, right to left. Left forward, 90° anticlockwise while right out, left to right. Right forward, 90° clockwise while left out, right to left. Left backward, 90° clockwise while right out, left to right. Et voila, your on your starting position and the eight is done. ;)

Want something flashy?

Whisk:

Left forward, right out on the right, left crosses behind right. Now you want a way back. Don't remember what the canonical steps for that were, but I suggest the following: hold, left out on the left, right to left.

Here are two nice links:

http://www.centralhome.com/ballroomcountry/waltz_steps-1.htm
    http://www.centralhome.com/ballroomcountry/waltz_steps-2.htm

3. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Aw a note, tuna salad is mucly good.

And damn, now I crave chocolate :(

4. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Wow...chev giving dance lessons! :eek:

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm running for the hills...you can join me if you wish. :rolling:

5. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

@Ara: Damn! Did I miss the Belgian chocolates? :(

Ah well, I will console myself with the enjoyment that comes only from a good game of footie int' park, followed by a couple of pints of sweet, sweet beer, instead. :beer:

Also, I had a careers meeting today, and the woman said that most of my potential career options (now that I've given up on PhD's) would be ok even if I only got a 2:2, so now I only have to pass the year, rather than storm it! So it basically looks like I'm either going to be a teacher - like chev & innumerable others - or an accountant, like JSBB. I just hope that extensive knowledge of random B-movies isn't actually a job requirement for auditing, or I'm stuffed for that before I've really begun to look in to it.

Only 44 hours to results... :eek:

6. Arabwel

Media:
    *sends lots and lots of good vibes to The Magpoie's general direction*

Hmm, it has been an age since I waltzed at all..... Now I think I have to turn those darn things the other way around since I wouldn't be leading, tho.

7. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Just out of curiosity, has a regular member ever started a new RB thread when there wasn't an Admin to do it? :rolling:

8. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

If someone did that they would have been lynched :p Remember the conspiracy theories when Beren started his first RB? :grin:

9. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Thanks Chevalier, that's great help. Hopefuly I will impress some girl with it, if I am able to dance it correctly.

10. Arabwel

Media:
    *snicker*

Indeed :D

Argh, my feet are being bitten by the furred & purring contignent!

11. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The image of Chev dancing... :eek:

12. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

A whole page without me posting on it. What's RB coming too?

As a side note, I was up so late that I decided to have breakfast then get some work done when I got off line...

13. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    /me gets some chocolate figurines and secretly puts them next to Magpie's bed. :p

Crossing my fingers for you...

14. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Waltzing, easy. Cha-cha, now that's a dance that takes skills. :D

15. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

How about the banana dance? ---> :banana:

16. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Breath-taking, isn't it? :p :shake:

@Ofelix: If you want to impress a lady with your dancing skills, she needs to feel that you are leading her. Gently, kindly, but you're the one dictating the moves. ;) If you make a bad step, don't worry. Someone has probably already invented it as a special figure and given it a flashy name. :D So long as your steps are counted on three (or six, nine etc), you're going to be fine. Stretching the rules is half the fun in dancing. ;)

17. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Grr - my fluffy slippers have a hole in the bottom :(

18. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    The holy slippers of Aikanaro

19. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The first RBP was made by a member here... I'm not sure who it was any more. Mathetais or Slappy, I think. You can dig through the Whatnots archives if you really want to find out.

20. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Slappy, as I remember. But somehow I can't remember what it was called ... not Random Babbling anyway. Maybe someone else will know :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.