1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Babbling Post #7

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Taluntain, Apr 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hephaestus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

2. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Rallymama what are you talking about..? Oh.. Ohh. Boo gets it now. Haha! Now I get it. That was how 8people somehow convinced Tal... Nice twist Rally. Yes I should spend more time with women, and not with Yoda :p

Anyway Tal,
    He did put warnings out to close the explorer with CTRL+ALT+DEL. In fact, he did everything possible with words to warn you, that this link was not a window to open casually. And you of all people. and with 20 other windows open. I don't get it.

It's like the SP FAQ's we bang over newcomers head for not reading, only difference is that this Denton FAQ was 1/100 of the size of SP FAQ. I still say if you didn't pay attention to it, its your own fault. I agree, had he just posted the link out of the blue, I too would have been pissed off, and warned him with banning. No doubt. It could ruin tremendous amounts of work for others.

Beren
    Well I guess in a way we agree. The link should be removed, roger that. But Not to protect people like 8people from JC Dentons bad taste, but to protect them against their own lack of common sense and naive curiousity. When someone tells you a link can't possibly be any worse, and the link is *only* for Computer freaks. Have faith in him. It seems Faragon and Chevalier do *Scroll up a little*. Wise dudes.

[ May 03, 2003, 06:14: Message edited by: Nobleman ]

3. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, I saw that link early on. I am no computer genius, but I possess at least enough sense to stay away from anything like that.

What I described is a worst-case situation that could have happened. The point being that exposing people to a link, with the knowledge that something quite undesirable could happen, or to do it carelessly without thinking about potential consequences, just doesn't sit well with me.

And if enough people got their hands burnt with that link, well ... they themselves are only partially to blame. As for Tal, as the administrator, he might actually have had an obligation to open it to find out what it actually does.

[ May 03, 2003, 08:34: Message edited by: Beren ]

4. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Thanks, Nobleman

5. Ex-Paladine Banned

Ohh yes 200. now..

6. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Braggart... :D

7. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Berin As Uncle Bilbo might have said. Its dangerous even to walk down the road. Worst case you could get hit by a drunk dragon on the loose. More importantly I don't think JCD did it carelessly, which is the word you use. He did everthing possible not to be careless. But this is somehow where we look at it differently. Which is beyond me.

And 8people. what? Everyone makes mistakes. Its part of learning. No harm there. Everyone has been a kid. Even BTA. No one, to my knowledge, is born perfectly wise. common sense is only remotely linked to intelligence. Common sense, we all learn how to handle with time. Its only natural. Well hopefully.

[ May 03, 2003, 11:08: Message edited by: Nobleman ]

8. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Actualy, there is quite a bit of legal abandonware lying around (though probably more illegal stuff). There are even quite a few sites asking developers to release their game for free, and I've never seen this game on any abandonware website, even though it is supposed to be one of the greatest FPS of all time (I'm talking about Marathon).
    If the games are still buyable then there is a link to where to buy it, and if there is no way to buy it and it is still under copywrite then there is no download (at least at the sites I go to to get it).

9. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Got 200 posts,too :shake:

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Nobleman, this guy has posted nothing but crap for as long as he's been here, and if he hadn't been away for some time now I'd have banned him on the spot, but I forgot already exactly what sort of crap he posted in the past. And yes, I do have to check everything posted here and no, I did not expect some idiot to post a link which completely disables Internet Explorer and is a trojan to boot.

And if you think that putting stupid warnings up (you have to be a nerd to like that? More like brain dead) justifies posting such a link here you're sorely mistaken. In almost 3 years of this board being up no one has posted a link remotely as idiotic and harmful. So it's natural that people will click it, it's not like anyone expects such crap to be posted on SP.

If you think this sort of stuff is normal I wonder where the hell you've been going, because it certainly isn't normal on SP. Maybe you should exchange links with JC in PM so that he'll at least get some appreciative audience and not post any more idiocy publicly.

Btw, Aikanaro, copyright on ALL games holds for 95 years. Only some game creators decide not to prosecute those who are distributing their games for free. Or don't bother. Or don't know about them. Or, a very small percentage, put the old games up on their sites for download themselves. Anyway, I've said all this in my first post already...

[ May 03, 2003, 12:24: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

11. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Last comment on the matter, the designers just release it for free when they're not making any money out of it (sometimes). Though a 95 year old game would be, interesting...
    If the link was that bad why would you even bother posting it. It defies intelligence.

12. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] @ ejsmith - If I do it's from when my mothers' been on here

13. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

"copyright on ALL games holds for 95 years"

Even in Japan?

14. Platypus Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Hmm, I plugged in my old SNES over the holidays and if that length of time is the correct one then it feels like some of them should be free pretty soon... Retro forever! :cool:
    Actually, I remember a sarcastic list of things which all video games used to contain; does anyone know if there's a link out there that lightly mocks all those games from the early 90's and before?

15. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] ooo, Platypus, nice name

I like the word platypus, it's a sort of... friendly word :spin:

16. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I love the wild, wild east and all its downloading possibilities. But just those cyrillic letters. They drive me nuts.

17. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

18. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I don't know what kind of copyright laws Japan has but I imagine they're more or less similar.

19. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Well, you can patent the different parts of a same invention, for a sample... the guy who invented floppies got several patents out of uit in Japan, but in other countries he got only one patent out of it, as it was patented as a single inventioon.

So, their copyright laws could very well be as quirky...

Queen of the Damned, the movie I mean, sucks. Pun intended.

(Elrond, stop torturing Legsy! Smith is being a bad influence on you!)

20. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] Muha! Updated my profile picture

HE'S DRINKING THE GUINESS!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.