1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Babbling Thread 119

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by dmc, Jul 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    I know, the whole standardized fantasy setting baffles me, I mean you can do fantasy without involving elves and dwarves can't you?

Honestly the A Song of Fire and Ice books series (which GOT is based on) is far far far better than the TV show, not that there isn't sex in it, just not as much and there's this new thing called context that makes it more plausible. I can see how the show would look kinda bad if you had not read the books, a lot of the background and subtleties are just lost on screen. And yeah the books are still ongoing. Without a clue as to when the next book's coming if at all.

As for culture, once they figured out they could do more than just account how many sheep and bushel of wheat they had with writing they immediately wrote down their stories and legends and stuff on paper. So their culture could be preserved. So there's that :p -- That's how the Odyssey began, to name only this one.

2. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I had started to read the first book more than a decade ago, but never finished it. Which was pretty much unprecedented at that time, but even then I could only watch so much of watching fairly likeable characters just march proudly straight into ever deeper and deeper sh*t. And you can see it coming miles away. It's kind of depressing and as I'm easily influenced by whatever I'm reading, I don't like to read depressing stuff.

Eventually someone gave me the book as a present so I sort of had to read it. I did, and even managed to read some of the other books. Just kind of lightly skim through it was the best way, I found.

I watched a bit of the series over my girlfriend's shoulder, but though her patience for watching TV is a lot better than mine, her tolerance for faffing about is not, so even she was skipping through it, mostly.

Writing can preserve a piece of culture, true. But for most of the human history legends have been passed on by word of mouth, so they're there whether someone preserves it or not.

3. Ofelix

Media:
    I can appreciate that, for me though watching ********s getting their comeuppance is kinda fun, especially when it's like 80% their fault, 20% just circumstance / bad luck.

edit: Censored words ? really ?

4. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I guess that's one way of looking at it. Still, I would definitely have prefered some of the other characters to get their comeuppance.

Well, that's neither here nor there, anyway. It would be funny to see how, if ever, the series gets rounded up, though. I have a feeling that it will be disappointing.

5. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    At this rate, GRRM will probably drop dead from eating too many hamburgers before he finishes the last book. He has also stated that he has no intention of allowing anyone else continue the story even if he's unable to for whatever reason. If he feels like he can't make it, he'll just have the red comet hit the planet and wipe everyone out.

As far as authors go, I actually prefer someone like Salvatore to Martin.

6. henkie

Media:
    I've only read some of the Drizz't novels from Salvatore, but I find them pretty simplistic, both in writing style and storywise. In that respect it's much like Bioware's writing, I suppose.

7. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    It is quite simplistic, which isn't necessarily a bad thing when you're just looking for some entertainment. I find his novels enjoyable.

---------- Added 4 hours, 42 minutes and 51 seconds later... ----------

Bah, Christmas church bells echoing all over the goddamn place. :geezer:

8. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Same with Wheel of Time. A five book max for stories.

9. Ofelix

Media:
    Well well well, Merry Christmas all ! Have a good one.

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Merry Christmas and/or Happy Holidays and here's to a fun New Year, everyone! ;)

11. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Just a bit too warm. Rain instead of snow.

12. Ofelix

Media:
    I know it's been raining here for Christmas' eve too, that... never happens. Well, I'm get myself ready I'm going to see the latest Hobbit with friends later on. See all y'all later !

13. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I had a cozy day in bed. 'Twas nice.

14. Merlanni

Media:
    Monday 29. Chop chop, back to work peons.

15. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I love this time of year....

Five days of vacation = Sixteen days off.

16. Ofelix

Media:
    Oh screw you Steam Holiday Sale :grr: ! I ended up buying four games. Ok it amounted to about 35 $ but still, my library keeps getting bigger and bigger. I've about 5 games in "backlog" already.

17. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Five games? Like seriously? I have about 150 of them on my backlog and that's not counting the ones I never intend to play anyway.

[​IMG]

18. Ofelix

Media:
    Why would you buy games you have no intentions of playing ? Might as well throw your money away.

19. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Because they come in a big bundle of awesome. Or because I went full retard at the time and just bought the game for change.

20. henkie

Media:
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.