1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Music Babbling Post #4

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Beren, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I am glad, for my immediate neighbour is half-deaf :D

*cranks up the Iron Maiden*

2. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

While I appreciate, recognize, and acknowledge the fact that the Beatles started a revolution, I dislike almost every one of their songs. McCartney and Lennon are good by themselves, but together, those bugs were freakin' insane. (not the good insane)

3. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Oh my god, they "made" a new album :rolleyes:
    Same old songs thet appeared on MANY best ofs/compilations in all those past years. Oh I forgot that this time they were digitally remixed.

BTW I totally agree with Saber.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Huh. Didn't expect such a Beatles backlash here. I understand that album might be number one in the UK. Stupid Brits, to buy music from such a *lousy* band.

You guys all just hate anything that is popular. iPod, Microsoft, The Beatles, if lots of people like something, then it must be rubbish. If it's obscure and nobody has heard of it, then it must be fantastic.

There must be a psychological explanation for this.

5. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

You hit the nail there Harbs. I've always wondered how's that something that is so popular that millons of people have it (iPod, Microsoft, etc) is lousy or crap...
    I read everywhere that nobody will want Vista for a couple of years, but now everybody seems to want it!

Anyway. I just heard a song from that new Beatles album and the new version sounds, well, new. Basicaly, the lyrics stays the same (of course, right?) but with some new instrumentals.
    By the way, the music was made for a theatrical show about the Beatles, not for the Cirque du Solei; so the news shows said today.
    More info.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yeah, George Martin was asked to create a soundtrack for Cirque du Soleil by using any sounds he wanted from existing Beatles tracks. So it's like a huge remix of a whole bunch of Beatles songs. Because he was there when the stuff was recorded in the first place, he can probably be relied upon not to stuff it up and to create something in keeping with the originals.

7. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

8. Arabwel

Media:
    I actually like the Beatles. :p

as for Microsoft and iPod, the millions of people? donöt know better, are "trendy" or just too lazy to make the effort (like me & M$ products)

In other news, my mother hads scrounged a Maiden shirt from somewhere a dnd so I am now happily snuggled into an Eddie. :D Apparently one of my uncles (!) had passed it on a few years back...

9. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Sarah Brown.

10. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

People just hate to see themselves as 'the common crowd', basically because the common crowd is a bunch of stupid people who mindlessly follow every new trend that is started. By distancing yourself from the common crowd, you can think of yourself as better than them (often a disillusion), and in the end everybody likes to see themselves as better than everybody else. And considering you are better, opinions other people have are simply wrong and everything they have is crap. (You probably didn't expect to see this in a Sensorium topic eh?)

Microsoft works for me, because I know how to work with Microsoft. I'm not too sure about the music quality of an iPod and I won't replace my MiniDisc player if it works just fine, and the Beatles have some brilliant songs (Hey Jude, While My Guitar Gently Weeps), but songs like Obladi are just pukable.

But on a more musical note, I've been listening to Tom Waits a lot lately, his new album Orphans is brilliant.

11. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Popular? I hate the ipod and M$ because they make s***.

Stick with Windows, brain-washed clone. I'll stick with my Unix, thanks a lot. I prefer scratching my head some more and having a rock-solid OS which doesen's piss the hell out of me about stupid licenses and activation. Never mind that trying to get a laptop without Winblows was nearly impossible, thanks to the Nazism of uncle Bill. But that's another story.

So do I.

12. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    I use Windows, mainly because although it may irritate me some of the time, it generally isn't bad enough to warrant the effort involved in getting a change.

Mesmero did hit on a good point at the beginning of his post, though. The attitude isn't especially prevelant here, but on other forums it is possible to see many examples of the imfamous 'metal elitists', who tend to hate anything that gains popularity.

Oh, just 'cause something is popular in the UK doesn't actually make it all that good. There is a massive amount of rubbish in circulation over here.

The Beatles aren't really my kind of thing, to be honest.

13. Arabwel

Media:
    ... why is it that the talk in this thread ALWYS turns to this subject?

in a more musical level, dear God but I love guitar solos. Love them to bits. And now I want to learn how to play...

14. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I have an iPod, I haven't used anything else but Microsoft, so I don't know if its good or bad... I just don't like the beatles because I don't like their music.

I agree Ara. Solos are sweet. Only if they aren't too long, though. The best one for me is in Unearth's Zombie Autopilot. Great stuff :thumb:

15. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

The Beatles essentially have two kinds of songs: cute little pop songs, which are kind of quaint if you're into that sort of thing, and then these weirdass experimental trip songs which, I assume, have an "Ooooh! Sounds!" -sort of appeal to them if you're dropping acid.

And I really don't get this annual archeology thing with the Beatles, with "new" records and all. Well, actually, I do get it. :money: :money: :money:

So how 'bout a reunion? They still have a rhythm section! :lol:

16. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Just listened to Excalibur by Grave Digger again...

..Ex-cally-boor!

Gotta love the pronunciation.

17. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

You have no idea how bad M$ is until you taste Unix. BSOD? Activation and licenses? Never heard about those.

Oh yes it is THAT bad.

I often listened to Tartaros while on shroomz. Man, those were freaky buzzes...

Thanks to my housemate, I'm stuck with a Godsmack song into my head... :mad: :mad: :mad:

18. Harbourboy

No they don't, he was first to die. They only have drums and bass now, so maybe they can become a real "drum 'n' bass" outfit.

19. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

"Rhythm section" is not the same as "rhythm guitar." It refers to the bass and the drums.

20. Arabwel

Media:
    That reminds me.. it is interesting how in Finland, it is the bassists who get the rep as eing a bit ont he slow side... seems to be drummers elsewhere. :hmmm:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.