1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Music Babbling Post #4

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Beren, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Diecast's new album is pretty sweet - they've moved from almost tough guy hardcore into melodic metalcore. Its a bad genre, but it shows off increasing talent and their amazing vocals (which seperate them from the rest of the pack).

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

What album should I buy next? Give me some (good) ideas!

3. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Why don't you buy some classic Peter Gabriel HB?

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

What counts as "classic" Peter Gabriel then?

5. Saber

HB, get Diecast's Internal Revolution. Trust me.

What is good Gamma Ray?

6. Harbourboy

What's the point of a band that has replaced all of its original members even though it has been around for less than a decade? It's a bit silly to call it the same band really.

7. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

Harbs, any specific kind of music you're looking for?

I can only guess what your taste in music is like, but from what I've read from your posts so far, I think our musical tastes overlap at some points. Here is some stuff you might like (mostly classics and widely known albums, so you might have some of them already):

You seem like the type that enjoys a good compilation album every now and then:
    - Creedence Clearwater Revival - Chronicle. Shame on you if you haven't got this one. Alternatively, you could also get John Fogerty - The Long Road Home, released last year or the year before that. It mostly has old CCR hits on it.
    - Neil Young - Decade. Perhaps one of the best compilation albums ever made. Or better yet, get Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young's Deja Vu (again, shame on you if you don't have Deja Vu already).
    - Tracy Chapman - Collection. I heard this cd years ago, and thought it was so-so, I guess I just wasn't in the mood for it back then, because I heard it again the other day, and it sure sounded like something I would listen to more often in the future. You might also enjoy it.

OK, from Tracy Chapman, we go to some other kind of singer-songwriting:
    - Tom Waits - Closing Time. If you're not familiar with Tom Waits, get this one. It is a good introduction and quite enjoyable. If you ever seen him on tv or something like that with his raspy voice, forget about that, on this album he sounds very different.
    - Eva Cassidy - Eva By Heart, or Live At The Blues Alley (Or her compilation album Songbird). You seem like the kind of guy that enjoys female vocalists, and this lady had a great voice. She has some covers on her CDs which you surely know, and I'm pretty sure you would like her stuff. If you get anything by her, read into her story, it's actually quite sad, but gives you a bit of background information.

Did you enjoy that John Lee Hooker album you bought a while ago? You might also like:
    - B.B. King - Live At The Cook County Jail. Most people prefer Live At The Regal, but I kinda like this one. It is less raw old thumping blues than John Lee Hooker and perhaps a bit more rhythm and blues, but you might enjoy it. Be sure to not judge the album by the first track, for it is the worst one on there.
    - Albert King - Born Under A Bad Sign. It's a classic, and I have to shamefully admit that I don't have it. However, it is one of the few albums I dare to suggest without ever listening to it. It has more technical guitar than John Lee Hooker work in it, and he was an inspiration to many modern blues guitar slingers.

Perhaps you would like something more recent:
    - Bruce Springsteen - We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions. Released last year, this doesn't actually sound like most Springsteen material. This was some kind of blown out jam session with lots of folky tunes.

Or something a little bit harder:
    - Deep Purple - Fireball. I don't know what you think about hard rock/early heavy metal (if I remember correctly, you like some Led Zep), but if you do you might want to give this album a shot. I think you might enjoy this one the most of the great Deep Purple Mark II trilogy (In Rock/Fireball/Machinehead).

That's all for now. If you tell me which ones of these you like/already have I can perhaps give you some more ideas (and I promise it won't be such a long post next time).

8. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I adore 'Somewhere Out In Space', 'No World Order' and 'Heading for Tomorrow' :D

My favourit song by GR is 'Man on a Mission' but not the studio version on 'Land of the Free' which is bland and passionless. It has to be the 'Alive 95' version :cool:

9. Harbourboy

I don't have any of those, Mesmero. The one I would be most interested in would be the Seeger Sessions one. That got some good press and Springsteen has been doing some good stuff even though he doesn't really release singles much.

10. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I suppose anything that he hasn't made in the last 10 years.

11. Harbourboy

He's done stuff in the last 10 years!?

12. Saber

Right, just fell in love with Dream Theater. They're definately the Pink Floyd of metal.

13. Harbourboy

Well, I ended up getting:

Led Zeppelin - unnamed fourth album
    Robbie Williams - The Ego Has Landed
    Coldplay - Rush of Blood to the Head
    Duran Duran - Seven and the Ragged Tiger

That's enough new albums for now.

14. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Cúchulainn mentioned some good ones, if you are new to the band, then I would recommend 'A Blast From The Past' which is a compilation best-of-type thing. IIRC, the songs were chosen by the fans voting and the older songs were then redone by the more recent band line-up.

Can't say I ever really got into them. For the some reason I don't ever seem to really enjoy these 'classic' bands much. The same with Led Zeppelin.

15. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

It's good to see you're enjoying the albums I selected for you :p

The Bruce Springsteen album is really good. It might not be the kind of album you would sit down for to listen to, but it is great background music when you're doing stuff.

16. Harbourboy

I'll definitely put that Springsteen one on the short list for the near future, along with Born to Run, which I have been meaning to get for a while. Not sure that Neil Young is really my thing, though.

17. Saber

Alright, so Dream Theater has the gay vocals of Power Metal (not using gay as an insult, I mean they sound like stereotypical gay guys), with the talent of death metal and power metal combined. Plus the epic-ness of Pink Floyd.

18. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Well, after weeks of listening it against my will, I kinda took a liking to a couple of Disturbed songs. I like the perfect mix of heaviness and melody.

/me fires up stereo containing all three albums

19. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

My recordings are actually progressing. The only things that are still missing are the bass and vocals. I wonder if that deadbeat of a bassist is ever going to practice those songs or if I'll just have to play the damn bass myself.

I could either borrow his bass, or use my friend's...which has a nail as a nut. A nail!

Like Decados, I'd recommend starting with Blast from the Past. Then you can see which songs you like and get the respective albums (there are about three songs taken from each album). Land of the Free is commonly hailed as the ultimate classic. The only really weak one is Sigh No More, I'd say, but there's some good stuff there as well. I don't like the original vocalist, Ralf Scheepers. I much prefer Kai Hansen.

20. Saber

Kai Hansen has been around the block, hasn't he? Helloween, Blind Guardian, and Gamma Ray...

Did he sing for Helloween for Keeper of the Keys Part I and II, or is he the more recent one?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.