1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Music Babbling Post #4

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Beren, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    I'm rather enjoying it, especially the first disc. The only other Therion album I have is the Lemuria/Sirius B outing. I think I would recommend it, although I should probably mention that the death vocals have completely left now. Not that this is really all that bad considering the vocalists involved.

2. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I heard some samples from Nile's upcoming album.
    Death metal at it's best :D

3. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Sonata Arctica's new album, Unia, is very good.

4. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Huh? It seems I'm going to Tuska Open Air. EDIT: The page is mostly in Finnish, but you can see the bands in "Ohjelma".

I didn't wanna die in a mosh pit.
    Bugger.

5. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    There's some good stuff on there, Trellheim.

Perhaps if you wear some body armour? I hear field plate is in style this year.

6. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Ah, Trellheim, that is an awesome lineup! I really want to see Mercenary (one of my favorites) live, as I haven't yet.

If you're going, definitely check them out, they're well worth it.

7. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    *Writes 'Mercenary' next to 'Children of Bodom', 'Blind Guardian', 'Isis' and 'Finntroll' into a notebook*

I should have gone to Tuska earlier in 2004 when Dio, Mokoma and Sonata Arctica were playing.
    Dio played three songs from Rainbow (one of my favorites) ! :aww:

8. Saber

I was wondering: what is the appeal of Bob Dylan? I mean, my dad listens to him all the time so I hear him, but I find his voice wicked annoying. So I am confused as to how he can have such a huge fan base with such a god awful voice.

9. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

His voice is an aquired taste, I used to have similar feelings towards it, but then it grew on me. I find it kind of relaxing now really... if you are talking about his new stuff though, I can't comment on that.

10. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

It's all about what Bob Dylan says, not the way he says it.

11. Saber

True, but it is kind of hard to hear what he is saying because of the way he is saying it.

12. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Dylan has always been hard to pin down. His music and poetry grew out of the anxiety and angst of the so-called Beat Generation of the late 1950s. Writers such as Kesey and Ginsberg form a connection with the early Bob Dylan, as he was first hitting his stride as a musician-poet. His early music is his best, IMO, and it is loaded and charged with social commentary and political protest.

Dylan has often denied taking his name for his admiration for the Welsh poet, Dylan Thomas, but almost everyone knows that Bob is just spinning off on the denial (as he does many other aspects of his personal life). His earlier work also includes some great back-up work by the members of The Band, as well as Mike Bloomfield and Al Kooper - Bloomfield was a great rock-blues guitarist, and Kooper, a superb muscian, writer and producer.

After the 1960s, Dylan took a slide after his masterpiece - John Wesley Harding, which I highly recommend as Dylan's song writing and poetry are at their peak - he realeased a terrible record, Self Portrait. After going through a divorce he came back with Blood on the Tracks, another great recording, seething with Dylan's pain and anger. Dylan then went through his born-again period. Almost always a purist, Dylan recorded two very good records - Slow Train Coming and Saved. Of the two, Slow Train Coming is pure Dylan.

The most recent recording I have of Dylan's is Time out of Mind, and while it is pretty good, it doesn't play as well as Dylan's earlier stuff, at least to my way of thinking. I have heard a few tracks off of Modern Times and Love and Theft and they too are interesting, and while quite good, still seem a bit flat.

Dylan remains an original in a "rock" scene full of cookie-cutter players, who lack his intelligence, purity and artistic integrity.

[ July 11, 2007, 05:33: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

13. Saber

:p I do not doubt his intelligence, political awareness (and activism), and integrity, I just don't like his voice :D

But I do recognize him as an artist who is to be respected and admired.

But thank you for explaining his appeal.

14. Chandos the Red

Media:
    NP, Saber. ;)

15. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

The US government replaced the real Bob Dylan with a clone or a cyborg or a doppleganger a long time ago. Right before the first electric stuff came out. :D

16. Saber

The Police were awesome last night... man, Sting is great. I prefer his stuff alone than with The Police, but it was a great concert nonetheless. He will probably be singing until he dies.

17. Saber

I've almost filled up my 80 gb iPod... obscure black and death metal bands will do that to ya.

18. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    80gb of music? Man, that's a lot, Saber! How many thousands of songs is that? I've got my 30gb iPod a little over half full and that's about 3,000 songs.

19. Saber

I've used 63gb so far, and it's 9909 songs (I have a lot at 320 kbps instead of the crappy 128 kbps that iTunes likes to waste your time with).

20. Chandos the Red

Media:
    I hear you, Saber. I cut my own CDs at 192kbps, instead of 128. 128Kbps is just not very good for sound quality. I have about 5000 tracks on 30 GBs of HD space on my desktop PC, ATM. But quite a few are still downloads from various sites at 128k. My MP3 player is my cellphone and I have about 50 tracks on it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.