1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Music Babbling Post #4

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Beren, Sep 7, 2006.

1. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Two thoughts:

First, live albums are awesome to listen to while driving.

Second, Marathon by Rush is way sweeter than I remember.

2. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

The new Down record, Over the Under, is coming out on September 25th.

3. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Sep 10th - new Iced Eath album! :D

4. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Hmm, no-one seems to rate 'Amaranth' by Nightwish. I don't agree with the view that 'it sounds like every other band of that type'. It's recognisably Nightwish. And it's a good song, dammit.

Oh, and the album is out this time next month too.

5. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I was never a big fan of Nightwish... I prefer other gothic metal (or symphonic metal?) over them. Not sure why, though.

6. Saber

Anyone else like Boston (the band, not my city :p )?

7. Dinsdale Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Media:
    I used to love Boston back when I was in high school, but not so much now. Still, they're a good band. I guess I just got burned out on them.

8. Saber

Does King Diamond have balls? His voice is too high for him to not be a eunuch.

9. Susipaisti

He's just doing a falsetto. It does take a bit of practice to get it that high.

10. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Same problem with Robert Plant and some other singers, it's like someone's constantly squeezing their boys.

11. Saber

Hah, I know, but still... that is HIGH! I applaud him for being able to do it, that is very talented.

12. Susipaisti

Speaking of falsettos, David DeFeis of Virgin Steele is frighteningly good at that stuff. As in, not just squealing your head off, but actually singing in that register.

13. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

King Diamond... now you're talking!

To fully appreciate Diamond, see it live, if possible. The show unfolds like a story, and it's truly a sight.

A few years ago, I went to one of his shows - I was a little wasted so my memories are somewhat hazy, but I clearly remember that at the end of the show, Diamond got inside a coffin, which was set on fire. Of course it was arranged, but it was pretty cool nontheless.

14. Saber

Machine Head is pretty good live. I saw them, Arch Enemy, Sanctity, and Throwdown (except Throwdown didn't show up, which sucks, 'cause I was really excited to see them). Machine Head was definitely the best, Sanctity was pretty good, and Arch Enemy was alright. But Arch Enemy pissed me off because their set change was 45 minutes, they played for an hour, which wouldn't be bad except that they don't know how to put on a live show... all Angela does to get the crowd excited is have them chant "Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey"... two to three times a song! It got annoying after the first few times. But the show was fun overall.

15. Susipaisti

:banana: The new Down record is here.

I've only played it through once so far, but it seems great. It reminds me more of II than Nola. Some of the songs hit me like a sledgehammer right away, but most require a little more time and attention before they really sink in.

That's the way good albums are - you can't absorb them all at once.

Edit: After giving the cd a second spin I can say that it's a brilliant album. Kicks ass like nobody's business.

[ September 25, 2007, 21:32: Message edited by: Susipaisti ]

16. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I'm playing the entire Hellsing Anime soundtrack :D

17. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Recently got Iced Earth's new album: Framing Armageddon. I've had the chance to listen through it a few times. The Ripper is pleasantly surprising- he does well, even making a reasonable attempt at emotional singing on a couple of tracks.

Overall, it definitely isn't a return to the older, thrashier days, but this is not necessarily a bad thing. The different style of the instrumentals and the really powerful songs (especially the title track) cover for the weaker sections of the album. I'd be pretty happy recommending it to anyone interested.

18. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I downloaded the new Radiohead album today, In Rainbows. I'm not really a fan of their stuff, but overall it is pretty solid, and genuinely good at times. Definitely worth whatever you pay for it, www.inrainbows.com.

19. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    Thanks for the hint. :p I do feel kind of guilty not paying for it, I actually would if it weren't that much hassle.

I've also discovered that I do have a favourite music genre. I listen to everything, but electronica, in particular trip-hop/downtempo, is most prominent in my music collection.

20. Fairie Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Media:
    Second Stage Turbine Blade by Coheed and Cambria. One, if not the, best album I've ever heard in my life.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.