1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Music Post (or Random Metal Babbling)

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Undertaker, Nov 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

2. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

That's an awfully generalised vision of hiphop. This may apply to modern commercial hiphop, but I like to think there is more to old school hiphop than that. I mean, hiphop in the early days was just music to party on and had little sexual or drugs related content. And just like so many other music styles it started as purely underground music. Rappers in the early days were pretty passionate about what they did, and more looking for respect than money (and I'm sure many still are, you just don't hear about them that much).

Just compare it to how somebody not into metal might look at it. They will purely see the most mainstream form, which is what nowadays, Nu Metal? But you guys say that isn't what metal is about; there is more to metal than that, just like there is more to hiphop than what you might see at first sight.

Now, you may not believe it when you read my little rant above, but I'm not really a hiphop fan. I wouldn't put up a hiphop album (I actually don't own any), but I still appreciate it occasionally. When something like Rappers Delight comes on the radio, I crank up the volume.

I'm not saying you should like hiphop, or listen to it, but geez dude, be a bit more open minded.

3. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

*Sigh* Everyone says that to me... but my 'generalization' comes from listening to rap and hiphop for the last 4 or 5 years (not from my choice). Nearly everything that I've heard has been about sex, drugs, money, or a variant of those. I try being open minded, but its frustrating to hear the same beat, lyrics, and voice over and over and over again. I may not appear open minded, but I think that with the volume of rap I have heard, I can make such a generalization.

You say that rappers in the early days were fine. Well, we aren't in the early days, we are in today, and I was talking about today. Perhaps I should have made that more clear. But if you look at it, my generalization applies to most rappers nowadays.

So: Rap that has come out in recent years is very rarely about anything except sex, drugs, money, clubbin', or variants of the above.

And lets stop talking about stuff we don't even like...

Heh, sorry DotW, I just had to defend myself position a tad bit further...

EDIT: Someone respond, I want to babble, but on an entirely different topic.

[ January 22, 2006, 02:49: Message edited by: Saber ]

4. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

The urge to babble is too strong, eh?

At any rate, I'm listening to some vintage punk - The Exploited. Pretty good stuff.

@Undertaker: Yeah, well, I don't have much choice in the matter. As long as I am at school, I cannot possibly pay everything myself, so I consider that a necessary evil. Luckily, his urges to listen to his ****ing rap happen maybe twice a year.

5. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I understand your pain. But you can always play some nice piece of music (like very brutal death metal or funeral doom - no non metaller I know can survive this for more then 15 minutes :p )

6. Saber

Do you guys prefer Trivium's 'Ascendancy' or 'Ember to Inferno'?

And does anyone like Eric Burdan and the Animals? I don't listen to them myself, but my dad has them on all of the time, and I enjoy them when I listen to them.

And how about Lamb of God?

7. Undertaker Gems: 27/31

Ad1- both
    Ad2 - no
    Ad3 - nope

8. Saber

Heh, I didn't think you would like the second, because it most certainly is not metal...

But why not LoG? They are thrash. A lot of their stuff sounds the same, yes, but not too bad, methinks.

9. Undertaker Gems: 27/31

Me no like LoG. Simple. Me prefferst true trash. Like Coroner, Kreator, etc.

10. Saber

Right-O.

DotW, if you want to bug the hell out of your brother (or anyone, for that matter), play Sworn Enemy. Its a good band, but the guy's voice gets so aggravating to listen to, because it is so harsh. PUNISH THE MORTAL FOR LISTENING TO RAP! :evil:

11. Disciple of The Watch

*shrugs*

Well, Saber, thanks to all the swearing, cursing and yelling I done the last few days, my bro puts on damn headphones, now, so I don't hear that damn beat.

All Out War is playing in the background as a sort of retaliation. :evil:

*EDIT* That reminds me, a new Celtic Frost album called Monotheist has been announced for release in spring 2006.

[ January 22, 2006, 22:27: Message edited by: Disciple of The Watch ]

12. Warrior of the World

Warrior of the World Questing through space

Ha! A True Metal festival in Scotland. All is well.

www.ragnarokfestival.com

As for the Divine Wings of Tragedy, I have only heard the Accolade and Of Sins and Shadows. I like the Oddyssey, though.

13. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Warrior, you're missing out. Candlelight Fantasia is one of the greatest songs ever. The whole album is fantastic. My favourite album of everything I've ever heard

14. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I hate HipHop/Rap! :bang: An 'artist' just doesn't get my respect if they don't play a single instrument! They rip off a good old song and remix it, and totally disgrace it by "rapping" to it.

By now I think everyone knows much I hate that Ebonics bullsh** and using in a rap "song" just makes me hate that 'artist' even more. :nono:

And wtf is "bling bling"?!?!? :flaming: Who ever created that phrase needs to get shot. :mad: :rolling:

15. Saber

Haha, Kitrax, I heartily agree :D No instrument, not a musical artist.

*Content Sigh* I love the gutting of the english language :p ;)

I can't wait for the New England Metal and Hardcore Festival... 12 hours a day of great metal for 3 days... :D

16. Disciple of The Watch

Kitrax, imagine how incensed I was when I heard the rap version of Ozzy Osbourne's "Crazy Train"...

17. Undertaker Gems: 27/31

Imagine how many bad words I used when I heard that.

@Kitrax: mostly I agree but keep in mind that most singers in bands just can't play ANY instrument, they just sing/growl/whatever ;)

18. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Wasn't there a plan to include 'ebonics' as an official language in the US at one point?

The last Slayer DVD I watched had these white guys that thought they were black, which I though was extremely amusing.

19. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I prefer Ascendancy. Superb guitarwork. That riff in the chorus of "Pull Harder On The Strings Of Your Martyr" is brilliant.

20. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Yeah, I wonder, does voice count as an instrument, or all singers per definition stupid if they don't also do an instrument? *fumes*

Anyhow, listening to some AC/DC, heheh, the songs mostly sound the same, but that's okay because they sound good :cool:

I also need some advice here... What are particularly angry and/or gloomy metal bands? I've seen genres being thrown around that I've never heard of, let alone the bands... My, methinks this thread might become quite the feeding ground ^^.

On another note, all the SPers, or at the least all the european ones, should gather at some metal festival some time... that'd be freaking awesome!

:borg:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.