1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random non-M$ OS babbling

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Disciple of The Watch, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Stable. Having an internet connection bandwidth capped at 1GB/month, I cannot really afford to regularly update to the bleeding edge builds.

And yes, I understand Debian brings no warranty regarding security, but it's probably better than a naked Slackware system.

FreeBSD is supposedly secure by default. I got tired of banging my head in the wall trying to build a basic workstation.

2. Disciple of The Watch

Well, as my other thread says, I did plenty of experimenting and I FINALLY succeeded in building a FreeBSD workstation.

I banged my head in the wall so bad I think I might have scars from the brick Turns out the problem was actually with me. While similar, Linux and FreeBSD are their own OS, and I had to think differently to adjust to FreeBSD.

So, now I have a BSD workstation. I got my PPPoE running by tweaking ppp.conf, and secured it with Firestarter.

The only things left on the to-do list are installing either Xfce or Fluxbox, because let's face it -- I hate KDE.

FreeBSD is good stuff. Better than Linux.

3. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Does FreeBSD have emacs and SBCL?

4. Disciple of The Watch

IIRC, emacs can be installed by mounting the second disk and using pkg_add -- if it's not already installed. SBCL? There are a few packages in lisp whose name include SBCL, so I assume that built as a whole, lisp does include SBCL.

5. Morgoth

Media:
    Good to hear that, as an avid Lisp programmer I can't live without a decent interpreter and an excellent editor.

6. Disciple of The Watch

Morg, got a question for ya.

As you know, I have a PPPoE connection.

I tweaked /etc/ppp/ppp.conf to the following:

Code:
    default:
     set log Phase tun command
     set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0
    isp:
     set device PPPoE:lnc0:isp
     set authname yyyyy
     set authkey zzzzz
     set dial
     set login
    yyyyy and zzzzz represent my user and pass - not dumb enough to post my true user name and pass.

Then, I fire up a xterm and bring up the connection via ppp -ddial isp. ifconfig shows me that tun0 has acquired a IP from my ISP, meaning that there's a connection. However, firing up Opera does squat - it's like I'm not connected.

I've set aside the possibility of overzealous firewalling by first trying to bring up my connection without firewalling rules defined.

So, did I got something wrong somewhere?

7. Morgoth

Media:
    Perhaps you should try to telnet to sorcerers (for example) using port 80 as the destination and then type something like GET. To make sure that the problem is with your connection and not Opera.

8. Disciple of The Watch

Even the BSD forums were unable to help me with that problem.

I swapped the lnc0 in favor of em0, perfectly emulating my physical network card, tried changing networking from bridged to NAT in VMware, and even trying to create a VPN, all without success.

I've checked on my ISP's side, and all my connections attempts under the FreeBSD VM show up in the list, but with no incoming/outgoing data.

And Morg, telnet...? :skeptic: :skeptic: :skeptic: :skeptic: Care to enlighten me here?

9. Morgoth

Media:
    Weel I suggested you telnet to some server with 80 as destination, when you then perform a HTTP GET request with your telnet session and get something back from the server then you would know that the problem is with your browser and not the connection.
    But isn't BSD still running on VMWare? Doesn't VMWare does something funky with your network settings? Is PPP even needed? Doesn't VMWare make a virtual network between your host machine and your virtual machine? Perhaps eth0 would work.

10. Disciple of The Watch

PPP is needed for my bastard internet connection.

The only big changes VMware creates is two virtual network cards (one for the bridged, and one for the PPP adapter), and uses this bridge to communicate with the physical NIC. No point in doing a full-blown install of FreeBSD on a physical HD if the net doesen't work, which is why I currently run it in virtual.

Debian never complained about bridged network, and always worked good. Same thing for Slackware. FreeBSD, however, is a totally different game. lnc0, em0... I can establish a connection, but no data runs through. Konqueror, Firefox, Opera... you name it, I tried it.

I do have an old version of VMware, though, so maybe that's the problem. Looks like it's gonna be time to phone my buddy once again.

11. Morgoth

Media:
    I just switched from IceWM to XFCE4.. man this stuff is good :)

12. Disciple of The Watch

Though I'm a Fluxbox junkie now, the latest version of Xfce is really freaking sweet.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.