1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random School/Work-Venting Post

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Iku-Turso, Jul 19, 2006.

1. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Well it wasn't really an interview... I was just hired pretty much since he wanted to get me this summer, but I turned 18 a week too late.

Also I have a job for next school year that comes with free housing! Need to find one this year though.

2. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Name of the rant: History of Pharmacy + Ethics
    Reason(s) of rant:
    1. There is no literature for this, rather a collection of various books (which is fine, if they would let me transcribe the list of them at the first place :mad:). With every book there is a comment "oh, but this is not suitable (too good) for you so use judgment"
    1a. They are not giving any handouts or posting the lecture materials in the net centre for DL, so you have to sit there and virtually TRANSCRIBE a boatload of .ppt slides... So middle ages, but without the fun manuscript part. And the woman can talk for hours :(

0. (The Reason): They are having lectures on Saturdays, because the teachers were on some seminar or something when they should have kept them. The fact that the majority of the generation doesn't live in this city doesn't bother anyone.

Bottom line - I don't mind attending the damn thing, but, woman, either publish your own damn book or let me use some other relevant source. It's rather stupid to force a whole amphitheatre of people to sit there transcribing what you took from other books...It's the 21st century! Who needs transcribing lessons?!
    Did I mention that writing occupies so much of the time that I have no idea what the lesson was about and it was half an hour ago...

P.S. The matter covered with the lectures is actually quite interesting - all sorts of old medicines, beliefs and practices... which probably just makes it worse.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  3. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Well done! The free housing by itself will save you TONS of money.

4. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

The thing is though, is that the job pays shockingly little... but is still a good job. I would be on call from 4PM-8AM 3-5 nights a week to go and fix things for the university. While on call I get a single dollar per hour (they might up it to $2) and while I'm working after being called in, it is $12. Now the working money is certainly good, but I doubt I will get called in much, so I'm only expecting to make about $60-85 dollars a week... but it is still fine with the housing :D

5. Ziad

Media:
    When you're getting something as massive as free housing you cannot look at the money you're earning as the income. How much do you pay for rent? $150 a week? $200? That's your income. The rest is just an extra bonus. When you look at it this way, it does pay well :)

6. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Well... it ends up that I'm not going to take the job, since they are looking for someone to work it for the next three years and I wasn't really willing to commit to that without ever working it :D

However, that won't be too big of an issue, since I will be fine financially after this school year as I still have the job for summer and should be able to find a Spring one. I still might end up taking the troubleshooting job two years from now (he said he'd pretty much give it to me if I wanted), but either way I'm fine.

7. Ziad

Media:
    IT IS DONE! IT IS DONE! :banana:

I have just finished putting the last touches on my thesis and have just saved the PDF. Now for my boss to have one last look at it to make sure I didn't miss anything major and it's off to the printer!

Next stop, final examination in January. Once I pass this I can submit the final copy and start a new life!

Exciting times ahead.

8. Loreseeker

Media:
    Congratulations on your thesis, Z.! :clap:
    I'm sure you'll do great on the defense of it, too. :)

There is something depressing in cleaning up and sorting everything up in the lab (after a few hours of real lab work), just so you can come in the next day and realise that the place looks like a bomb fell (again).
    I'm not especially tidy, but there is constructive chaos, and there is Chaos.
    My mentor is great, but I wish she was just a touch more methodical. With our current MO it takes over an hour to start any reaction (mostly because we are fishing for equipment all over the institute and doing the last minute dish-washing, acetone induced water removal :p and drying stuff).

9. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Hmmm...very interesting...

My school's website is claiming that I got an 'A' in both of my classes this past quarter...and if that's true, that would put me within grasp of "Highest Honors" if I continue to get straight A's next quarter as well. :D While I'm not valedictorian or salutatorian material, being in the top 5% of my class would give me a chance to say, "Ha! What now bi**es?!?" to all those teachers who told me I was a goofball who would never amount to anything. :evil:

However, knowing my luck...and the reliability of my school's website...I probably got a 'C' or worse in both classes... :bad: We'll just have to wait for the grades to become official. But if I did in fact get an 'A' in both classes, I'll be getting another fancy honors certificate to put in my portfolio. :rolling:

10. Ziad

Media:
    [​IMG] So here I am, one week later, still correcting the bloody stupid thesis. I printed the damn thing today, celebrated, got home... and noticed that a number of my figures and the table of contents are pointing at the wrong pages. More corrections followed.

Enough already! :mad:

11. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

I've had a little switch in attitude at work. I let the moronic customers do the talking. If they want to greet me, I'll greet them back, otherwise take what you need, pay and [censored] off.

I'll probably get slammed by complaints about my rudeness by both customers and mystery customers, though. If they don't like it, they can all suck my [censored]. I'm not a polite, nice, smiling machine.

12. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Neither is Sal. Difference is he has to work with children :D

He's thinking of quitting the job... now has changed his mind after I've suggested alternatives he previously shot down and being offered a transfer to another Games Workshop store.

13. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

I also could ask for a transfer - my new workplace would be like 30 seconds away from where I live. With that little [censored] at work hating me (the feeling being mutual), my boss being as stable as a pendulum (it gets on one's nerves) and getting seriously fed up of 38 hours a week in this [censored] store, I've given this possibility some serious thought. I promised my bro I'd stick around till January, and if there's one thing in this word that is unbreakable, it's my word. He's aware of my idea of jumping ship and actually is fine with it, unlike when I first talked to him about the idea.

14. Ziad

Media:
    Thesis is submitted and out of my hands - FINALLY! :banana:

I won't go into the maddening details of last-second (or last 40 hours, in this case) problems and woes and horrors. It doesn't matter anymore - it's in the college office, making its way to my examiners, and I have nothing to do with it until the 21st of January.

Until then I'll enjoy a well-deserved rest! :D

Or so I thought... in reality I'll be running around like a headless chicken sorting all the last-minute stuff and figuring out how to move all the junk in my flat...

15. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Bittersweetness= Staying up till 4:00AM to finish a paper that is due later that day... and having that class canceled.

Edit, cancel that, it's just bitterness. It turns out that despite being canceled the papers were still due today and he does not accept late papers (20% of grade)... It looks like I will be forced into using one my valuable withdraws to get me out of the course as I can't afford the GPA hit (for my scholarship). Three possible credits, and hours upon hours down the drain there :(

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  16. Loreseeker

Media:
    For several weeks now, I've been looking forward to my Medieval History of Medicine and Pharmacy classes, especially since I was hoping for depictions of decorated manuscripts :love: , illuminations and preparations from the period.

However, the course is short (just a few lessons), the lecturers focus on legislature, and most of my favourite topics from the period barely got a footnote. :(

True, some aspects of it - the Salerno school teachings (mulieres salernitanae and the introduction of magister and doctor titles...) for example, were quite fun to learn about, but I feel like someone promised me a beach and delivered a handful of sand.

Rather disappointing, really. :(

17. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Dead-week shouldn't include a 5-10 page analysis due two days after it is assigned :(

18. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

OMGZ (lol), I think I actually did well on the test for previously mentioned class... Which means I'm sure to be disappointed :(

19. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Oh man....our company is screwed.

The announced last Friday that they are going to layoff over 12% of the company's global employees; our yearly performance raises have been postponed until mid-Q2; they've changed our schedules so that every week is now a "long week" but we don't get anymore overtime...and we work *every* Saturday; the stock purchase plan has been suspended indefinitely; they're reducing our plant's capacity...so there's often nothing to do, and if they catch anyone playing games, they will probably be added to the layoff list. :bad:

I'm almost hoping they lay me off, that way I could find a better paying job without having to pay back the $44,000 they've already paid for my schooling. The only downside to leaving is that I'd have to drop out of school for awhile, as I would have to pay my school $37,000 to finish my degree...that's right kids, a 4 year degree at ITT Technical Institute costs over $81,000...actually, it's more than that because they raise the price every quarter or so. :eek:

20. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Good Luck, Kitrax :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.