1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random School/Work-Venting Post

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Iku-Turso, Jul 19, 2006.

1. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I'm late sometimes :o

Usually because I never know until I try and get up how my joints are that day. There's a world of difference between walking, being on crutches and being in a chair to when and how quickly I will get somewhere.

Especially if hills are involved.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    LKD, you can't set rules for that? I've had a few university professors that made it clear in the beginning of the year that if you're late, tough luck, don't bother trying to come into the classroom because he'll just send you back out. Can't say I liked any of them for it because especially for students that come from relatively afar it's not always possible to be right on time (or early) for various objective reasons, but the rules are rules, so I just had to make sure I was there early just in case.

Most of the professors don't care about anyone coming in late because they become so engrossed in their monologues they don't even notice it, but some take it almost as a personal insult, making sure they stop talking for a while, staring intently at those who come in late... you know, the "stranger enters the saloon" kind of dead silence... :shake:

3. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I've always asked lecturers if they have a 'late limit' to their lectures after at Bournemouth it was standard first fifteen minutes you could come in for, then again the lecturers were never on time either!

So at Solent I asked, they said ten minutes should be fine, apart from one lecturer who stood and looked at me with an incredibly dumb expression until I left the room. Odd sod that one.

4. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Rule of thumb when I was in college was that if you were more than 5 minute late, it was counted as an absence. You could still attend and participate, but you were still counted absent.
    Of course, there were very few courses that this mattered in. Most of my instructors only cared about making sure I was doing the work, not whether or not my rump was in a chair.

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I found it far more effective to welcome them into the class. Just stop everything and say your glad they could make it, I would tell them I would rather have them come in late than not attend. After a few days of this, the late arrivals really didn't happen -- everybody was there on time.

It's absolutely amazing how much better people respond when you let them know they are reason you (the teacher) are there -- and that you want them to do well.

6. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Indecision is over finally regarding classes for me this year. I decided to withdraw from WSU and just take a couple general classes at the CC in town. I wanted to purse a major in Kinesiology or some other pre-physical therapy classes, but the courses were full, and I didn't want to use loan money on classes I won't use. The loan counseling for exit kinda scared me, but it isn't too bad.

On another note, my new job (20hrs a week) is actually kind of fun. It is at a mexican food joint that is kind of a slow paced fast food. Fun people to work for, and kind of entertaining job.

7. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    My school tried to f*** me over once again. I am *one* class away from having my AAS degree in hand, so they scheduled that class on a Wednesday...after I fought an endless battle last quarter to prevent that from happening! :bang: To make things worse, they also scheduled me for a Thursday class! So I fought the same battle this quarter, and lost yet again. (Yeah, if you ever see an ITT Tech commercial on TV and they tout "flexible schedules"...that's a bunch of F***ING BULLS***!!!)

Surprisingly, my work is actually being helpful (sort of). They're letting me "adjust my schedule on Wed and Thurs so I work 4 hours into the next shift. Not the best solution, but it'll work for the next 11 weeks. I'm going to be tired as hell on Thursday and Friday nights though..... :sleep:

8. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I really should start making some research for my bachelor's thesis soon, but right now the many student parties at the beginning of the semester are keeping me waaaaaaay too busy for that :p

9. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    @Morgoroth: It is basically a matter of prioritizing - what is more important, tonight's party or you bachelor?

Or to put it another way, which one can be postponed? Well, the party is tonight and may never be repeated, so ....

Conclusion: :beer: :banana: :beer: :banana: :beer:

10. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Well I guess I could combine the two and make it a bachelor's party! First I'd just had to find a girl to marry me first. Or perhaps I can setup someone else for that. :p

On a more serious note, I'm not in much hurry with the bachelor's thesis since the first seminars have not even started yet but I'd like to be there with a pretty good idea about what I'm going to write about well in advance and for that some preliminary research is required.

11. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

English and Spanish tomorrow... should be a low-key day.

Against my expectations, the [expletive]heads at college look to have what vaguely looks like a brain -- I was classified in English 103, which is the highest possible. This should be a freaking walk in the park.

Still not pleased with the amount of time needed to travel to college... but I'm only there for four months, and besides, 23 hours a week is a relatively low-key schedule... I work on Thursdays, seeing as I have but one class scheduled, and the usual week-ends. At least I'm spared from doing Saturday evenings, I'll be working as a double instead, but will do Sunday evenings. Good enough for me.

12. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Just had my last day at work, yay! Preparing for a three-day vacation and then it's back to uni for my master degree :banana:

13. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

So, I tried to go to college today. I missed the boat I need to catch to cross to the South shore, and because of that, I also missed my bus. Then my moronic French teacher calls saying I have too many absences and that this puts me in a "fail" situation. Explained the fact I had to juggle with trying to get transfered to another college closer to home, get an appointment for a program switch and traveling, and he just didn't care.

Look, I like Spanish and German, but three hours of traveling every day is too much for me. I'll return to work near full time, and then it's gonna be take two at the college 15 minutes on foot from where I live.

14. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Heh...my work is *finally* switching over to M$ Office 2007...they're only 2 years late, but people are still freaking out. :shake:

15. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    So close to version 2010. There are companies still switching to vista from xp.

After many many years, finally an outside company is hired to teach my bosses how to handle sick employees. Until now co-workers had no restriction but were asked nicely not to be sick so many times. Some rules here are so left-wing that US Democrats get red heads of shame from it.

A nice Human Resources lady explained it all, trying to be political correct(left). So I asked If anyone could be fired if they were unjustified sick, or would just be hugged more.(I really said it in those words).

And? It was a No. But they would try very hard to get an other job for them.(without hugging is suspect).

16. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You don't have companies hiring private detectives to check up on those people who fake illnesses? It's getting more and more common over here... and a private detective finding you mowing your lawn when you're supposed to be in bed is definitely grounds for termination...

17. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    My one workplace has officially said to stay home if you are sick, no matter what. I expect the other to follow suit soon. The policy was put in place from swine flu fear, I'm sure.

18. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I am to translate a booklet from German corporate new speak into English corporate new speak. 'Quick reaction agility', wtf?! Double plus fast!

19. Taluntain

Media:
    I got a German girl who spoke practically perfect English on the phone last year. You can imagine my shock, when the entire company couldn't find a person I could correspond with in decent English via e-mail, but all of a sudden she calls me and can SPEAK it properly. I can't remember the last time I was so amazed. :shake:

20. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    There is an info mailing list at my faculty.
    It's rather handy for getting all sorts of official notices, some useful.

If only a fraction of users weren't mindboggingly dim/obnoxious. :bang:

There are over 500 people on the mailing list. None of them need or want to receive e-mails from two idiots flaming each other, or sending greetings and chatting. You don't send an e-mail to *everyone* when you want to talk/reply to one person!

I'm sick and tired of having to delete such stupid e-mails from my inbox.
    Worst bit is that the people running the list don't seem to mind/care. At all!

I should just stop using the damn thing - but it's actually useful, when the official stuff gets published - and a huge improvement from hiking across four floors checking to see if any of the institutes have a new announcement pinned to their doors.

*drops the hammer and takes a deep breath*

Much better. (This thread is surprisingly useful... )

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.