1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random School/Work-Venting Post

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Iku-Turso, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Put their email addresses on spam lists, most spam nowadays is crafty enough to avoid the Bayesian filters, almost guaranteed delivery :)

Edit:
    Had my first week of uni, and taking three simultaneous courses can actually be quite hard. :/

2. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Morgoth: Ouch - that can't be fun.

Interesting suggestion ( :p ) but I'm trying to be nice in case they really don't know how to use the list - someone should explain/show them how. (It's a possibility knowing some of the crowd.)
    Others deserve a lightning bolt in the face - but I don't really want to waste time arguing with them. After all: "World is filled with fools and crooked trees."

3. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Damn, I move back into school today. Le sigh.

4. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I have my own flat, but still haven't heard if I passed my retakes :o

5. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Applied for five jobs for next year a week or so ago. Heard back a No from one (by mail? that can't be usual) Friday. Three still unheard from. And got my first job interview ever coming up for another.

I've been really luck so far. All jobs I've been interested in in the past I've known someone who has known the person hiring, so have generally got in without any formal process. Sort of jumping into this industry (if that's the right word) without any contacts though, so this interview thing should be a fun new experience.

Anyone have any good tips, besides the usual "be on time" "remain calm" etc?

6. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    Be yourself. Employers like honesty. That's one of the reasons I was hired at my current job. When she asked me what my worst flaw was, I told her I was trying to build my self confidence, which was very true. I figured that if she didn't hire me, I would give her a guilt trip for destroying my confidence. :lol: But, my honesty won her over and I have been there for two years! :)

Oh, and look everyone in the eyes and give good and firm handshakes. That's important. :)

7. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

The big key is to just get those applications out. If you get asked for an interview it is time to realize that you are in control of the situation. Eye contact is a real biggie, as it shows that you're trustworthy... despite how uncomfortable it may seem. Another thing that my employers have liked is that I am loose and relaxed going into interviews, be professional, but be yourself.

8. Saber

First day of classes today... I got into a Documentary-making class that I wanted, which will be good, and now I just have to wiggle my way into two/three more interesting classes and dump the ones I have now! Things are looking (relatively) up right now.

And, I haven't gotten hospitalized yet so far, which is more than I can say about the first week of last year!

9. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Checked my results online today. I passed one of my retakes but got 35/40 on the other so didn't pass.

Am going to have to wait for the paper copy to arrive to figure out what to do now.

Disgustingly I'm not surprised, I tried to contact my tutor for the subject I failed as I could not access the university resources at all, I could not use my log in or password and she just kept telling me to make sure I'm logged in. I had to rebuild the database and make the application as well on a variant that didn't even seem to like my code even though it was a copy that had worked on the university machines.

My mother is going to kill me. Probably a good thing I'm moving out soon.

10. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    This quarter at school is going to suck.

The amount of reading required for my 'Contemporary World Culture" class is absurd! Roughly 300 pages a week! :eek: I haven't read much of anything in the past few years, and even then it took me around a month to read that many pages of a good book.

I have a feeling I'm going to fail this class. :bang:

11. Saber

Wait, 8, that is an 87.5 percent, how is that not a passing grade?

12. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] The mark is capped at 40% because it's a retake, it's ridiculous. It's because I didn't have the evidence my scripts worked... because the PROGRAM DIDN'T WORK.

Seriously, I pretty much failed my database administration project because the database administrators weren't doing *their* job!

13. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    8, be happy, database administration is BLarrgh. Especially if you have to use Oracle *shudder*

14. 8people

Media:
    [​IMG] I had to use Apex.

Why happy?

This means I have to do this a THIRD TIME!

15. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Well, the lecture schedule for my upcoming school year is out - with one small problem - I have six subjects this semester - there are only *three* on the schedule.

Stupid curriculum reform. I get shoved around my own faculty at my final (5th) year (old programme) and treated like a second grade student just because they can't accommodate all the people that (of course) passed the new reformed and simplified course.
    Well that's not my problem! It was pretty obvious, after all.

I'm graduating this year, damn it (assuming I don't mess something up *real* bad :p ) and I want to enjoy my faculty time - not get crammed in an impossible time schedule just so that the other group would get the best of it.

They are not polar bears!

Bah. It's not like it matters how I feel. The whole system is the worst implementation of a theoretically plausible idea since... communism. (to quote someone I know)

16. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Hmm, thinking of it, my work was uneventful today.

17. Saber

Making a documentary is fun, but it is a ton of work... and I already have a full schedule... le sigh, no sleep for me this semester.

18. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I'm going to have to spend all weekend working on this proposal and I most likely still won't get it done on time :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

19. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I could have been earning money today, but thanks entirely and directly to EA Sports, i'm not.

Their evil knows no bounds.

Edit: "Today" is one word.

20. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

I am now known as the "King of Rated-R Negativity" at work. :shake: Suits me, wouldn't you say?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.