1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Sports Babbling Post 2

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by dmc, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

In the CFL, the Calgary Stampeders have been getting Headlines for the over the top touchdown celebrations. Including imitating a Relay, a Bobsled team and an excercise bike. Really hilarious. But they can't take it when the shoe is on the other foot. The BC Lions embarrassed them hardcore and they complained about them running up the score, accused the one player of having a lame (well actually they called it gay, but after the fiasco in AoDA, I'll stick with lame), and claiming that there were bounties of a steak dinner paid for injuries.

It's entertaining. Not enough to get me to watch the games, but enough to make me wait until the commercials on Sportscenter to go to the Can...

2. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Here's mine Barmy a little different from yours

Test Team

Mike Hussey
    Rahul Dravid
    Ricky Ponting (Capt)
    Mohammed Yousuf
    Jacques Kallis
    Andrew Flintoff
    Kumar Sangakkara
    Shane Warne
    Makhaya Ntini
    Gelnn McGrath
    Muttiah Muralitharan

For me Mike Hussey is a fantastic utility player can bat anywhere 1-6 and with Dravid great opening partnership. Ponting, Yousuf and Kallis are much the same aas each other if you don't get them early they will hurt you with hundreds, quite often big ones. Flintoff batting at 6 is intimidating add to this his bowling and that he is probably one of the best slip fielders in the world. Sangakkara not the greatest keeper in the world but the best batting keeper in world cricket. Warne best wrist spinner ever and tenacious batsmen, Ntini termendous strike bowler when used well, Mcgrath the control bowler still the best at that; and Murali the best at his craft.

Thought Processes:
    Kevin Pietersen v Jacques Kallis, Kallis won due to his bowling
    Michael Vaughan v Ricky Ponting without a doubt the 2 best tacticians in world cricket, with Vaughan being the more astute, Ponting won though as he's playing at the moment.
    Makhaya Ntini v Brett Lee v Shoaib Ahktar the most dificult choice of the lot, in the end I based it on rankings, but any of them would do a good job
    Glenn McGrath v Simon Jones If he was fit and healthy I would pick Jones everytime, good control bowler, moves the ball well, good slow ball and yorker and the best proponent of reverse swing in the game, but not fit at the moment so Mcgrath gets in.

ODI Team

Chris Gayle
    Mike Hussey
    Steohen Fleming (Capt)
    Kevin Pietersen
    Andrew Symonds
    Kumar Sangakkara
    Daniel Vettori
    Shaun Pollock
    Brett Lee
    Shane Bond
    Muttiah Muralitharan

The only one to explain there is Daniel Vettori rather than Abdul Razzaq or Shahid Afridi. vettori is the best left-arm slow bowler in the world and the best slow bowler in one day cricket, picks himself.

3. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Kevin Pietersen is probably the most overrated player we've got. When he first came onto the scene, I thought he was brilliant. 'Woah, look how far he can hit a ball, nice!' soons wears off. He's just a bit of a kid really, he goes out there and just swings his bat at the ball for a few overs, sometimes gets runs, sometimes doesn't, it's all the luck of the draw with KP. Does he get caught after swinging his bat like an axe, or does he get dropped and make a few more runs? The guy can't stay in and build an innings. You've got to know when to switch on the big hits and when to just play cricket and that guy doesn't seem to.

Good choices otherwise though. To be fair, a lot of the players pick themselves (Murali, Yousus, The Wall, Hussey). Not too sure about Ntini though, quite a few batsmen have climbed all over him in his time. A bit like Harmy, when he's good he's very good, when he's not on form he's a liability and gets whacked allover the shop.

4. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

That's why I have 2 all-rounders, also i have to disagree about KP, he can build an innings I saw him do it at the Oval last year.

5. Barmy Army

Media:
    No what you saw was the guy get pretty damn lucky half a dozen times or so ;)

He's got great talent but doesn't use it correctly.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Test Team

Mike Hussey
    Rahul Dravid
    Ricky Ponting
    Mohammed Yousuf
    Sachin Tendulkar
    Andrew Flintoff
    Kumar Sangakkara
    Shane Warne
    Shaun Pollock
    Shane Bond
    Muttiah Muralitharan

ODI Team

Adam Gilchrist (he's still the man)
    Sachin Tendulkar (on reputation)
    Mohammed Yousuf (complete batsman)
    Ricky Ponting (one of the greats)
    Mike Hussey (still in stunning form)
    Andrew Flintoff (best all rounder)
    Shaun Pollock (gets better with age)
    Brett Lee (zoom)
    Chaminda Vaas (deceptively good - but bowled a few wides this year)
    Shane Bond (might get a good over in before breaking down)
    Muttiah Muralitharan (the freak)

My main problem with my ODI team is the reasonably long tail (for supposedly the best ODI team in the world - but that's a relentless bowling line up and Bond will get injured halfway through anyway)

Also, these teams are also pretty old. Not much young dazzling talent in show here, it's all veterans.

7. Barmy Army

Media:
    Flintoff's not the worlds best all-rounder IMO. Kallis wins that particular accolade by a country mile.

I nearly put Ponting in both teams, but his current form prevented it. Basically, he's playing like a twat these last few months.

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yeah, Kallis should probably be in there. It's hard picking on form because I can never remember who is playing well, unless they are involved in a current series with NZ.

9. Barmy Army

Media:
    You remember who Yousuf is now? (Yousuf Youhana?)

10. Harbourboy

Yeah, I remember now that he did a Cat Stevens on us. Previously, I used to get him mixed up with Younis Khan.

11. Barmy Army

Media:
    Easily enough done back then. Both good middle order batsmen with similar techniques. But now he's got the full Muslim beard and Younis Khan is clean shaven, so it's easy to tell 'em apart. Nice fellow as well actually is Yousuf. He's actually signed on at my local team Derbyshire as our overseas player, but hasn't yet played a game for us...

12. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Darren McCarty's Stanley Cup rings are going to be sold in an auction because he is bankrupt. This just seems wrong to me.

I can understand selling the guy's house, cars, t.v.s etc but those rings were won through athletic achievement and represents obtaining the pinacle of success in his sport - to say that they are common property that should be stripped from him is truly sad. I respect McCarty's creditors claims and feel thay should be compensated to the extent that McCarthy's other properties have value but taking those rings is going too far. Would they take an Olympic athlete's gold medal?

13. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Probably they would. And they'd probably sell for a huge amount because there are people with more money than brains.

Personal bankrupcy limits the total value of personal belongings you may retain. When I saw that amount when I filed for my own bankrupcy, I felt that I'd wasted my debt...

14. Harbourboy

Australia beats India easily, setting up a New Zealand v Australia semi final on Wednesday. Good night, Black Caps, we'll be coming home on Thursday.

15. Barmy Army

Media:
    I wish Australia would sod off. Just as you think their players are getting old and over the hill, a few youngsters come up and instantly make runs and take wickets. I don't know what it is about that country that breeds superb cricket players. Mind you, India were always going to need 300+ on a flat track like that with the dibby dobby medium pacers that they have...

16. Harbourboy

India should be completely unbeatable at cricket, especially at home, but somehow they manage to be mediocre more often than they should.

Can't believe that Damien Martyn is still scoring runs. It feels like has been their 5th best batman for about 30 years now.

17. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

If we play both our spinners and Bondy's fit we might have a good chance. Aussie can block Vettori out for 10 overs, but they won't block Patel as well. Plus they have a few left handers in their lineup which is perfect for a right arm off-spinner who gives it a fair rip. To be honest I think we should look at playing 2 spinners more regularly especially as Oram seems fit to bowl these days as 3rd seamer.

18. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

The UW Badger women's volleyball team wore out their ass-kicking boots at home this weekend, where, just a day and a half after sweeping #2 Penn State (formerly without a single loss), they swept #5 Ohio State 30-15, 30-23, & 30-20. Badger fans are going out of their minds with these upset victories, and even I couldn't restrain myself at the Fieldhouse today. :D So long #14 rank, hello 13 or even 11 or 12.

In other Wisconsin sports, as of the time of this post, the Green Bay Packers had just kicked a 42-yard field goal to go up over the Cardinals 31-14. Raynor is really looking like he'll be the next Longwell for my favorite NFL team, and with this (likely) victory right after the win over the Dolphins last week, Green Bay may just be on the road to recovery.
    :banana: :banana:

19. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

The Kentuky kid (Nicky Hayden) is the new Moto GP World Champion; Valentino Rossi has never made a mistake in about 4 years, today he hit the grown, giving Hayden the title. Great race.

20. Harbourboy

Remind me again what Moto GP is?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.