1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Sports Babbling Post 2

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by dmc, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Or Mickey's Olympics?

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well, I stayed up to watch the Australian Open men's final (went on air at 12:30 a.m. Pacific time) and watched the whole thing. What an awesome match (and how frickin' tired am I???). Nadal has Federer's number -- Federer becomes a head-case and choker with him at the most inopportune times.

4. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I didn't get the chance to watch it (don't have TV), was it as good as his match versus Verdasco?

5. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Different. The Verdasco match was just sick because Verdasco was in better shape than Nadal but Nadal just bullied him and had a better will to win. Here, the tennis was absolutely amazing at times, but I found watching the doubt creep into Federer's mind to be even more interesting.

6. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

And A-rod admits to using steroids. Yet another wonderful day for baseball.

7. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

So gutted about the final match of the Chappell-Hadlee!!! We wuz robbed! And what an incredible innings from Martin Guptill.

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Tell me about it, Tassadar. And then losing the Twenty20 by 1 run!!

9. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Now that was really harsh! I can't believe we ended up one run short.

10. dmc

Media:
    Don't know if anyone in the US is following the Manny Ramirez/Dodgers saga (can't imagine why anyone outside the US would). I'm stuck here hearing about it and I couldn't care less about the Dodgers, but I have to confess to being flabbergasted by Manny's behavior which, I presume, is under the advice of his agent. The economy blows, I guaranty that fewer people are going to go to baseball games, so the teams are going to take financial hits, he has zero, count them, zero, other suitors (yeah, I'm sure the Giants would take a flyer on him and give him a one-year deal if he ditches the Dodgers), and he just turned down the Dodgers' fourth offer to him -- one year for $25 million and a player option second year at $20 million.

That's right, he said no. Basically, he gets to be the second highest paid player in baseball this year and next year, if he gets hurt or age catches up to him, he can force the Dodgers to pay him $20 million. If he plays out of his mind again, he can opt out and see if the economy is better, if someone will pay him more, or if he can strong-arm the Dodgers into paying him another $25 million. HE SAID NO! I really can't believe that. In fact, I so can't believe that happened that I am starting to write like Bill Simmons on ESPN.com.

Still don't see where Boras thinks he's going to go with this.

On a completely separate note, Tiger's second round back after surgey was not nearly so effective. Gives him some more practice time before the next tournament.

11. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

It's because his agent is Scott Boras, who seemingly can convince everyone (players, G.M.'s, etc.) against all logic.

Manny is cool though, he may be lazy but all the semi-superstitious stuff* about him to go with his production is cool.

*I say superstitious because I was reading an article once (believe it was SI.com) quoting a few different opposing managers and pitchers, and more than once the belief came out that Manny would let you strike him out with a certain pitch early in the year, just so you'd try it in the post-season... And he could rip it. Crazy and probably not true, but still cool.

WSU Cougars basketball team defeated Arizona today, to make a second consecutive quality win (with the other being UCLA <- just for you DMC :D). And while I realize that the team would have to win the PAC-10 tourney to get a NCAA tournament bid, I still see at least an NIT invite coming, and that is enough for me. Though if I wanted to get far-fetched, defeating ASU and UW along with two PAC-10 tourney victories may be enough to get there with such an overall down year.

12. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Another big win for WSU. That is getting it going at the right time... And what a way to do it on senior night.

Poor quality, but it's what I could find... Still cool.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  13. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Go NZ for tomorrow's ODI cricket match against India!

14. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

dmc, I have been following the saga, and I am likewise disgusted. I have always hated Borass for trying to push teams' limits... it usually ends with a poor relationship between the club and player. I would not be surprised if nobody signs Manny because they don't want to deal with him and Boras as well as paying 45 million without deferment.

15. dmc

Media:
    chicken - your guys were playing way below their talent level this year. Unfortunately for them, I don't think they have what it takes to win the Pac-10 tournament, and their record won't get them into the big dance without doing that. You've got to blame the coach for the way they underplayed this year.

16. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

They have nine freshman! 60% (2/3 if you add in the soph. Boeke who was ineligible last year) of the roster had not played college basketball until this year, I do not see how you can call a team like that underachieving. Their best player is Rochestie and at the beginning of the year he did force it too much, but he had to. Their next best player is a freshman (Thompson) who only came here because no other PAC-10 team was willing to give him an offer.

Their talent is down, and it is the coaching style that gives them a chance to win. They are now starting a freshman at guard (Capers) who shoots 25% from the field and cant handle defensive pressure. But, when you slow it down and play defense, almost every game will be competitive, and that is what happened (outside of losses to Gonzaga, UW, and Pittsburgh... but all of those were about knotted at half as well).

Out of the PAC-10 I see only Stanford and Oregon as having less talent than them, and Oregon State is a maybe as well. So for a team that is about 7-8th talent wise with a good chance to finish .500 in conference and in the 5th or 6th spot... I'd take it.

---------- Added 2 hours, 7 minutes and 55 seconds later... ----------

Too add a little bit (I like talking sports :p) and to give a semi-useful comparison, it is worth mentioning Jrue Holiday. Here is a kid that has talent and potential and all of that, but isn't making a big impact on the college game. It will take some time for that to happen with some players... now when a team has 9 freshmen (admittedly two are redshirts and one is this year) you cannot predict how long it will take for them to adjust, or the whole team for that matter. Now that they seem to have it down WSU is playing 3 freshman together for long stretches (such as the Arizona game), they are still undeveloped, but they've learned what they can do, and their roles. Provide energy, play defense, and rotate the ball on offense (except for Klay Thompson, as he is the only freshman with any offensive skills... and he has a bunch).

17. dmc

Media:
    Here's the thing though -- your guys actually have quite a bit of talent even though they are young. I think your team should be better than Stanford, USC, both Oregons and, quite frankly, Arizona (then again, UCLA should NEVER have lost to Arizona, but WTF).

I thought the Baylor loss was a bad one for your guys, as were both losses to USC. The loss at home to Oregon State was unforgiveable. If you get rid of those bad losses, your team is, what, 20-9 with a big game against Washington and the Pac-10 tournament that could easily get you into the tournament even if you don't beat Washington and only get a single win in the Pac-10 tournament. You'd have a positive conference record instead of 8-9 right now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm none too happy with the way the Bruins are playing, as I feel that they have lost their defnsive edge of years past and haven't even replaced it with a running game, so it's the worst of both worlds. Jrue Holiday definitely needs more time (he seems lost sometimes on defense and offense and will pick the weirdest times to assert himself offensively). I'll grant you that UCLA has a couple of senior leaders that make a difference, but I expected a down year, got a down year, and really don't think that UCLA has all that much more talent than half the teams in the Pac-10, yours included.

18. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

I'll have to respectfully disagree :p The team only has two freshman who are ready to play right now in Thompson and Casto (only for his athletic ability and effort). From the rest of the roster there are only five players who are skilled enough to merit any time, which means the depth is severely limited. The biggest factor of all, is that the team just isn't very athletic. That's where the trouble tends to come from, teams with athletes, even if they aren't the most skilled. Baylor's guards did it, USC was able to beat WSU because of that, same with Cal, and that is why I was scared to death versus Arizona.

There are several bad losses and most of those were due to inexperience down the stretch (bad turnovers and shot selection). However, the team is right about at my expectations, and all I saw coming at the beginning of the year was an NIT bid (at best)... and that is what they are going to get.

This is a crazy year though, in that there are not many mid-majors worthy of an at-large, and a whole lot of teams seem on the bubble. A win at UW and advancing to the PAC-10 finals might even be enough, but only because the selection committee takes how you finish a season into account.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  19. Harbourboy

Man, that Sachin Tendulkar is good.

20. martaug Gems: 23/31

Anybody else watching the world baseball classic?
    I've caught a couple of the games(mostly s korea, japan, & china) but they have been enjoyable.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.