1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Sports Babbling Post 2

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by dmc, Jul 20, 2006.

1. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I'm mildly surprised that there was no mention of the Barcelona victory over Man U.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I'm more interested in the Twenty20 World Cup which is about to start. Go the Black Caps!!

3. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I'd have to say that the CL final wasn't really worth mentioning to be fair barca played well and made it look easy enough against a half commited Utd, happy with the result as I hate Utd, everyone knows that the better result should have gone to Chelsea after Utd's performance but I guess they were just unlucky this season after being cheated against Barca, be looking out for them next year though.

Anyways enough of that, got the World Cup qualifying games for Europe on tomorrow, looking forward to Denmark vs Sweden, probably wont bother watching England I can't afford the embarassment...

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Go the Netherlands! It's always funny to see the England cricket team lose to a team like that.

5. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

Ireland played out a 1-1 draw with Bulgaria. Poor enough match. We started well but collapsed after letting in a dreadful equalizer. Stout defending for 60 minutes after that but we held on. That should set us up nicely to grab the play off spot but we're not home and dry yet.

6. Harbourboy

Ireland are playing Bangladesh tonight. Go Ireland!

7. Déise

To be honest Harbourboy, I can pretty much guarantee you'll be the only one who tries to start up a conversation about the match. I know the cricket team is working hard and doing well but, well, we just don't care.

8. Harbourboy

Not just working hard! They just beat Bangladesh and are through to the next round! Go Ireland (if they are sober enough after this victory to actually make it to their next game, that is).

9. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Is Christiano Ronaldo going to Real Madrid? I remember hearing about it a while back (Madrid bribing him with cars and stuff)... is that legal?

Haha I've been playing so much Fifa that I am becoming a soccer fan. Too bad we don't get many European games over here. I love Barca.

10. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Mostly play international for FIFA... Netherlands FTW!!! haha.

I only follow the sport slightly, and the last big news I heard was that Kaka was going to AC Milan... I think.

11. Harbourboy

Australia are gone burger from the World Cup. Poor Ricky Ponting. At least he will probably take some Ashes home in a few weeks.

12. Kullervo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

He played in AC Milan for 6 seasons, but was recently traded to Real Madrid for whopping 65 million euros. I highly doubt that even Madrid has enough dough left to get Christiano Ronaldo also.

13. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Is it just me, or is something gone screwy in international sports? :nuts:

14. Déise

Looking at the money to be made back from TV rights, merchandising etc. it would seem not. It certainly doesn't feel right though.

The Ronaldo saga has been going on for about two years at this stage :deadhorse:. I'm sick to death of it. It'll probably happen at some stage over the next few years but I'm not sure when. United don't want to sell him so it'll take a crazy offer to get him. Perez's Real project is out of this world. I can see this ending very badly. Of course, Real will probably get the government to bail them out again.

15. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Oops. I knew he played for Milan so I have no idea why I wrote that. You gotta figure that Madrid would have been happy with securing either one of them, so this definitely works out.

And as for sports revenues? I don't really mind it, as it is probably my favorite source of entertainment, however it is kind of ridiculous what the economics of these things are.

16. Harbourboy

Ooh, New Zealand lead Italy for large parts of last night's game, but ended up losing 4-3 after a couple of late goals. Go the All Whites! Great effort against the World Champions of soccer!!

17. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Apparently Real Madrid has more than enough (80 million euros) for Ronaldo as well:
    132 million US. Wow.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jun/11/cristiano-ronaldo-manchester-united-real-madrid1

18. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Anyone watching the NBA finals? Anyone care? I, obviously, have a strong Laker rooting interest, but NBA basketball is supposed to be beloved around the world (at least that's what David Stern is pushing) and we have several international players on the two finals teams (Pau Gasol, Sasha Vujacic, DJ Mbenga, Mickael Pietrus, Marcin Gortat, etc.).

Two overtime games, another close game and only one blowout has made this pretty exciting so far. Of course, the fact that the Lakers are up 3-1 makes it especially cool in my view.

19. Kullervo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Last three games have been (for the most part) very entertaining. I hoped that Orlando would take the title, but after that last loss I think the series will end in the next game. Lakers have done excellent job defending Dwight Howard, although it's almost ridiculous how much they hack him. It's probably quite frustrating for Howard: every time he gets the ball inside, there's 2-4 guys beating him everywhere. It must be Phil Jacksons twisted payback for Hack-a-Shaq :D

20. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Being a Liverpool fan I wonder what will Utd do without him, I hate the team tbh but for once I feel pity that even with 80m they will struggle to fill that hole, he might be a greasy arogant trip artist but he does put a great deal into the game and he worked well with the other grease balls... Right now Utd has a weak point, but next season is a long way away and much can change...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.