1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Sports Babbling Post 2

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by dmc, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

2. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

The NBA finals have been very fun to watch, but the conference finals this year were so good that it's hard to match. The Laker's have a very talented and versatile team, and I have always liked Trevor Ariza. As far as Orlando goes, I don't think Jameer Nelson should be playing so many minutes right now, as it is clear he has no shooting... Rafer Alston and Anthony Johnson have to be feeling a little stiffed every time they watch him launch an airball.

3. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Woo, ESPN2 is showing some FIFA (tournament?) games! I am going to watch New Zealand get destroyed by Spain today :)

4. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Ah more football/soccer/whatever. Now from Africa. Well it is a slow sport summer.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Wooh, we got thrashed 5-0 by Spain. Although, seriously, they are the number one team in the world and we are 82. They should have beaten us 15-nil really.

6. Kullervo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I thought that countries like Spain and Italy wouldn't send their best players to Confederations Cup, but -again- I was soo wrong: Torres, Fabregas, Xavi etc. are all there! New Zealand players probably weren't so excited :D

It's quite interesting how many star players are playing for their national team in a not-so-prestigious tournament, especially after a long season. Next summers World Cup might have something to do with it?

7. Saber

Probably; isn't this cup a part of the qualifiers for the WC?

8. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

No, it's a separate mini tournament. European countries just treat it as a few friendlies, they rarely take it seriously. The other countries might, though that's probably inverse to how good they are.

---------- Added 0 hours, 7 minutes and 46 seconds later... ----------

I headed along to Waterford's opening match of the All Ireland Hurling Championship. By goodness did I get wet. Not that rain is unusual in Ireland but it's usually just drizzle. The skies just opened for the entire second half.

It was one of the worst hurling matches I've ever been to, even allowing for the conditions. We won the first half 9 3 and were lucky to escape with a draw at 11 apiece. Abysmal. We were lucky to get away with that we were so bad in the second half.

9. Saber

Manny Ramirez is back. :rolleyes:

10. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

The 18th perfect game in MLB history was pitched by Mark Beuhrle of the Chicago White Sox today. In ninth an incredible defensive play by a reserve center fielder preserved the feat.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  11. Déise

In more random babbling about a completely random sport, Kilkenny have won the hurling championship for the fourth year in a row, making them almost certainly the greatest team of all time. Sunday's final was in the balance until ten minutes to go, when they pulled away. This was only the second time in the last 4 years that the opposition was still in the game in the last ten minutes. Hurling is as niche a sport as there is but they must surely rank as one of the most dominant teams in any sport.

12. Saber

The Rays played two games against the Yankees, and it sealed our doom - our hottest player right now broke his hand (hit by a pitch, you damn Yankee bastards), and they lost both by large sums. We will still have a winning season, which, for a team that has only had a winning season in 1 of its 10 years as a team, is good, I am still disappointed we didn't make the playoffs :(

13. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

How about Del Toro taking down Federer. The man is certainly not the most polished tennis player, but he plays with emotion and a HUGE forehand. It was a treat to watch every time he unleashed one of those monsters.

---------- Added 0 hours, 1 minutes and 53 seconds later... ----------

And, yes, I know Federer didn't look like himself at a lot of times, but still impressive- VERY impressive- nevertheless.

14. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Yeah amazing play and control of nerves by del Potro. Fair game for him. I do think that if he had lost the second set he would not have had a chance to get back into the match so Fed really threw that one away. Not to mention the awful first serve percentage Fed had (somewhere in the low 50'ies I think). Still it's good to see some new blood on the Grandslam scene, we can't have Fed and Nadal winning everything forever.

EDIT: Thank god the tournament is actually over now so I can finally get a reasonable amount of sleep from here on.

15. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

My poor old university can't catch a break. WSU's best offensive playmaker, James Montgomery (Cal transfer) just had surgery for acute apartment syndrome in his calf and significant portions of muscle had to be removed. Freak injury, but glad they were able to save his leg.

16. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

I'm an adopted Korean for WSU's asian cup tournament (basketball). My friends are almost all for the Filipino and Korean teams, so the rivalry (last two championships) will continue haha.

17. Déise

[​IMG] With two games to go in qualifying for the World Cup, FIFA have decided to change their rules for the playoffs. Some of the big countries like France and Portugal have messed up qualifying automatically so FIFA have now decreed that the playoffs will now be seeded instead of open draw. This guarantees them an easy match and also avoids them knocking each other out. Terrible news for the small countries, like Ireland, that are on course to make the playoffs. We always knew we'd most likely lose the play off anyway (we'll overachieve on our seeding just getting there) but this pretty much guarantees we'll lose.

18. Harbourboy

Go the Black Caps - through to the Champions Trophy semi-finals, somehow!

19. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

So, I heard they will announce which city hosts the 2016 olympics today. According to the news source I checked, Chicago seems to have the best chances...

20. Saber

They will be in Rio de Janeiro.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.