1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Sports Babbling Post 2

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by dmc, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Well, the Phils are down 3-1. They should of went with Lee last night. He has had alot of rest prior to the series, so I don't understand not throwing him game 4. He has never done it before, but there has to be a 1st time for everything. When it's on the line, he would of stepped up. Bad move by Manuel. Oh well, I hope he keeps 'em alive tonight.

2. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Coming back from 3-1 is rough, but I am hoping for some signs of life from the Phils offense...

3. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I hear ya Saber. Utley and Howard really need to wake their bats up. The Phils are the best Road team in baseball over the past 2 seasons, so hopefully Yankee stadium will jumpstart them again.

4. Saber

Haha Yankee Stadium is good for anyone's offense, though. The homer Utley hit in... game two? (or maybe one, I can't remember) was a fly out to mid-right in any other stadium, but it just kept going and going and going... methinks they need to rework something there so the wind current doesn't float the balls clear out of the stadium.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Wow! Sachin Tendulkar is playing one of the greatest one day innings of all time! 168 not out so far, chasing down Australia's 350. Unbelievable stuff.

6. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Was playing basketball today and pretty much got punched in the face, leaving a bloody nose from this guy... NFL WR Brandon Gibson.

Sure he doesn't have a catch yet in his career, but the guy was an absolute monster at WSU and is the schools all time receiving yardage too. I can deal with it, makes a story.

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Ooh, India lost by 3 runs. Tendulkar is a legend.

8. Harbourboy

Go the All Whites! Playing Bahrain tonight for a chance to make it to the World Cup finals!!

9. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    The live coverage from fifa.com has just ended. New Zealand wins by 1-0 and qualifies for the World Cup. Congrats, Harbs! :)

My predictions for the other playoffs tonight and on Wednesday:

France - Ireland: The French are my favourites but don't underestimate Ireland! Percentages 60-40 in France's favour.
    Russia - Slovenia: I expect Russia to qualify here. 70-30 for Russia. (Sorry, Tal!)
    Portugal - Bosnia-Herzegovina: Portugal are clear favourites over two matches; however Bosnia-Herzegovina are dangerous if underestimated. They beat Denmark by 2-0 in Copenhagen some years back when our team made this mistake. Portugal should not be too complacent. 60-40 in Portugal's favour.
    Greece - Ukraine: Very close. I have the Ukraine as narrow favourites by 55-45.
    Uruguay - Costa Rica: Uruguay ought to clinch this one. 60-40 for Uruguay.

10. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Well... Asia Cup 2009 (university basketball tourney) championship is today. Chicken and Team Korea look to take down the dominant Philippine team. Best matchup of the tournament, most rivalry (lots of friends on each side). Should be intense and fun.

Hopefully I can keep doing well, last game had 12 points in 14 minutes. 10 per game overall with good FG% and low turnovers.

11. Harbourboy

Woohoo! New Zealand to the World Cup finals for the first time since 1982! Massive!

12. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

As I hoped for, Ireland managed to stop France scoring and stuck one in ourselves. It just wasn't in the right net :bang:.

13. Blades of Vanatar

Did anyone see the end of the New England vs. Indy game last night? What was Belichik thinking?:confused: Going for it on 4th & 2 on his own 20 something yard line? With no timeouts left, removing any chance of a challenge on a close plat to boot? That dumb move will bite him in the arse come playoff positioning time.

14. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I loved that because I think the Pats and Belicheck are just a bit too full of themselves. Was thinking WTF??? when they actually snapped that play (I figured he would just try to draw them offsides with a hard count, take a 5 yard penalty and punt).

15. Blades of Vanatar

Me too. I couldn't believe it when they actually snapped the ball. I am guessing that they thought Indy wouldn't be prepared, as they would be thinking what we are. Head games. I will give Belichik some kudos for trying it, that does take some brass, but that was not the time to do it. They don't have their division wrapped up yet. Miami has a good division record and still has a chance of sliding in their now. They just opened the door a little more for them.

16. Saber

I think he had to get the play off - the punt would have landed on the Colt's 30 yard line with 2 minutes for Manning to score, which he would have. The only way to stop them was to keep the ball. What they shouldn't have down, however, is call 2 ****ING TIMEOUTS IN THE SAME PLAY!!! Without a timeout they couldn't challenge... that was a horribly played ending.

We should have won by a bunch more too, but we had two turnovers in the endzone... +14 points would have helped.

17. Blades of Vanatar

They definitely kept the door opened for the Colts, couldn't put em away. Punting from your own 27 is the right call that late in the game. The D only needed to pull it together for one series at the end. You can kick toward the sideline to negate a return. Rolling the dice on 4th & 2 was too risky. The odds are gainst you on that one, even if your the Pats.

18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I understand what Belichick was thinking. I think he had such confidence in his offense, that he thought he had a better chance of picking up two yards, than preventing Manning from scoring. I can see his point, but the smart money there is to punt. I think the flaw in his logic is that there is no guarantee that if you punt Manning would score a TD. Sure, there's no guarantee that he's going to score from the 29 either, and I have no way of knowing what the relative odds are between having to go 29 yards, compared to say, 70 yards (assuming about a 40-yard punt), but I have to assume your odds are much better in the case of the former.

I think he gave Manning way too much credit, and didn't place enough confidence in his defense. I also agree with Saber that the final Pats sequence was friggin' terrible. Belichick is always thinking a play or two ahead, so if you've already decided that you're going for it on 4th down if you don't make it on 3rd down, then why not run on 3rd down when you only need 2? Of course, they called a timeout after 3rd down, so maybe he had not made the decision yet, but your job as a coach is to think ahead.

I didn't like the call, I would have punted, but I have the suspicion that if they had converted the 4th down, run out the clock, and won the game, everyone today would not be saying what a terrible decision Belichick made, but how it was a gutsy call, and proves how great a coach he is. That's Monday Morning Quarterbacking, which I hate. It is possible to make the right call and have it turn out wrong, and you can make the wrong call and have it turn out right. But we should not judge how good of a call it was based solely on the result. A bad call is a bad call, even if it had worked.

19. Blades of Vanatar

Such confidence is not merited this year. Or you could call it over-confidence. They are not that good. They are good, but not like 2 yrs ago "Good". Not many coaches would of made that call. I usually see the other end of the spectrum in Philly, Reid has no balls in tight spots of big games. He tries the trickery only in mid-game.

Disciple of The Watch likes this.
  20. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I'm not sure I'd call it over-confidence. I mean, they needed two yards. Are you being over-confident when you have future Hall of Famers in Moss and Brady, arguably the best slot receiver in the game (Welker), and one of the best RBs in terms of catching passes out of the backfield (Faulk) to think on any given pass play that you cannot pick up two yards? Also, the reports that came out yesterday suggested that Brady asked Bill to go for it. If your Super Bowl winning, future Hall of Fame QB is telling you "We can do this", and you're a coach that's willing to gamble as Belichick undoubtedly is, I can see how they thought they could make it.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not a Patriot apologist, and I don't even particularly LIKE the Pats. Heck, as a team they are not an overly likable group of guys, from the coach on down, and I was rooting against them. But if Faulk catches that ball the first time, without bobbling it initially, that's definitely a first down - he's a good yard beyond the needed line of gain when the ball gets to him.

I will agree that the safer call was to punt, and I will agree that Belichick's decision likely cost them the game. He took a calculated (and some would say unnecessary) risk, which blew up in his face. That doesn't mean he's suddenly not a good coach. And I think it's definitely going overboard to suggest the Patriots are not that good and it's over-confidence to think that they could pick up two yards.

The Patiots played poorly the first few games of the year until Brady got his game legs back, but they are 6-3 overall (and two plays away from being 8-1), with their only two losses in the last two months were in overtime against the Broncos in Denver (a team that has always given them fits) and just now when they came up just short against one of the two remaining undefeated teams. So I'd say they are, in fact, pretty darn good. There's very few teams in the league that I think are clearly better than they are. I'd say they're top 5 (and there actually are only 4 teams with better records than them - Colts, Saints, Vikings, Bengals).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.