1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Sports Babbling Post 2

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by dmc, Jul 20, 2006.

1. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

The Mariners are in a win-win situation. The three prospects they gave up weren't critical to the success of the team (Gillies was a real speedster with high OBP, possible Ichiro replacement). Aumont was being turned into a relief pitcher, and Ramirez could wind up as a #3/4 starter. In Lee, the Mariners can either win right away, or if the losses start piling up they can trade him for better prospects at the trade deadline. Even if he lasts the whole year there, he will be a type A free-agent and they'll be compensated with two first round picks anyway, which will help offset the costs of the prospects they gave up.

Great trade for the Mariners, and could be very good for the Phillies and BlueJays. You never really know the long-term winner with the prospects dealt around though.

If they really wanted to keep him around they could probably afford him too. The team just had about 50 million come off the books this year, along with another 12 coming from Carlos Silva next year (or the year after). Seattle is not a small market club and can shell out big money if needed.

However, I still don't think they extend him, as the priority is extending Hernandez and finding a big bat.

2. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Think about a 1/2 punch of Lee and King Felix though... that would be brutal for anyone else to face... man, I am getting shivers about when the Rays and Sox have to play them.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    That's not a particularly good example - Milwaukee picked up Sabathia because they were chasing a playoff spot - one they ultimately earned in no small part because of Sabathia's help.

The Mariners were pretty darn bad last year, and while one would assume that they'll be more competitive this year (at the very least it appears the Angels won't be as good), you don't go out and pick up a pitcher of Lee's caliber with the expectation that you'll only be using him for a year if you aren't sure you're going to be competing for a playoff spot. I largely agree with Chicken - the Mariners would not make this trade unless there was some willingness on their part to retain him after this year.

4. Saber

But they didn't win the World Series, which is the ultimate goal for every team... in the end, they have nothing to show for the Sabathia trade - they mortgaged the future for one decent year that ended with a loss.

Mariners weren't too bad last year: 87-75 is 7th in the league, and far better than the 61-101 that they went in 2008. They also improved at the end by grabbing Jack Wilson, trying to show their fans that they are willing to make the effort to win.

I am not saying the trade was bad - it improved their team significantly. I am just lamenting the fact that Lee's greed may end up with them only having him for a year. I am sure they want to keep him, but I don't know if they have the willingness to part with a bunch of money, especially since Felix's contract is up soon too (and he is due for a huge raise).

5. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The rub is they couldn't just get rid of Blanton and his contract. They are stuck with him. His trade value was nothing compared to Lee's. They wouldn't of landed 3 prospects for him. If they cut him, they still pay. Plus he gives them decent innings in the bottom of their rotation. Try to find alot of teams that have a number 4 that is throwing 180+ innings for them.

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    OK, I thought you were suggesting that it was a near-certainty that Lee was a one-year rental. I'm not sure if he's in for as huge of a payday as some think. He almost certainly would have been if he stayed with the Phillies this year - typically pitchers that switch from the AL to the NL see their numbers improve, which is almost certainly due to weaker lineups (no DH). In Lee's case, he's now back in the AL, and he may find it difficult to replicate the numbers he had the last two years with the Indians.

7. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Lee is moving to a pitcher's park at least. That should help his numbers stay low. Personally, I think moving out of Philly was in his best interest. His numbers would eventually inflate pitching there. Since NEXT season is his payday FA year, he needs to have the big year this year. Seattle gives him a better chance of that than Philly does. He might get more wins in Philly, but the real crucial numbers, ERA/Whip/HRs allowed, will be lower in Seattle.

8. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

I also largely said the deal works out either way, because if it works, they're better, and if it doesn't, it still works. One baseball GM was quoted on si.com saying that they would easily be able to trade him for more now, let alone at the deadline.

The team is an 85 win team right now, built around pitching and defense (like Safeco demands) Lee and Figgins make both those even better. They have two great starters, and out of Snell, Roland-Smith, and Morrow they'll probably have two more good starters. Snell really pitched well down the stretch, Roland-Smith has always been effective, but is injury prone, and Morrow just needs to improve his consistency. They are also looking at Bedard or Ben Sheets for a low risk (incentive based contract) high reward acquisition.

As a team that consistently has a solid bullpen, and has four great defensive players (Gutierrez, Ichiro, Figgins, and Wilson) the average runs against them will probably be about 4 per game. One power hitter from being a contender is how I see them. Preferably a lefty because Safeco favors them, but a guy like Jason Bay who would love to play here could push them to elite status as well.

1B and DH are also pretty weak, with Griffey serving as the DH against RHP (he was hitting great down the stretch) and possibly a resigning of Branyan for power numbers in the 6 hole if his back gets healthier.

9. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I imagine there aren't too many Laker fans on the Boards, but I am really enjoying this NBA season so far and still thank the Memphis GM for gifting -- er, trading -- us Pau Gasol.

Plus, Kobe Bryant has already hit two amazing game winners this year, one 3 point off-balance bank shot fling over D. Wade and the other to cap the 7 point comeback against the Bucks, with a broken finger even.

10. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Not a big Laker fan.

I will say that they are definitely the best team in the NBA though. Pau, Bynum, and Odom make a VERY good front court rotation and Bryant is incredible.

The broken finger isn't that big of a deal to me. When I punctured a tendon on one of my fingers I shot as well with the splint as ever before. It did effect ball control though, and made one handed moves/passes more difficult.

11. Saber

Does Seattle have the money this year to resign Branyon and give Bay the money he wants (16-18 million a year realistically, although I am sure Boras would love to demand 25 million a year). If they could, they would definitely be a contender.

12. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Absolutely. Boras will probably prevent them from going after Bay, even though Bay himself said he would take a discount to play here. The team had 50 million come off the books this season, and still has the albatross contract of Carlos Silva (4yr 48mil) to shed soon. That creates plenty of room for the present circumstances.

You also have to figure Branyan will come relatively cheap because he shut down early due to back issues.

Some people on the cbssports forum spell out our money status better than I can, but it's a good market with rich Japanese ownership, who are willing to buy talent to win (within a reasonable cap). 50 million available, take out 12-14 million for Hernandez arbitration, another 18 million for Figgins/Lee and there's still almost 20 million to play with (just rough figures on my part).

13. Saber

Hmm, if they shed Silva (wasn't he a Twin for a while? When did he get a big contract?) they could probably retain Lee and potentially get Bay, if they're willing to bump up their salary pay. Now that Beltre and his big ego (even after a complete loss of a year, he still wants over 10 million a year) are gone, they should devote some money are guarantees as opposed to one year wonders.

14. Blades of Vanatar

Silva got the money after one decent year with the Twins. He was originally a Philly. I think they traded him for Milton back when. I have read that Bay's agent has said Bay really would like to be a Met. I hope not, I would rather see him in Seattle myself.

15. Saber

Eww, who would want to be a Met? heir management has consistently screwed them over since 2003, when they traded Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano, and they have flopped big time ever since. Seattle is far more promising, although the Mets probably have more cash to drop on Bay, thus making that a nicer place for his agent to try and send him.

16. Blades of Vanatar

Looks like Silva was just traded to the Cubs for Milton Bradley. Poor Seattle. He is never healthy for the entire season, has an excuse for everything and causes mayhem in the clubhouse. Why do teams continually pay these type of guys money knowing their history. He is NOT a winner in any sense of the word.

I would like to see another AL team rise to challenge Boston and NY. I thought Detroit was on that path 2 years ago, but they fell back. The Angels losses will drop them as well. I doubt this move will put Seatlle up there, with or without Lee.

17. Saber

If Bradley can get his act together (perhaps the Japanese management will instill some of their stoicism upon his flapping lips), this could be good for Seattle. Plus, it is a small pay reduction for this year (by about 3 million, although next year they will make the same), perhaps they can use that elsewhere.

Didn't Seattle straighten Adrian Beltre's act out when he got there? I know he still has a big ego, but he wasn't a huge problem.

Also, I agree... why do people pay 12 million a year for an assbag who doesn't even produce... I can understand paying Manny 20 million a year because his numbers counteract his mouth, but Bradley barely puts minor league numbers up...

18. Blades of Vanatar

Bradley is usually a league-leader or near it OBP. But when you only play 100 games, so what! A few years ago the Phils were talking about trading for him and the fan-base erupted negatively. That stopped management in their tracks from pursuing Bradley. Pinella had a lot of good one-liners in the Chicago papers about him. Very funny. Bradley is the ultimate cop-out artist. Everyone else is to blame, jsut ask him.

19. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    DING DING DING DING We have a winner!

Seriously, some guys will just go for whoever offers them the most. Johnny Damon is another example. No one ever thought he'd sign with the Yankees after being a Red Sox, but the Yankees brought the money.

Mariner green may not be exact shade of green Bay is most interested in.

20. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

He can be quoted as saying it would be a dream come true to play for Seattle and that sort of hogwash because he is from around here though. I know that they are unlikely to go for him, but I don't think he was just trying to get other teams to drive up their offers.

---------- Added 0 hours, 16 minutes and 30 seconds later... ----------

I actually just saw that the M's traded Silva (2 year, 25 mil) and 9 million cash for Milton Bradley (2 year, 22 mill). I have mixed feelings about this as Silva was worthless to us (4.5 million per win so far) but paying extra for Bradley is high risk as well. The dude is crazy. He has a sweet name, but he's more volatile than Jose Guillen who had the same question marks but had a good season in Seattle. I'm guessing the team decided they wouldn't have the cash to go for Bay and went out and found an interesting alternative. Based on the roster right now Bradley will probably play against righties in LF and lefties at DH, but there are plenty of moves pending.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.