1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Sports Babbling Post 2

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by dmc, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Just watched Denmark beat Slovakia by 6-0 (6-0, 0-0, 0-0). Great fun if you're Danish ... but ...

I agree with T2 and Aldeth, things would probably be different if all teams had their best players from the NHL.

Also, Denmark played their last match in the first round on Wednesday afternoon. Slovakia played their last match yesterday (Thursday) evening. These conditions are hardly fair.

2. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Tony LaRussa - What are you thinking....

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/tony-la-russa-is-completely-out-to-lunch.html.php

LaRussa is one of the great coaches of modern baseball, but hunh? Players have always been allowed to show emotion. Is this guy getting so full of himself that he can just make up "unsaid" rules and think everyone will accept that? Carlos Lee has always been an emotional player, so of course he will show frustration when he pops one up. Carpenter and LaRussa need lobotomies...egotistical jerks.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    While there certainly ARE unwritten rules in baseball (like you don't try to bunt for a base hit in the 9th inning if the pitcher is throwing a no-hitter), this isn't one of those situations.

4. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There are so many 'unwritten rules' in baseball it's ridiculous ... but a tirade like that 30 or 40 years ago would have gotten the batter beaned on the next at bat (especially if Gibson was pitching).

5. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I have always disagreed with any "unwritten" rule when it comes to perfect games and no-hitters. Bunting for a hit is part of the game and is by no means cheap, unfair, sneaky or what have you. There have been many players in the history of baseball that made a living bunting. Brett Butler, Vince Coleman, etc.. basically any speedster and non-home run hitting leadoff batter. Throwing a no-no should have to be earned the entire game, not after say the 5th inning when a no-no starts to form. I understand the whole no stealing signs with advanced technologies unwritten rule, that borders on cheating, but not the bunting issue.

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I agree Blades, I was just giving an example of an unwritten rule that is widely accepted.

7. Blades of Vanatar

I know Aldeth.:) I was just stoking the fire... not enough baseball fans on these boards for a good sports talk.

8. Kullervo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Great football (soccer) commercial, featuring Kobe Bryant and Homer Simpson..and a few footballers.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  9. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

I don't think Bryant's going to have to work on his footwork...

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

New Zealand 1 - Serbia 0.

Go the All Whites.

11. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Anyone else watching the NBA finals? I have an obvious Laker bias, but I was quite surprised at how flat the Celtics looked last night. They need to take one game in LA, and game 1 is usually the best one to get that done. They looked slow and unmotivated. If they continue to play like that I don't see the Lakers losing in this series (alright, maybe one game in Boston, but still).

12. Kullervo Gems: 9/31

I would, if some network would show them in Finland :nolike: . I'd much rather watch the NBA finals than NHL, which is shown.

13. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    They aren't being streamed on the web?

14. Kullervo Gems: 9/31

Call me old-fashioned, but I prefer to watch it on tv. Besides, my desktop is currently situated in our bedroom and I don't want to disturb Ms. when she's sleeping. I could move the computer to living room though :) ...

15. Blades of Vanatar

Kobe looks like a man on a mission. He has his gameface on, that's for sure. I didn't see the Celts as flat, just outplayed and outmanned. I think the Lakers take it in 4 or 5. No one on Boston can shutdown Kobe, Kobe can shutdown Allen, Artest will irritate the hell out of Pierce, and Boston's lack of Big Man ability will kill them in the paint on both ends of the court, as shown in game one with 8 offensive rebounds for Gasol.

16. Kullervo Gems: 9/31

Allen wasn't exactly shutdown in game 2. Rondo had an incredible game too, who needs a Big Man when a 6-1 guy grabs 12 rebounds in the finals ;) . The series has different look now, but I still think Lakers will eventually win. Boston can't win in the long run if their frontcourt is overpowered.

17. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I wouldn't worry too much if I were the Lakers about the loss. The Celtics basically played as well as they can expect to play, and they still barely won. (The game was a lot closer than the final score indicated, with LA still winning with a few minutes to play.) Allen is not going to make eight 3-pointers every game...

18. Kullervo Gems: 9/31

Lakers made the mistake of giving Allen too much space (not that he needs much) in the first quarter. In game 3 it will be different. Some Celtic players, KG to name one, could have played a lot better though. If they step up, it could be tight in Boston.

19. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Oh, if KG can play like the KG of a couple of years ago in this series, that would make a huge difference for the Celtics. The thing is, I haven't seen that KG for... well... a couple of years. Currently, KG isn't even the third best player on his team.

20. dmc

Media:
    The Lakers folded when it counted. They were up 3 with 5 minutes to go and basically laid an egg from that point forward. Kudos to Allen for his amazing shooting display and Rondo clearly wanted those boards more than the Lakers bigs, but the execution was just atrocious at the end of the game. (The officiating again sucked big time, but even that was a side story by the 4th quarter.)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.