1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Random Sports Babbling Post 2

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by dmc, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

There is a cellphone ad in New Zealand where someone uses their videophone to make a movie of some clown injuring himself kicking a rugby ball. It's supposed to be spoof of Jonny Wilkinson but it's probably getting beyond a joke now, given just how injured this guy is.

Jonny is going to end up being out of rugby longer than Jonah Lomu was.

Talking of Jonah, he now plays for my team, North Harbour (!), and last week played his first full 80 minutes of first class rugby in New Zealand since about 2002. Good on the big fella for getting back into after his illness. He's not a patch on his former self, but first class rugby is no walk in the park and is more than any of us will ever do. Go Jonah!

2. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Jonah was unstoppable in his pomp. When he got the ball and a little bit of space to run into, it was goodnight sweetheart, no-one was stopping him.

Ashes squad announced. Ashley Giles, James Anderson and Liam Plunkett in, not to mention Mahmood. WHY?! Gilo will not have played one game of cricket in months and months and Anderson and Plunkett have always been ****. Oh and one semi-good ODI seems to be reason enough to include Mahmood. Predictable, boring stuff from that idiot Graveney and his board off fogey flids. Our bowling attack is not good enough to take 20 Aussie wickets per test, it's as simple as that. It will be meat and drink to Ponting, Hayden, Langer and company.

I predicted a close win last time and that's how it happaned. I'm not confident at all this time.

[ September 12, 2006, 21:20: Message edited by: Barmy Army ]

3. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

A hockey player just signed a 15 year contract. Wow.. given all the player movement between teams, 15 years is a long time to stay with one team.

4. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Yeah there was some pretty zany hockey contract news yesterday.

Signing a young goalie to what is pretty much a lifetime contract is a pretty gutsy move - if DiPietro develops into a top rank goalie and stays that way over his career then it is a great move - but if he slacks off, has a break down due to lack of confidence, has a disagreement with team management or anything like that then it is an absolute nightmare.

Still, it seems like a fairly rational move compared to Philly putting in a 1.9 Million/year offer sheet for Ryan Kesler. Kesler scored a whopping 10 goals last year and was well on his way to signing for around $800,000 and then Philly has to go in and try to single handedly kick off a massive salary inflation cycle. They had to know that Vancouver wouldn't let them steal a restricted free agent that way so I don't know what Philly thought they were going to accomplish. How Kesler will have the gall to walk into the Vancouver locker room making $1.9 million when Trevor Linden is earning only $600,000 is beyond me. Personally I say that Vancouver should let Philly take Kesler instead of matching the offersheet but they won't do that.

5. Wiley One Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

@ Blog

Not to mention, who knows if the player will even last 15 years.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Oooh, the Ashes are coming around again already. Seems like only yesterday I was eating my words on the last one. Although at least I had heard of the English players last time.

7. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

It's been a wild summer on Long Island. First they fire the GM and head coach. Install Neil Smith as GM and Ted Nolan as heac coach. Then a month later, they fire Smith and replace him with backup goalie Garth Snow (who's salary that he would have received as a player still counts against the salary cap for the remainder of his contract). To top it off they give out an insane contract (which for a few seasons will be a bargain mind you).

Meanwhile in Florida, Mike Keenan was forced out of his GM job with the panthers. Elston, the cartoonist for The Hockey News, had some fun with both situations. They showed Ed Belfour trying to hand a Resume to the Panther's owner...

8. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Hmm, yet another NHL rule change aimed at increasing scoring. They increased the maximum allowable curve of the stick by 50%. It will probably just result in a lot more broken sticks and not all that much of an increase in scoring but I guess we will see how it goes.

9. Gnarfflinger

They gave more stick curve, but also gave stiffer penalties for those that violate the rule.

I can't wait to see reports on Training camp for my Leafs...

10. Harbourboy

Auckland down 19-0 to Waikato at half time only to come back to draw 22 all.

11. Barmy Army

Media:
    Junior Witter new WBC light-welterweight champion of the world :) . Guwon Junior! Maybe he'll get it on with the Hitman now ;)

12. Wiley One Gems: 8/31

My son has a football game tomorrow (American football). His team is currently 1-1.

Edit: new information

Well he lost 0-6. He is the quarterback and is taking it real hard. He did well but won't believe me when I tell him so.

[ September 17, 2006, 21:43: Message edited by: Wiley One ]

13. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Hey, he only lost by six points - two field goals (or three safeties, in which case, I would worry for him :( ). He has next week to toss a Hail Mary.

14. Wiley One Gems: 8/31

Thanks Saber I'll give him the pep-talk.

15. Harbourboy

Yay. The New Zealand Black Ferns win the Rugby World Cup, beating England in the final 25 - 17.

If only the men can repeat that feat next year.......

16. Gnarfflinger

The Toronto Maple Leafs didn't look too good in their Pre-season opener against the Buffalo Sabres. They still took too many penalties and they weere burned for four power play goals.

If this is an indicator of what to expect, then Ferguson ought to get his Resume polished up...

17. JSBB Gems: 31/31

Yeah it was ugly all right but not exactly unexpected. A questionable goalie and a lack of good offensive forwards will tend to produce results like this. I think this is very much a sign of things to come and I expect that the Leafs will be playing golf when the playoffs come around.

18. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Me and one of my firends went nuts with a golf buggy on a crappy course. Driving at full speed weaving in and out dense scrub is FUN. Also driving through a small bunker is rather painful when you get are coming out the other side. Jars your back like you wouldn't believe. Suprisingly, not much golf was played.

19. Gnarfflinger

JSBB: Fergusson is directly to blame for that situation. J. S. Aubin has shown that he can be a number 1 goalie in the NHL, then why did they need to trade Tukka Rask for a Goalie that sucked last year and would cost 4 times as much? that also meant that he didn't have cap space to sign Anson Carter, who wanted to play in Toronto. This would have given them a player that could play on a top line with Sundin...

20. Barmy Army

Media:
    My Chesterfield beat Premiershp side Man City tonight in the Carling Cup. What a result! :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.