1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Realistic advances in 10 years

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Harbourboy, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Wouldn't it be cool if you could plug in an USB cable to the back of your head (think 'The Matrix') and upload "knowledge" in to either a mini-hard drive of sorts...or your brain...which ever would hold the info longer.

"Advanced nuclear physics? Hold on, that'll be a 5 minute upload to my brain...."

You could technically get a PhD in a single day if you had the technology and the cash to upload all the required info. :rolleyes:

Welcome to the Harvard 5 hour PhD upload program...in 5 hours you will be certified to be a total snob. :shake: :rolling:

2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Ah, but what happens when you get a virus? :p

3. Kitrax

Media:
    Your brain has to get re-formatted? :shake:

Obviouly no one would be stupid enough to connect straight to the WWW. But then again, you never know what stupid things people will do with new technologies. :rolleyes: :rolling:

4. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Ah, at least there is no prediction of an end to human stupidity...

5. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Why? After another five minutes somebody else has the same knowledge. PLus, in today's world, there are plenty of people who don't need that knowledge, and in fact would be dangerous to possess it. This now means that data must be regulated, another loss of freedom.

That kind of advance would be seriously dangerous. It's bad enough that you can find bomb instructions on the net, without adding the ability to learn nuclear physics in 5 minutes.

ALthough, with a French exam on Tuesday, wouldn't mind some kind of accelerated learning process :D

6. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

people will have microchips implanted in their brains allowing them to communicate with people far away with needing a phone or the internet.

7. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

A remedy for baldness and the common cold :p

8. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Oh, and this probably isn't an advance: but we'll have have 'trusted' computers, and be subsequently ripped off by Microsoft and/or oppressed by our governments through it...

9. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Note that I talked about more efficient, not less. Though I admit that for speed purposes, wheels are very efficient, they indeed lack maneuvrability. But, the two legs is not very efficient either, lacking stability. No, the future for robot movement is multilegged. It has the flexibility of legs, with the equilibrium of having more than two. For exploration purposes, this already exists. The problem is not so much the mode of transportation as well the intelligence for autonomous movement.

10. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Ten years from now here is what I hope to see from the advancement with Technology…

New fuel/power alternative that is cost effective will be slowly introduced and slowly replace our current systems of power.

If gasoline/diesel powered auto still are around and still the mainstream for auto cars should be averaging between 50-100MPG.

Desktop computers will probably just stay the size they are now but will consume less power and provide 3-10 times the performance of today’s computers.

Laptop computers will continue to improve in technology, reduce in weight and size and still provide the users with high mobile computer.

Cell phones will become the future of digital cameras.

Cell phones will slowly incorporate micro computers and by the tenth year they will have the capability of today’s laptop or even better.

Flying cars will be introduced and become common place once the new fuel/power is accepted as a norm.

Flying bikes…see flying cars…

Robots... This is already slowly developing and used in many large factories. This will slowly become more common within the consumer market for cleaning bots (like the vacuum that cleans all by it self).

Computer monitors will move into the plasma realm and beyond. They will become thinner and provide us with a better picture.

Video games will become more life like. There is a chance a hologram game being introduced or worked on during the next ten years.

Dragon Age will be released.

Microsoft will finally come out with an OS that will have no bugs (Yeah right! That will never happen!)

But the reality is in the next ten years chances are most of the things we all would like to see happen won’t happen. In fact over the last 5 years computer advances have been mostly with cell phones, laptops, and portable devices. Only within the last year or more have I seen a good improvement in desktop computers and even those improvements seem only minimal when compared the previous 5 years before that. I believe IT has hit a wall of sorts. I know there is a chance in the next 10 years it could jump start (Every month or two, something new and better was out) like it was 7 years ago. But for me I don’t expect too much change in the next ten years. Yes computer will get faster, smaller and more effective at energy consumption. But to me technology should be now used to find alternatives to the natural resources that we are consuming as a world at alarming rate. That is where technology should mainly be developed over the next 10 years. And when that finally occurs it would be nice to see flying cars/bikes, newer computers, etc… But till than I still have my disbelief in the way technology helps our world. In fact right now I think it destroys it if anything. What happen to all the old computers from the 80’ and 90’s? Where are they now, in some landfill of a third world country?

Ok enough ranting. Who here believes Microsoft will finally come out with a non buggy OS?

11. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I believe in a lot of miracles, but that's just too much of a stretch :p

12. Kitrax

Media:
    What do you think makes Mt. Kilimanjaro so tall? That isn't snow at the top...it's millions of beige computer cases and monitors. :shake: :rolling:

13. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Canon will soon launch their SED monitors which consists of thousands of small electron cannons (or tiny "CRT monitors" which can display the three basic colors) which together creates a picture in the same way as most other monitors. The size, weight and power consumption of an LCD with the brightness and sharpness of CRT.

14. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I wonder, then, based on these predictions, when the most optimal time to upgrade my mobile phone would be. No point upgrading unless there is going be some really cool new feature that I can't live without - and some of you are saying my mobile phone will eventually be as good as a current laptop so I'd like to have that.

15. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Obviously the answer to that one, HB is tomorrow! (isnt it always with technology)
    On a current affairs program recently they discussed using 3D videogame like software to help people fly in the correct direction when using flying cars. The software would simply overlay a semi-transparent layer over the windscreen and the driver would have to 'drive' through the rings.

Baisically i think portable and wireless technology will become bigger, desktop computers will probably ebb along at the current slow rate, and game files will become ever larger, requiring larger and larger HDD.

16. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

You clearly haven't kept up on your gaming development news. There is a new game in the make (called Spore iirc) that is based on minimalistic programming. It allows very rich games that take up very little discspace, since everything is calculated, even the skins of the models and the models themselves. The downside of this approach is that it requires much more calculating, but that would be a good motivation to add some more processing power and keeps your disc free to store other stuff than games.

17. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Or alternatively, leave the spores alone, add more disc space and leave processing power free to handle the normal programs.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.