1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Reflections on the NPCs, with grades

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Chris Williams, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

aerie
    usefulness A
    personality D
    aerie is very versatile and has an insane amount of spells that can be mixed and matched - being able to wear the amulet of power is a big plus early on

anomen
    usefulness A
    personality D-
    you need to seriously mute this guy - then he becomes a powerhouse - and an unstoppable undead slayer

cernd
    usefulness D
    personality B
    without the ease of use mod, cernd is redundant, but with the mod - he becomes a straight A+ - an unstoppable juggernaut of destruction who would just impale keldorn

edwin
    usefulness A
    personality A
    edwin is a crackup and fits the lawful evil alignment to a T - an absurd amount of spells, high intelligence and the best out and out mage

haer'dalis
    usefulness A-
    personality A-
    haer'dalis is a niche character that is definitely not required to win the game, but in terms of usefulness - lore, pickpocketing, spellcasting, fighting, he can do a bit of everything - so he's more of a team-man, but definitely does not excel at any one thing

imoen
    usefulness B+
    personality B
    much less annoying than aerie - a good mage that can use short bows - very good thing

jaheira
    usefulness B
    personality B
    boy is this one annoying - unless you are in a relationship with her - nevertheless, she has her uses - but the lack of great scimitars in the game tend to limit her effectiveness

jan
    usefulness B+
    personality C
    boring to listen to, but the best thief in the game

keldorn
    usefulness A+
    personality D-
    i can't stand this guy regardless of how overpowered he is (i spose the inquisitor class is overpowered anyway) - but this guy is pretty damn useful

korgan
    usefulness A-
    personality A-
    korgan is a great fighter - takes the hits, hacks em down, nothing fancy - just gets the job done with minimal fuss

mazzy
    usefulness A-
    personality B
    mazzy is outstanding with a bow in hand, and if required, partners korgan very well on the frontline

minsc
    usefulness A-
    personality A+
    minsc is worth having around if only to hear his lines - although early on, his ability with a sword really helps with the tough battles

nalia
    usefulness B+
    personality B-
    imoen clone, but i would take imoen every time

sarevok
    usefulness A+
    personality A+
    sarevok is the man - there is no equal in raw fighting ability - his stats are awesome, and his character is deep, plus *SPOILER* he can be redeemed - a definite ToB starter in my party

valygar
    usefulness A-
    personality A
    the strong silent type - i would take valygar everytime, except my party is almost always full by the time i get to him - backstabs galore with this man

viconia
    usefulness B+
    personality A
    viconia is a very deep character, who also offers plenty of party interaction - great spellcasting ability, but that evil turn undead drags the mark down

yoshimo
    usefulness C
    personality B
    if you could keep this guy, he's definitely a contender for an A rating - but you can't

2. Scoobiez Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Very interesting thread!!! I loved reading the various inputs on the BG cast of Characters.

Instead of posting my opinion on all of them (ok, I'm lazy), I'd just like to give my personal vote for MVP....

...Korgan! I understand all the neg flap about his personality, but I've had him tagging along for quite some time and boy does he kick butt!!!
    It's fun to just step back and let him wail away with the Flail of Ages and go beserk! And he seems to thrive with the whirlwind attack.

Again, JMO, but Korgan gets my MVP vote.

3. Death Whisper Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Aerie:
    Whiny, whiny, whiny.........don't like her.
    her cleric\mage ability is cool, but she gets too annoying, though its fun to see how korgan constantly peck at her :)

Anomen:
    Arrogant, selfish.......but gets better after a while. Love to see he and jan together :)
    Absolutely a powerful character.

Imoen:
    sweet, innocent, the little sister that tags along no matter what.......just lovable.
    Good enough thief and a good spellcaster

Edwin:
    hate him

Korgan:
    hate him

Yoshimo:ยจ
    Have a sad story, but his behaviour is nice.
    very good thief, and his trap abilities is very usefull. Good Npc.

Jan:
    hilarious person who dont know when to shut up, try him, mazzy, minsc, sarevok and anomen in the same party :)
    decent spellcaster and a good thief.

Mazzy:
    good fighter,i like her personality.

keldorn:
    Good ol fashioned paladin, good heart, lovable personality. One of the best npc's out there.

Minsc:
    lovable personality that might get annoying after playing through the game enough times, one of the best fighters out there.

Valygar:
    never liked him.

Viciona:
    never liked her.

Jaheira:
    alittle arrogant, but else, she is lovable.
    Very good npc to take with you.

Sarevok:
    this one can be done both ways. Disgusting personality though you might change him to a good person if you wish. Very good fighter.

Nalia:
    the first two persons said enough about her.
    Useless.......

Cernd:
    ok personality, but not a very good npc.

4. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I think all of the NPC's have the potential to become a powerhouse, although some more easier than others. So I won't rate their "usefulness".

But likableness, now that's another thing. For me the most likable character is Haer'Dalis. Jan and Minsc fall in right behind. You want chemistry in your party, have all three at once. The commraderie and laughs go on and on.

Characters I like the least are Anomen, Korgan, and Yoshimo.

Generally, I prefer Nalia, Imoen, and Mazzy more than Jaheira, Aerie, and Viconia. Edwin is easily the most likable evil character, with Sarevok in second.

Valygar, Keldorn, and Cernd are along the lines of Nalia, Imoen, and Mazzy. I think that's everybody.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.