1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Relationship Rant Thread #4

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Disciple of The Watch, Dec 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Oh but she enjoys a glass of red wine now and then, it's not she dislike alcohol per se, just seeing me as a complete idiot. I can understand that and I don't mind at all. But smoking is a little bit touchy. I *know* it's bad I *know* she's probably right but dammit it's freakin' hard to pass a day without at least a cigarette.

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Yes, Ofelix, that is what I thought. ;) I believe she has a very sensible attitude - and one I can identify with, as well - and we both know I'm no teetotaller (to put it mildly).

As for smoking, it's damn hard to watch someone you care for fritter his lungs away and take away from his normal length of life like that. My best buddy smokes about one and a half packs of cigarettes daily and the fumes never leave him or his house. It's sad for me. I've also been very happy to see my mum, grannie and aunt all stop smoking as well. It has made them healthier and perhaps less nervous, feeling stronger inside (not bound by an addiction) and, well, with more money to spend on other things as well. If you smoke a pack daily, you could probably buy something for your computer every month instead, or something good to munch, or maybe one or two bottles of good wine, no? ;) They say smoking pipe is less unhealthy than cigarettes (and I tend to believe it's probably better quality and generally nicer tobacco, no?), so maybe it would be a good beginning? ;)

[ January 07, 2007, 22:44: Message edited by: chevalier ]

3. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Flix, yeah, quitting smoking is no walk in the park. In fact, these were probably the most difficult two months of my whole life. But I did it, and so can you.

And just imagine how hard it was for me after *years* of smoking.

4. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Well maybe on day I'll try to stop, I'm ashamed to say I'm addicted but it's the way it is. But this thread is getting kind of off topic so I think it's best to stop now lest we suffer the wrath of a moderator.

5. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member Member of the Week Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, one problem is it is starting to wander off topic.

Another problem I have, and sorry if I seem a bit anal to some of you, I think this thread can do without the word '*****'. Sometimes the ladies participate in this thread too ya know.

Lord Fox, if my warning appears to read too much into your post or if it was intended as purely off the cuff, sorry. But the fact remains that the use of that word is viewed as reducing women to objects, whose existence and purpose is bound up solely with male pleasure. So ... let's keep in mind that relationships, true relationships, involve a tango of two.

6. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    A tango of two, nicely put, Beren. :D

Should learn that dance.

And Ofelix, I think it's quite normal what she's asking you. ;)

7. chevalier

Media:
    Hmm... Uytuun, what if he asked her something like that, would it be normal too? :D ;)

8. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

My gf asks the same (don't get drunk around her) too but I don't really listen. I guess it's reasonable up to a point. If you're a "rowdy drunk" like I am sometimes, I think it's fair for her to ask that, if not, and you can handle yourself properly, she should have no complaints. Besides, I will second Barmy's sentiments, once we start dirnking, I'm no longer the agressor :p

9. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Enag, that is exactly the situation with a good 80% of requests by women on their fellas :lol: . "Of course sweetheart, I'll not get drunk tonight, I'll be home by 9pm!".. walks in at 1am pissed as an Irish fart :lol: . Men just do not listen, it'll always be the same. We're all kids at heart.

10. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Bah, the "one that got away" a few weeks ago is showing interest again. This is probably just a game now, or even worse a check on her part that she's still got me wrapped around her little finger, but part of me still thinks "what if...?"

Why can't human mating be as simple as it is in the animal kingdom? :nolike:

11. chevalier

Media:
    *Sigh* Men shouldn't listen like that, but once a promise is made... ;) It's one thing that some promises are made in dodgy circumstances - you know, pressure, the wish for the other person to piss off and stop bugging us and all - but a promise is a promise. It would be better to keep it and stop making similar ones in the future. And once again, women have the right to ask men not to be drunk in their presence - although this doesn't mean they can always cut any drinking by just showing up. With me, it's like this: as a rule, requests and negotiating are one thing. But when I see any manipulation which can't be attributed to emotions and the heat of the moment, I cut it.

12. Barmy Army

Media:
    Urith, women are just a pain in the arsehole.

There is a lass at work, a nice girl, quite quiet but she's got a nice personality. She likes me, I can tell. If I wanted I could get a bit there no problem. Not a great looker, but she's a nice lass. I just have hopes of getting this other girl, even though I don't really think she's interested in me that way. I don't think it would be right to go with this other girl when I don't really want her, I want the other girl. It wouldn't really be fair on her.

I'll just wait and see what happens... why are women such complicated creatures?

13. Urithrand

Urithrand Mind turning the light off? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    You are in an almost identical situation as me :bad: One that's absolutely amazing but not interested, and another that's way interested and can't hold a candle to the other :hahaerr:

I guess it's human nature to want what we can't have more that what we can (phillisophical moment there... :geezer: )

14. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    Why yes, chevalier, of course it would. :p I know a friend that asked his girlfriend to stop smoking, and she did. We're just too docile. :D :p

15. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

@Barmy

9pm? Good God, nobody's even in bars here until 11pm, stupid local nightlife, everyone wants to make an entrance :rolleyes:

@uytuun

that goes both ways I guess. I have a friend so domesticated by his gf that you can almost see (pardon the graphic image here) his johnson hanging from a pendant and his balls on her earrings :rolleyes:

i too have asked my gf to stop smoking (I don't smoke) but to no avail. Of course, I've never really applied pressure..

16. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Contrary to that sweeping generalisation, many of those of us who are in long term relationships have actually learned to listen (shock! horror!) It's one of the tiny reasons why we are still in those long term relationships.

17. Barmy Army

Media:
    "Now, Harbs, don't you go getting to drunk when you go to the pub to watch the All Blacks! I want you home and putting Harbourbaby to bed before 8pm.", "Ok Harbourmissus, I will definitely be home for 8pm and I promise I'll stay sober!". You walk in late bladdered after watching the All Blacks trounce the Aussies 50-0 singing songs. Harbourmissus gives you evils when you walk in. "And where were you at 8pm?! And you're drunk!!!" " *hick* Sorry love, my mates kept buying me drinks! *hick*".

Tell me you've not been there! :D

18. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

On the contrary, I listen attentively and end up usually doing what she wants (either because it coincides with what I want or I don't mind doing it... its not like she would ask me to kill someone).

19. Wiley One Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I happen to agree with Harbourboy. I have been married for 16 years and I didn't get there by tuning out my wife.

@BA
    Sure, we all have those moments but it doesn't mean we don't listen we just sometimes "get caught up in the moment."

20. Barmy Army

Media:
    Under the thumb, Saber, under the thumb ;) .

I still say men just don't take in information. Women are so much better than men at listening and taking in information, then handling that information. Every woman I know is ace at remembering birthdays, names, faces blahdie blah. I, and most men I know, just can't do it. We forget names easily, faces easily, dates REALLY easily. We forget what people have told us just 10 minutes ago. It's not an intentional thing, we don't mean to be ignorant it's just the nature of the male race.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.