1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Religion and Wars

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Beren, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I understand but I just don't agree that it's their place or duty to demand legal action. If religions meddle in politics it gets ugly sooner or later, that's just the way it goes. So everyone's better off if religion remains a spiritual and philosophical organisation instead of a political lobby. I can understand that individuals have different social values and won't vote for people who condone abortion, that is the individual's right of course, but religions as institutions do not need to intervene, and indeed should not.

Religions are in many ways above politics, they are institutions of spiritual and moral guidance. When they lower themselves to the political level they are distancing themselves from that spiritual ground. I'm not active in my Church right now but I'm still a member but if I find that they make a single political statement as an institution they can be certain that I'll file resignation papers the very same day.

2. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

Re: 2 Samuel 21
    God may not have demanded a human sacrifice, but he blamed the famine on Saul and ended it after seven of Saul's sons were killed.

And about the events of Judges 11...where does it say (or is implied) that God didn't like it? Was Jephthah punished later on? He led Israel for six years until his death, which isn't elaborated on at all.

3. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I am far from surprised. See no evil...

4. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

Religion works because its followers are not taught to ever question or think, so its no surprise that obedience is highly prized and is even an excuse for evil acts.

Tell me, if your church leader, who you absolute faith in, told you to kill someone else, because he was converting people away from your faith, would you do so? Would you take his life? If you were then told he was not converting people away from your faith, and that your church leader lied, would you not feel responsible and guilty? Would you not regret your action?

Dont tell me your church leader would never do so such a thing, or that you would never follow such a church leader - everyone has their moments of weakness. Let us assume there was such a church leader, and he happened to give that order.

BTW every legal system in the world agrees with me - if you choose to follow an order you are partly liable for its consequences.

5. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

No, passing through fire was part of Moloch's cult, not that of Asherah.

I am curious about the first part, tho. Could you please provide a citation or something of the OT wherein we are informed that Jahwe destroyed Israel because of the worship of other gods?

... cuz I cant find anything. :bad:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.