1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Return of the King Book and Movie.

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Khazraj, May 11, 2003.

1. Baezlebub Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Eze, you haven't read the books, have you. Read them and find out what happens with Aragorn and Arwen.

Really, if you're going to bag characters in a film, read their whole story in the book.

2. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

i always absolutely hated the ending to LOTR book. Like i hated the bit with the elves going off.

All this buissness about sailing off the lands in the west is really sad and makes me think of euthanasia, it just doesn't make sense. Live forever? what! oh god.
    Anyway, if jackson finishes the film with them all sailing in a boat into the grey mists then i will just weep, it will just add another layer to my confusion and dismay about the ending and this so called 'western land'

If someone can accuratly explain what it is i would be all ears.

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    @ Sir Dargorn - Have you read the Silmarillion? If not, read it, it explains the concept. I'd rather not spoil it for you here, so I will not post any more. If you have read the Silmarillion and still have the questions, PM me and I'll try to offer my explanation.

4. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

dmc is right. Read Silmarillion.
    As for the ending, it is the nicest ending I've ever seen. It quite moved me.

5. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

I've been thinking about it and I've decided that it will have to end with them sailing off to the west. Right through out the movies Elrond and Gladriel (sp?) have been going on and on about how the 3rd age is ending and the elves will soon have to depart. It just wouldn't be complete if they don't tie this up in the end. Wouldn't be like Peter at all.

6. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

My understanding as well is that there won't be any invasion of Shire in the movie. Though I've no official information to back this thought up, of course (who would). It's hard to say what the ending will be. I'm not sure as to how many times the walk to the gray harbour (whatever it is in English, readers of the books should know what I mean) was hinted at in the movies, but I do remember that the walk the elves took there in FoW was only shown in EE (though in TT Elrond did mention a few words of it, as Arwen left with the other elves). So there is a good possibility that the movie will end in some sort of party with Gandalf perhaps hinting at his time and purpose being up and that he has to leave. Invasion of shire, if it ever was filmed (and as Saruman was the core-reason for that, I doubt it because of the obvious difficulties it would cause with his death), will probably be in EE. The ships leaving from the grey harbors, plus Gandalf's & Frodo's last goodbyes will obviously be exclusive to EE. Let's hope it'll turn out good though.

As for the films still, the first one was as good as it was because it had so much to offer. It was the first movie perhaps in the history of mankind to bring such amazing sights of a real fantasy world live in such a way. The second book even didn't include the same feeling of mystical adventure that the first one did. I watched the second film 3 times, and even though I was disappointed after the first, the last 2 times gave me more insight as to what was actually done right instead of how it could've been done... what perhaps I would've done. The "death" of Aragorn was something I still don't accept, as it was just so uselessly stupid (the dreams of Arwen were important yes, but they could've been shown through other means). Otherwise it was made with the same amount of skill and determination as #1 was, only in a less appealing setting and environment.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.