1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Savegame names

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Firestorm, Oct 8, 2001.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Since I saved whole campaigns of several main chars I have learned from hopeless confusion and now I name my savegames like that:

<name of main char> - <location>

-instead of main char I sometimes give a party name, just like now in BG-1, "three shorties".
    -instead of location I sometimes name what I just did or want to do like "before firekraag fight"

it's a real science as you can see :p ;)

2. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I do "Before Such-And-Such". That's usually when I make an archive save. Otherwise, I use quick-save. OFTEN.

3. Nivek The Mad Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] I hate to be a copycat, but my naming conventions are nothing new, either. Besides quicksaving every time I rest, buy, sell, enter, exit, kill, heal, or burp, I keep lots of milestone logs (half done nalias keep, or finished umberhulks naliakeep) like that. But hey, whatever works for you... not that there's anything WRONG with that... :grin: -- Jerry Seinfeld Bard of Yadda Yadda :grin:

4. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

[​IMG] I am just curious, about such silly things as this. So none of you call your saves something like: kdjndfmjk or something? Good, that annoys me very much. I usually call them something in character with the PC. My paladin-save was called Gabriel's Holy Fury, and my MP game of all females was called Girls' Night Out. I too only use the real save option when i am going to quit, else i use the Quick-save.

5. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

hehe, I always pretend that you can only auto-save when my parents are asking me to quit...

6. My all girl parties I call:

Mel, Jess, Daine, Alexia, Irene(Dudette:D), Quin(Me but my name is not spelt that way)

Parties that are based on story characters:

Tamora Pierce books

Walkthrough parties:

Party going through WK for Walkthrough

7. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] hmm i remember playing dune2 on my amiga, I had savenames like "revenge of the harkonnen", "kill'em all", "darn" and such hehe

Now I'm on the most basic terms possible. I generally have 2 saves one named "main" saved before quitting, the other named "buffer" used when there are two different ways to do a thing and if i want to return back to that point i use it. By the time the next such thing occurs, I've usually resolved the first so no prob.

I make use of quicksave a lot tho. And if there's something really special that i wanna turn back to later like before the kangaxx fight, i save them with proper descriptive names :)

8. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Ironbeard, yo're lucky that you have only parents nagging... I have group home counselors. They're EVIL! I want to feed them to spiders... or sic Entreri on them... Or Drizzt, he'd do it, 'cause they're evil....

Just ranting

Ara
    (Psychotic little Priestess of Lloth-wannabe)

9. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Yeah? Well, *MY* parents...

Oh shit. My parents live 1500 miles away now. I have a son of my own! I grew up when I wasn't looking! AUUUUGHH!

(-:

Anyway, if it's any consolation, having a kid is even worse on the gaming habit than having unsympathetic parents. God only remembers the last time I've been able to get out to a pen and paper or tabletop game, and my parents may have pulled some hijinks on me all right, but they never climbed up on a box and pushed my CD tower over the stair railing while I was playing a CRPG...!

10. Nivek The Mad Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] or how 'bout having your eight-month old in your arms - and you were...just...holding her...for... ONE SECOND - suddenly taking a poorly-diapered wizz on your keyboard - right after you finished the UmberHulks in Nalia's keep, and before you did your quick-save...
    <<bzzt - pop - cc-crack - bzt>>
    NNNNOOOOOooooooo!!!

(s'okay - I still love her anyway :grin:)

11. For some strange reason, I had a tendency to save game names (when quick-save and auto-save just weren't enough) as my PC's name spelled backwards.

Daria (mage) - airad
    Daron (avenger) - norad
    Avian (skald) - naiva
    Kylana (totemic druid) - analyk
    Syen'Katar (swashbuckler/mage) Ratak'Neys

Hmmm . . . come to think of it, those were some weird names, both forward and backward!

Besides that, I saved games as they would be. In the golem room in the de'Arnise hold, I saved it as "Da Golems" :)
    Before going into the planar sphere, I was soloing and wasn't sure if I would make it out. I saved my game before going into the sphere as "big ol' sphere".

Heh. Some pretty unoriginal save names, nuh?

[This message has been edited by creudzfeldt-jakob (edited October 10, 2001).]

12. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

Thanks for your feedback all. I am a REALLY curious guy so i just wanted to know.
    (BTW, thats a pretty serious disease you named yourself after Mr. Jakob ;) )

13. Spudsquisher Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Am I too late? oh well, in my single player games I name them after the protagonist (sp?) and in my multi games I name them after the teams, ie: the new one I started the other day, a bunch of bards and a theif, obviously my iron maiden party!

14. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I use a lot of methods. Mainly I use the name of my main character. I use quick save often, but when I have some problems I make alternate save games. For example when I meet with a bug, I use the f*ck off name...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.