1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

School Sucks

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Kovalis Darkfire, Mar 5, 2003.

1. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

what kind of attitude is that? school sucks?

You act just like a little kid who can't wait to grow up. The sad fact it, once you grew up, once you got out of school, you will be missing it, a lot.

i mean think about it. When you are studying, you don't have major responsibilities. You don't have to worry about the rise in price of daily needs. You have no job yet you are well feed. Countries have laws to protect underage for being exploited. The whole world is protecting you and you say your life sucks?

2. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Well put, teekc. I remember how much I hated homework, so I try to give my students time in class to finish their assignments. I can't completely eliminate the necessity for homework, but I assign the least amount of it of any teacher in my school.

I liked what Warden Glynn said on OZ "in the days of slavery it was illegal to teach a slave to read and write, but some people had a thirst for knowledge, and they couldn't be stopped. The reverse is also true. If you have no thirst for knowledge, it is impossible to teach someone to read who does not want to be taught."

3. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

It seems that most of those who are in school don't value it and those who are out of it value it. We'll have to wait a few years for the young 'uns to finish and then see what they think of school.

Very few subjects are useless if there are any. At worst, studying for them instills discipline and helps round your education. And once you go to college or uni, you should be able to choose the subjects you want.

4. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

This goes back to one of the eternal questions in education "what are we aiming for?" Do we want workers who have technical skills -- are we educating workers? Or are we educating humans? There's arguments for both sides. I know that some courses seem to be quite "soft", and they will never help us make money, but regardless of what you are you are a member of society, and should be informed / trained accordingly, right? There's not easy pat answer, but given my love of literature and history, I come down on the humanistic side as opposed to the worker drone side.

5. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Teekc you are misunderstandin. I just said I don't like shcool. I didn't say I don't want to go. I only said I don't like it. Ther's a difference.

6. enjan Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

teekc, I can say for sure that I had a much happier life as soon as I got out of public school. Even work where you have more responsibilities, you also have more freedoms, and in my case and hopefully for most people you get to do something you enjoy. I'm also going back for my undergraduate degree in applied mathematics, but it feels a lot better when you get to study something you like, and a lot of the pressures feel a lot lighter as well.

7. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Well i didnt enjoy my primary school, i was bullied for 3 years. I like my seconday school more because there aren't as many stupid idiots (there are some but not as many as at my primary school). In the last 2 years i've seriously fallen out with my mum (who i live with after my parents split) and so at school it's a respite from the arguments.

8. Yerril Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I'm 16 and, to be honest, I wish I was younger. I hate the fact that I am getting older, I hate that I am pulling myself forward into the grave, I hate that I have to fend for myself, I hate that the best years of my life will soon be over.

But, I don't hate school. Sure, there are some lessons that bore me to drooling, there always have been. But I know that I'm being educated, and that every day I'm coming closer to being a real person. And I know that the hard work will eventually pay off, the sooner the better, so I can start living my life as early as possible.

Plus, I love to watch the workings of a school. It's a community in itself. I love to watch the social interactions of my group of friends. I know who hates who, who fancies who, and all of these emotions and motives are there, just below the surface when we all talk. It is so interesting, watching how people work. Then I add my own emotions to tip the balance. :)

9. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Are you really sure you know anything you need to live a normal live? What kind of normal life is 'normal'? Does unexpected incident that pull you far away from home to the heart of Amazon consider normal to you? "i know well what will happend in the future", is that what you meant?

Now let's consider what is relevant to you? First, you are a human, so pretty much everything that touches 'human' is relevant to you, which includes, sociology, biology, psychology, music, and the list goes on. Schools don't teach you to be a technician. Schools teach you to be a person. Schools don't teach you to face your job. Schools teach you to face the world.

Besides, how old are you? Are you sure you will be a junior-no-name-computer-programmer for life? One day you might be a programming group leader, that's when all these sociology and psychology knowledge kicks in. See the point?

10. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Teekc is right - you never know what you'll need to know. Now that I'm done with formal education, the topics I'm most interested in are the things I blew off while in dedicated pursuit of the degree I'd need for my career. BTW, that dream career and I parted ways before some of you were born and I'm much happier now.

11. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Next year will be my sophomore year in high school. It seem like everyone I talk to about it thinks that it is the hardest year. What do you all think is the most difficult year in high school. Voice your opionons. Thank you.

12. Xyphys Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

It's my final year at high school and of course this year is meant to be hard. At my school everyone says the year before the final year is the hardest but I ensure you the final year is the hardest.

13. Platypus Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

School for me is interesting from a sociological/psychological point of view, as I live in an all-boarding, all-male school. Since this is such an artificial environment, life can either be really laid back or completely regimented, depending on what the teacher who controls your house (boarding building in which you live with a given no. of other students, size in pupils depending on size of school, etc).

Unfortunately, the little garden gnome who rules my life is, I am quite sure, completely souless. If I go any further with spouting off the general feelings of apathy/loathing/insanity-producing-hatred (no, really, this guy in my house is starting to lose his marbles) this guy produces, then I'll probably offend the more religious types around here :o

I don't really hate school, though - most of my best friends are a few minutes from my room, although admitedly so too could be my worst enemies ... but thankfully I don't have too many of those :)

14. Ex-Paladine Banned

[​IMG] It sucks

Homeworks, shouting teacher there are too many to list...

But breaks are good to laugh...

15. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    One of the things I regret most in my life is dropping out of school. I had evrything (academiclly speaking) open to me, I was in the best school in the entire country, and yet I dropped out. It was not due to my own fault, for I was influenced by forces outside y controil, but it still infuriates the Nine Hells out of me. It hurts ike hell thinking what could have been if nor for... many things.

School SUCKED! I was bullied for ten years. I am, in fact, right now writing a nasty letter in response to an article in the newspaper glorifying the principal of my old school who never did anything to stop the widespread torture of many a student.

But I still carry on. Come august, I'll start again. I have wasted two yeas, and it'll take me two years longer than most until I have waht I wasn when it comes to school... I know not exactly what I will study, but I still have a few months to decide.

School is hell, yes. but iot is FAR better than the alternative.

(The fallen one )

16. Ex-Paladine Banned

Hell is better then to go school. My life is passing. And I'm going to school. Get punishment for HW. :falaming: Hell or school...

I choose hell

17. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Look on the bright side, Paladine. There is no account of hell ending for anyone, where as there are only twelve years of school. :) ;)

18. Ex-Paladine Banned

Yeah... So you are right but for me school is not much better than hell

19. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Well, hang in there. ;) I hope that you'll find it useful in the future. :) I'm fairly sure I will.

20. Platypus Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Hmm... a LOT of people here seem to be saying that they were bullied or are being bullied at school, to a greater or lesser extent - either this is a really worrying trend amongst the young of the world, or just some colossal bad luck on the part of SPers...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.