1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Silly words

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Z-Layrex, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    scarampella
    Well, even under in depth analysis of the worst scum's slang I know I cannot find a single german word that matches this ...words. The language you're referring to must either be austrian or moron.

2. SlimShogun Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I believe it is moron.

'Dingleberry'

3. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Minger
    Poodle
    Diddle
    Biggus Diccus
    Kerfuffle
    Tiddle
    Kevin (i pity anyone with that name)

4. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Arab and Islam :hahaerr:

5. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

there were to arabians and one fez... it sounds much funnier on swedish couse there fez is fart... it goes like this:
    Det var två araber och en fez. :lol: :lol: :lol:

6. scarampella Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Ragusa:

Farvfigneugen (sp) is the term used for VW sales a about 2 decades ago (I age myself). It means something like 'joy of driving'

Ungahoya comes from the Strauss Opera 'Salome'. Her father (who has been trying to sleep with her the entire Opera) is disgusted when Salome starts having sex with John the Baptists' decapitated head. He cries out "sehr Ungahoya" which I think means 'abomination'

I don't think Strauss' lyricist wrote in Moron, I'm pretty sure it is German.

I'm sure there is a moron here somewhere who can verify this

[ August 31, 2002, 02:48: Message edited by: scarampella ]

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] scarampella, Ragusa is German so if those words were remotely German, he'd know. Even I know that they aren't, with only my base knowledge of German. I'm sure know that now that he knows what those words are supposed to mean, he will be able to provide the true words. So in the future refrain from posting words you can't spell even vaguely right. It's as if I made wrote some totally meaningless babble and called it Chinese just because it sounded weird to me.

[ August 31, 2002, 09:50: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

8. scarampella Gems: 10/31

Alright Tal,

I feel challenged to defend myself here, I've pulled out the libretto for the opera so I can get the spelling exact. (one would never know we were surrounded by such spelling experts by reading these boards)
    King Herod says in GERMAN:

"Sie ist ein Ungeheuer..."

which is translated as "she is a hideous monster"

Not only does language change rapidly with time, but you might want to take into consideration many language based arts use language of antiquity, not everyday words, so just because someone speaks German doesn't mean they know every German word in history Tal.

I thought this word sounded silly because it SOUNDS the way I spelled it - UNGAHOYA.

I will drop the Farfgneugn since it has been too long since that ad was out and obviously everyone here from the US is either too young to have seen it or too old to remember anything

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Come now, language doesn't change that fast, and certainly hasn't changed much in your lifetime. Old words not getting used any more, sure, but certainly not nouns changing form like you're implying.

And certainly anyone speaking German will know what Ungeheuer means, heh. It's not some abstract notion, it's a word meaning monster.

The other one won't be "Farf-" anything either, but "Fahr(en)-something" since the verb to drive is fahren.

Feel free to find the pronunciation of the words funny though. :D

10. scarampella Gems: 10/31

Tal

"And certainly anyone speaking German will know what Ungeheuer means"

What's up with that?

first you tell me it couldn't be German, then you claim it is obvious.

ungahoya: abomination
    ungeheuer: monster

doesn't seem like that far a stretch of the imagination :rolleyes:

I disagree about language transformation. At least where I live words are changing with every generation. Last century people spoke English quite differently than they do now.

11. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Actually, scarampella, while english word usage and sentence structure have changed considerably, most words themselves have not changed much in the last 100 or even 200 years. Now, first off, contextual nouns such as computer, printer, disk, or internet are obvious exceptions. As are outdated nouns relating to outdated technological things, such as penwiper. Those words don't count as they refer to specific things within a temporal (or cultural if you want) framework.

Things like person, woman, man, house, science, monster, abomination, book, widow, sky, sun, and thousands of other common nouns, as well as verbs, haven't changed at all. The introduction of standardised spelling a few hundred years ago has obviously had a major impact on how people spell them, but the meaning has been maintained.

The major changes have been in word usage, and in the structure of sentences; current english writing is of a very informal structure, as opposed to the highly stylised and formal structure of the 1800's. Various phrase formations, such as using the word 'one' to refer to the third person individual (e.g., 'One does not wish oneself to be counted amongst that group') are considered to be outdated. Yet, the word 'one' still retains the same meaning: the numeric digit 1; an individual; a single unit, etc.

Still, english does change much more rapidly than other languages, but that is more in terms of new words (think of the thousands of technical terms for objects that would not have existed even 50 years ago). Slang, however, changes extremely rapidly.

So, yes it would be quite true to say that "Last century people spoke English quite differently than they do now". However, stating that the actual words have and are changing with each generation is not true. Unless you are refering to slang, or words that refer to objects, concepts or ideas that simply didn't exist before.

BTW - Some other silly sounding words: plethora, galoshes, gazeebo, and (one of my favourites) mukluks :)

[ September 01, 2002, 03:44: Message edited by: Gnolyn Lochbreaker ]

12. scarampella Gems: 10/31

Thank you Lochbreaker, you have added a little much needed something to the conversation.

You are right, slang is mostly what I was referring to, and America, being such a young country (relatively) has changed the language radically in the last few centuries. But, slang cannot be dismissed easily, as it often works its way into the mainstream rather quickly.

13. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Where on earth does slang fit into this discussion? Nothing that we've been discussing previously had anything to do with slang, besides proving the point that yes, obviously, slang does change rapidly. No one said it doesn't. :rolleyes:

scarampella, I said that any German would know that word. (Any German that's not pretending not to know it because you can't spell it right, that is.) I'm not German, I just speak some German. The word's no more obscure than monster in English, and you can hardly claim that not every English-speaking person would know what "monster" means.

And no, America has hardly made any radical changes to the language. Differences in pronunciation and a few past participles that I can think of and a couple of other things are hardly what you could call "radical changes". All the nouns and verbs in American English are the same as in British English, so the only major noticable difference is in pronunciation. Oh, and the elimination of "ou" in favour of just "o". Can't think of much more besides that.

14. Oblate Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Fahrvergnügen means joy of driving
    You can make very long words in german, i like that, it can be a very exact description. But it sounds funny to people talking english. Though the english is influenced by the old anglosaxons (old germans).
    Ungeheuer is very nice because it has the meaning of very or enormous if you write it in small letters. ungeheuer blöd (little comment).
    What about Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftskartenkontrolle or Dunstabzugshaubenreparaturfirma or
    Kinderkrankenschwesternhäubchen, Müttergenesungswerk.
    By the way are you able to pronounce a german "ü"? English people are very funny when they try to talk german.

15. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] "Fruitcake" now that makes me giggle!

16. scarampella Gems: 10/31

TAL-I guess we could continue this forever the topic is an interesting one but it would be more fun it it didn't seem like an argument. (Maybe we are getting a little off topic as well?)

I guess I haven't been very clear about what kinds of changes to the language I mean. Originally, since no one seemed to know the word I wrote, I thought it possible it wasn't used anymore. So, mostly the type of change I am speaking involves spoken language, or popular language. For example, if someone said 'get me a faggot' a hundred years ago it would mean something very different than today. The word hasn't changed and it still exists but people today would think something other than a bunch of sticks tied together. As well, there are words we don't use anymore like "thou, would'st, foresooth, gadzooks, hepchick (which is a noun),..." and if I spend my afternoon thinking about it I'm sure I could come up with some most of us may not even remember.

With the advent of the 30 sec. news flash, language structure is changing as well. Often the verb is dropped entirely from the sentence i.e. "man dead, news at eleven". Who knows how pervasive this kind of change will be. Maybe people will not really talk that way, but I am often amazed by my fellow Americans inability to form a sentence. Take our illustrious Pres. Bush as an example.

17. Taluntain

Media:
    You're just proving my points with your last post. I said myself that we're dropping old words. And the only reason no one recognized those words was because there weren't any Germans around. (And because they were spelled wrong, so even those like me who know only a bit of German couldn't look them up in a dictionary.) :p

A word can hardly be unused any more, when it appears in an opera text. Words disappear when they're not used ANYWHERE any more.

And the verb being dropped in journalistic headlines? I'm pretty sure that's been happening since they invented newspapers. :shake:
    It being used on TV and radio news is only the logical extension of providing news in a concentrated form. However, this is an exception, since it's not used anywhere else, and as such a rather poor example to give.

As for some Americans and their use of language... Well, that'd take a whole new thread to comment on. :shake:
    But there are many more factors to take into account there, like the educational system and so on.

[ September 01, 2002, 20:36: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

18. scarampella Gems: 10/31

Tal: I said myself that we're dropping old words.

Scara: Is it possible we agree? Or are you one of those types who must be the only one right all the time?

Tal: "And the only reason no one recognized those words was because there weren't any Germans around. "

"Ragusa is German so if those words were remotely German, he'd know."

Scara: get your story straight.

Tal: (And because they were spelled wrong, so even those like me who know only a bit of German couldn't look them up in a dictionary.)

Scara: ungahoya: abomination
    ungeheuer: monster
    doesn't seem like that far a stretch of the imagination

If I had even a remote knowledge of German I could have figured that one out

Tal: It being used on TV and radio news is only the logical extension of providing news in a concentrated form. However, this is an exception, since it's not used anywhere else, and as such a rather poor example to give.

Scara: You have not proven this as a poor example to give. That is merely your opinion and contrary to what you might think, yours is not the only one. There are courses in our best Universities whose curricula centers upon the media and its affect upon culture, including language. I recently read an editorial in the LA Times which concerned itself with this very topic.

Slang, BTW very much fits into our discussion as it is a part of language and demonstrates an element of how language changes with time. A few years ago Californians voted on whether to teach classes using Ebonics which is a kind of black American street language. It was voted down, one reason being people do not want to legitimize the changes they have made to our language.

Alas, I waste my breath though. And to think all this is the result of me misspelling a word in a language I don't even know. I can't imagine what might befall were I to misspell an English word :wail:

19. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

:yot:

"Shimmy", makes me laugh.
    And i'm not even going to get involved in this discussion. :p

20. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

the name "bobby", no offense to guys who responds to that name. it's funny to me because of an old local commercial about a canned good product (meatloaf... i think). it involves "bobby baboy" ("baboy" is pilipino meaning "pig") courting "becky baka" ("baka" is pilipino for cow). it was a hilarious commercial. and also an indonesian acquaintance told me that "bobby" means pig in indonesian.

...although "bob" doesn't have the same effect on me. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.