1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Sir?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by cirrostratus, Jan 15, 2001.

1. Sorl Guest

[​IMG] For Syl a mage is good if he has 18+ STR CON DEX, is grandmaster in katanas, can wear any armor and hacks at anything that moves and slashes at everthing that doesn't.
    INT is only a secondary feature for such a mage (as long as it's high enough so he can give sane dialouges with Grub).

2. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

LOL, you're right, Sorl. Still remember people? About Syl's:'ranged weapons are for cowards' concept.
    Personally, I would take both Nalia and Imoen for a good aligned party. Imoen can pick any lock, and Nalia can cast heavy spells. The 2 of them can't amount to much in the face of Edwin but hey, it's really difficult to fit that guy into a party and try to get low prices from stores with a high reputation. (ME POWERGAMER!!!!) I love the fighter characters, by the way, due to their sheer power.

3. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Aerie is who I had in my party as my mage.

With Bless, Chant, Defensive Harmony, Protection from Evil 10' Radius and other protection spells cast on Grub, along with all the immunities due to the items he had, Aerie was a last resort back up.

Side by side with Valygar, Minsc and Keldorn magic really didn't become an issue with me. Jaheira backed us up with healing as did Aerie too and when it was time to remove all the magical protections on an evil mage, Keldorn dispeled it.

The rest was left for Grub to finish off.

Syl...

4. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

But you can't dispel stoneskin and globe of invulnerability, Syl. How the hell did you get so far in the first place?
    Most mages would have cast horror on your party and the instant Keldorn fails his saving throw...you're screwed. A finger of death for Grub, a fireball or two for Aerie, couple of lighting bolts for Keldorn, Valygar and Jaheira...you get the idea. Even if he ran out of spells, his fighter cronies could easily cream your party who are running in terror. You must be a tatical genius to play the way you play, Syl.

5. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

It's called having backups. Aerie had a good amount of Remove Fear memorized along with Dispel Magic as did Jaheira. Due to its wide radius, casting these in the middle of the pack will remove the effects on multiple party members. It's nothing to get worried about.

I've even seen Confusion become dispeled by a Dispel Magic, as odd as that seems.

Fireballs? Lightning Bolts? My entire party is protected from such things, resistances to both electricity and fire from items found in the game. Minsc doesn't need such items because he gains spells and has access to protection from fire if need be as does Valygar.

Fighter cronies dispatching my party? Very unlikely, although I'm not sure which cronies you're talking about.

Anyhow, most of Aerie and Jaheira's spells are defensive, there to help the four front line fighters with bonuses to their attacks. They both had mixed offesnive spells, two of them from Aerie were Death Ward, for both Grub and Minsc, just incase those finger of deaths came flying our way.

Actually, in all honesty, in the time I did play BG2 and up to the point I had gotten, I had never been caught in a fireball blast. No mage had ever brought that down on me. Flame Strike, plenty of times as with Call Lightning Strikes. Minor lightning bolt attacks but with the sick amount of items that gave you such protection and resistance against cold, fire and electricity, there was never a need to worry.

Like I said, a maunty haul game. Evenly distributed through the party, you have very little to worry about when it comes to such spells.

Now...that horrid wilting spell. There is something that could easily wax the entire party. That spell is just deadly!

Syl...

6. Sorl Guest

Shura, I got Nalia and Imoen in my party. With htem I got all the thief qualities I need. That's mostly trapfinding. I'm a burned child with traps. In nethack those traps could and would easily dischant your superweapon or disintegrate your shiny +x armor (or you, for that matter). So I'm still very weary not to step into one. And if Grub had ever found his favorite slashing instrument tarnished and blunted by acid, he wouldn't dance around in dungeons, waiting for the next trap to go off with nice little fireworks.

I look forward to my next party, with Nalia, Imoen, Edwin and myself (this time mage not sorcerer).

Just envision the four of us standing peacefully and happily side by side casting cloudkills on a poor little dragon.

7. Maveroick Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Wow Syl, Grub sure sounds like a great guy.
    What class is he?

I took Imoen just cause well, she seems important to the story...
    She isn't really that useful, just tags along and well...doesn't really do much...she dies sometimes...
    She can cast some high level spells, pick locks and find/disarm traps..

But other then that....nah...nothing.

Mav

8. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

Grub is a Half-Orc Barbarian!

Syl...

9. Thaumas Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I just started a half-orc fighter/thief called Grab :p.

10. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31

You guys are killing me softly ;)

Syl...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.