1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Solo BG1... what class makes it easiest?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Klorox, Oct 28, 2007.

1. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

I know it sounds odd, but a Dwarven F/T gets regeneration with 20 CON (achievable with the book) which can make soloing much less of a headache - sometimes 2 CLW spells just doesn't cut it.

Personally, I'd still rate an elven FMT top (for the mage spells), but I think regeneration is a much better bonus than a THAC0 point or some skill points, if you're comparing straight F/Ts. Of course a Ranger/Cleric is completely different & very powerful, but I've never got very far in these games without thieving skills. I find it's just too painful to leave things unlooted... ;)

2. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Yeah, we get it allready, you like elves, fighters with dual wielding swords, and flinging fireballs :p (Just toying with you, all I'm saying is that you should try to be open for new ideas instead of claiming that whatever you like automatically rocks.)

Go have a read at the "Bards with wands" as suggested earlier, excellent read, and very good solo character.

3. Anjo Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

My 2 cents goes for M/T. Done that, Invisibility is powerful in BGI IMO.

4. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

I know what you mean.. I've just developed a large connection with thief-type classes for some reason, not that it's a bad thing, though my protagonist usually has some rogue blood in him :)

I'll admit, I didn't think much of them when I first started playing BG, 'till I found out how powerful they can be! I'm sure if I put as much effort into playing some of the other classes (namely clerics or bards) as I do thieves, I'd probably have the same respect for them as you.

I first noticed this with Kaigin and thought it was quite handy! The healing factor AND some nice spells to throw around with make the R/C a high favourite for soloing although a self-regenerating F/T does sound pretty tempting ;) Just out of curiosity, does this only occur with dwarves that have a CON score above 19, or does it apply to any race with a high CON score?

5. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Ranger/Cleric for me. I played through about half of the game with one, then stopped because it wasn't enough of a challenge.

6. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

For BG, I'd go with an F/T. Continuing to BG2 I'd go with the R/C.

7. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

@Silvershield: any character with 20 CON. But as there's only one +1 CON book in the game, you'd have to be cheating for any other race to get it that high. IIRC, temporary constitution bonuses also count, so DUHM will also allow you to regenerate if its bonus is great enough to take your constitution value to 20 or greater.

8. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Bah, Garrick is weak as he has puny stats. A well-rolled bard can rule the game.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.