1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Solo char?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Jimbo, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Krysalyn Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I am not especially fond of gnomes... I just thought that they might be one of the best races to try to get thru the game solo due to their natural abilities...

I figured there was almost no way to solo the game as a melee character. It just seems to me that your character would get swarmed at almost every turn, and you would never have a high enough AC to prevent significant damage.

thus, I figured that a solo char would melee in the beginning of the game only, and only until they get decent higher level spells.

so, if the solo char was going to be primarily a spellcaster (primarily = 4 or 5 chapters of the game) that a low Str initially would not be a factor, and that increasing Str would not be worth reducing other stats that would be more important for a larger portion of the game.

I figurd that AoE spells and summons would be a viable way to get thru the game, considering that melee will be very difficult to do solo...

the druid has shapeshifting which could help initially, as well as some AoE spells that would slow the enemies down...

depending on which cleric, you can have some great summons and/or buffs/debuffs

and you could also use ranged weapons as support, since you should already be out of melee action casting spells...

I am in no way set on this build or this char, I was just wondering if it is a viable solo char to try... deep gnome is the only race that gives a Wis bonus, and thought that could be very important for # of spells, as well as the difficulty of the saving throws against your spells... I definitely appreciate the input.

2. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Let's just put it this way: you need a good melee and a good magic skill and healing possibilities = druidx/clericx :D

3. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] @Ancalimon, just about what you said above. Strenth isn't the monk's best stat. Me and a few others would agree that it is Wisdom (for Armour Class. A monk applies his Wisdom to AC) and Dexterity (for more AC). Stick a Weapon Finesse in there at first level, and you'll be using Dexterity for Attack Bonus.
    :)
    INT isn't really nessecary unless you want to max out at some Diplomacy/Bluff/Intimidate skills, or identify items.
    CHA isn't really important since you can't get maximum rewards anyway because you're monk. Or if you want to fully use Diplomacy/Bluff/Intimidate then fine.
    STR i said about above.
    CON is quite important for Hp, always a major factor in a Solo game.
    As for saving throws, you've got a high Reflex(charisma), a high Will(wisdom) and possibly a high Fortitude(constitution).

@Topic. Personally, I favour the Paladin/Sorcerer, they are unbelievably powerful at high levels.

[ January 31, 2003, 15:00: Message edited by: Gopher ]

4. Kuldaharian Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

i think u can't finish solo in defeating the demon on the ice temple.....it needs 2 other character to step the shadow....

5. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31

Well Gopher, you're pretty much right. I forgot about the weapon finesse and all the other stuff you said is right. But still, I'd go for a fighter/sorcerer. :D

6. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

2 characters to step on the shadow? Maybe I missed out on something when I went through the IceTemple, but the only shadow is a trap, and you only need one character to fire the prism device to open the door...

7. teekc Gems: 23/31

There is no such thing for monk in IWD2. Unarmed attack will only use STR modifier, unless you altered the game by installing a patch or something.

8. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31

There is such a thing. Just use weapon finesse , equip a weapon and watch how your monk slowly forms a mountain of goblin chunks. Faragon didn't say he would take weapon finesse and then attack unarmed, he would attack armed. (I think) :D

And I've got a new suggestion: What about a wizardx/sorcererx? I tried that and it works wonderfully. The goblins can't even get near! The amount of spells he has memorized and can cast is vast. You'll need 3 ranks in armored arcana though, and thoughness would also help. What do you guys think?

[ February 01, 2003, 10:33: Message edited by: Ancalìmon The Wise ]

9. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Faragon didn't say anything concerning weapon finesse :grin: ;)

10. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31

I know, Gopher said it. I was wrong sorry ;) What do you think of my suggestion above?

11. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Lots of low level spells, hardly any high level ones. You're better off with a straight sorcerer. Toughness is one of the lousiest feats in the game, because even if you invest 5 featpoints in it, you will only have gained 15hp. Not at all worth it. Those 5 would be better invested in feats that boost savings and spellpenetration. And as for Armored Arcana, once you get stoneskin, AC is rather useless.

12. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31

Well, can you do stoneskin all the time? I don't think it's safe to rely on this spell. The character has to wear some armour. For instance, if you get ambushed by a band of Orcs? (we are playing in HoF!) You definatly won't have the time to cast stoneskin, and then move on to attacking. In the meantime, you are already dead.
    It's better to play safe and have some armour on, so I think armored arcana is definatly worth taking some ranks in. Toughness isn't really good, I agree. But it might be the 15 hp that saved your life against that tough dragon. And 15 hp is al lot for Soprcerer/wizard. And if you balance your skillpoints out a bit, you will certainly have powerful enough spells. ;)

13. Dragu&Barud Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] Deep gnome/Monk Lv30 Perfect class

STR:16
    DEX:20(+5 to Ac)
    CON:10
    WIS:20(+5 to Ac)
    INT:13
    CHA:1

Important feats:Expertise,Power attack
    AC:10(default)+5(dex)+5(wis)+4(race)+5(expertise)
    29+7=36.If you use the Empty body this gives you
    50% bonus to AC or AC becomes 54 making you impossible to hit the 30LV fighter can hit you only with criticals so for the HOF monsters.You will have 7 AP until LV30 so better give some to
    STR and others to DEX because Improved evasion is
    very important.Spell resistance is 50 wich means that a spellcaster must be Lv30 and roll d20 to
    beat your spell resistance or 14-20 with greater
    spell penetration.Stunning attack can be quite deadly because if he stuns you all of his attack
    are sure strike and when switched to Power attack
    he does 1D20+1D10+5(PA)+???(STR mod).There are a
    lot of cool items for monks.Monks can do 5 attack
    per round.He is very fast making it impossible to
    catch with other classes.Animals can`t do him much
    harm because he has 20/1 damage resistance.The DEX
    boots in chapter 6 are a great Monk item giving
    him +5 to dex.

14. Ancalìmon Gems: 14/31

*stunned by those stats*
    (but your CHA is way too low for a solo :D ;) )

15. Errol Gems: 23/31

Ah, my mistake above. Monks Fists' do not count as a weapon usable by Weapon Finesse. I am using one of Weimer's infamous mods, which amongst other things counts Fists as "Small Weapons", ie. allowing Weapon Finesse to be used with them.

Sorry for any confusion.
    Regardless, that monk seems quite alright.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.