1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Solos.

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Shrikant, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Everyone who is a solo spellcaster seems to have gone the Sorcerer way.
    Except for Chevy who is having a romance with his Paladin of Mystra[x]/Wizard[x].
    Has anyone done a Cleric solo?

Of the tanks again Monk seems to be the favorite. How about a Beserker?

Please do include the stats for your charecter. And explain why the ones that are low are so.

And I am not talking pure classes here, ofcourse.

2. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Me... Well, because of the high dex. and wis. of the Svirfneblin he get 25 AC at 1st level, which is inbeatable... Who needs Intelligence and Charisma? High Wis. and Dex. are the most important for the monk!

3. Mokona=Modoki Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Well, I finally finished my solo. That final battle was a real pain to beat. I ended up taking advantage of Improved Invisibility in order to stop the Slayer Knights of Xvim from killing me while Madae spammed Blasphemy. Anyone here know how to stop it?

Proud lone adventurer:
    Carrie Fernandez

aasimar paladin of Mystra 3/transmuter 20

max hp: 132

ability:
    str 11 (start 10), dex 16, con 10, int 23 (start 18), wis 9 (start 8), cha 18

with items:
    str 13, dex 21, con 10, int 25, wis 11, cha 20

skills (without ability boosts):
    alchemy 17, concentration 26, diplomacy 7 (damn you, Vese Nejj), disable device 11, knowledge: arcana 20, search 11, spellcraft 24

feats:
    aegis of rime, armored arcana 1, expertise, lightning reflexes, scion of storms, spell focus: enchantment 2, spell focus: evocation 2, spell focus: transmutation, spell penetration 2, subvocal casting

equipment:
    Master's Robe, Cera Sumat, Footman's Folly, Tyrannar's Band, Tymora's Loop, Brazen Bands, Chimandrae's Slippers, Fire Dance Talisman, cloak of protection +1, Mercykiller's Belt

spells:
    shield 4, protection from petrification 1, chromatic orb 2, mirror image 4, cat's grace 1, bull's strength 1, blur 1, blink 2, lightning bolt 2, ghost armor 3, improved invisibility 2, stone skin 1, otiluke's resilient sphere 1, fireshield, blue 1, sunfire 2, feeblemind 2, cone of cold 2, improved haste 4, chain lightning 1, tenser's transformation 1, delayed blast fireball 4, mordekain's sword 2, mind blank 1, symbol of pain 3, meteor rain 4

Most of her fights are finished with spells. I run around in an area, gathering as many enemies to her as possible, then start using area effect spells. When she runs out, she uses Mordekain's Sword, since the low paladin levels doesn't really allow her to melee all that well. Tenser's Transformation is the very last resort, in case she really needed to use the Cera Sumat (mostly for dispelling something).

4. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Well, I can tell ya, that you could make your life easier, if you have put the rest of your levels on Sorcerer. He's the better spell-caster than the Wizard... At least this is the image in IWD 2... The very best spell-caster, I assure I... I'd make it Drow Mystra Paladin3/Sorcerer-rest...

5. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

My solo effort ended up Pally 2 / Sorcerer 26 or some such. I did squat a lot of levels doing the Battle squares... Funnily enough, not a single exp pt from killing after that. <g>

Too easy overall with the sorcerer pally combo to be honest.

Took this one into HoF, and nothing is getting near her. Very boring to be honest, so I never bothered trying to finish. Oh well. Might have another go at some point with a less powerfull character to make it more interesting.

6. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    This may be a bit off-topic, but quite useful for solo players:

The game uses your character level for XP calculations. Your ECL is not relevant.

Also, I don't know for what reason, my brother got XP for killing the Guardian Dragon while I didn't. He also got some more for crystal golems. And yes, at that point I stopped getting any kill XP and he progressed a bit further in this area.

His guy was some CN drow roge/fighter/wizard to the best of my recollection. Mine was the uberpaladinwizard ;)

7. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I am giving a drow paladin/sorcerer a go. Probably paladin 5/sorcerer x taking the paladin classes when I reach sorcerer level 20-25. Innate magic resistance and the bonus from the holy avenger was the final deciding point for a drow over aasimar.

8. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Remember to have paladin levels when you get the Holy Avenger sword ;)

9. Quicho Gems: 6/31

to Tassadar:

[Edit]
    I just created a solo sorcerer and could advance in paladin ... - this means either wizard means wizard or sorcerer (in paladin class info) or you can go sorcerer and then paladin but no paladin - sorcerer - paladin
    [\Edit]

You cannot advance in any paladin levels when you have taken sorcerer levels before.

In IWD2 only some MC combinations are allowed (for MC with taking paladin levels after taking other levels):
    • Paladin of Ilmater - Painbearer of Ilmater
    • Paladin of Helm - Fighter
    • Paladin of Mystra - Wizard
    You can find this in Paladin class info.

When you want to have Paladin 5 / Sorcerer X, you have to go Paladin 5 and then the rest Sorcerer.

[ January 02, 2004, 13:04: Message edited by: Quicho ]

10. Mokona=Modoki Gems: 6/31

That's not quite true. As long as you don't advance sorcerer levels after you've taken a level of paladin, you may take paladin levels. It's perfectly fine to take your first level of paladin right before the Lost Followers if you think that's the best approach--you can.

11. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I've been thinking of some kind of solo cleric. Aasimar paladin of Ilmater/Painbearer of Ilmater seems to be the best combination (although also female drows could be good solo clerics)

Which stats are important?
    Wisdom, charisma and strength, of course, but from others it's quite hard to say.
    Maybe Str 16, Dex 9, Con 10, Int 8, Wis 19, Cha 18?

And, do I need other skills than concentration?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.