1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Someone give Aldeth oxygen...(Civilization 5)

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Death Rabbit, Feb 19, 2010.

1. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I bought it and have played it a bit but I must say that it is the weakest installment as of yet. It is still Civ and it is still fun but I although I get the "one-more-turn feeling" it isn't very strong and I don't rush home and start the game.

Have they released a map editor yet cause I have always enjoyed fiddling with that. Currently playing an earth map I downloaded as Catherine and probably having the most fun I have had but, something is missing. There are too many buts. Maybe they did change it too much but on the other hand I think they had come to road's end with the old concept. My problem is that I am not having more fun playing Civ5 than I would have had if I played Civ4. They are equally fun and that is considering that I have already spent countless hours on 4. As good as Civ5 is I must say that I am disapointed that I am not forsaking all other games and sleep for another two months just to play. You tech too fast, you build too slow, improvements barely improve, resources are much more limited than before, "perk" resources barely change a tile. You see a pair of sheep and think oh, must build a city there and all it does is +1 food. The difference between tiles is neglible. Wonders takes ages and ages to build and then dont give any benefit, great people are generally worthless except as to give golden ages that are much less valuable as they are so easy to get. City states are as much a nuisance as an interesting game feature taking up valuable real estate and often being in the way. I guess I should try to play higher than prince but my experience is that the game stops being fun when the AI starts to cheat. Oh and what Barmy writes is oh so correct, you spend 30 turns building a freaking knight and by the time it is done you have invented gunpowder and by the time you have moved it to the enemy they have riflemen a slight exaggeration but not by much. This problem has been prevalent for a long time but I think it is even more pronounced now.

I still recommend it but, well there are buts attached to it and there shouldnt be with Civ! It kinda reminds of the Call to Power series which was good at first glance but lacked something that you couldnt really put your finger on.

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Wow - couldn't disagree more. I find allying with city-states to be always worth the trouble. Free* resources, tons of free food or culture, free line of site, free friendly territory (great for healing and promotions when you're far from home base), etc. A few key policies to sweeten the relationship and bam, your civ explodes.

If you find there are too many, simply use the slider in the "advanced" section and reduce or increase the number of city-states as you see fit. In only a few instances have I felt the city-states were placed in areas where I felt they encroached on space I wanted (and there's a simple solution for that). I usually just build next to them, ally with them to get their resources and bonus, and simply consider them part of my empire. And the bonuses they give you are enjoyed by every city in your empire. If you have a decent-size empire (10 or so cities), 500g can buy one hell of a boost. Multiply that by 4-5 city states...wooo mama.

I do agree, though, that tile improvements are far less meaningful in civ5. Building a mine on a hill, for example, used to net you a +2 production boost, and now it's only +1. Wheat fields used to mean food-o-rama, now they're actually worse than a plain river tile. Not sure I understand the logic behind that decision. Still, I don't know that I'll ever go back to Civ4. They did such a good job of removing all the irritating stuff from 4 that I'm perfectly content.

* Well, not free free - you have to earn their loyalty through clearing barbarian camps, connecting resources they want, getting great people, or most often the case, giving them a wad of gold - but you know what I mean.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

There's no way I am getting addicted to that drug again. I've been to Civilization rehab and I'm now clean. I'd have to call my counsellor just to be able to look at this thread.

Death Rabbit likes this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.