1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Something is wrong with schools

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by chevalier, Sep 3, 2005.

1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    My son is in second grade and has daily homework. He does it. We review it (the teacher actually asked the parents to go over it) and, where it's wrong, we tell our son that there's something wrong (we'll give hints as to what's wrong), but it's up to him to get it right. That goes for spelling as well, as he needs to know how to spell things even though he'll have a spell-checker soon enough.

We certainly don't do his homework (my wife and I both passed second grade and see no reason to do it again), but we do take an interest.

2. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Generally, I can say with a small amount of pride that I almost never had someone answer a question for me. It's just that math wasn't as hard at the time when I was in 7-8th grade, and I went to a high school in another town (so I saw my parents only on weekends). The first 2 years my roommate could help me (he was junior, then senior), but I seldom asked and he wasn't much interested, either. The following roomie was in university so he couldn't be bothered, and the next one was 2 years my junior, so he simply couldn't. Overall, I managed to do ok in math - and was p... off at myself for not getting more than 780 on the SAT I Math. On the other hand, thanks to a lot of time spent inside and bad eating habits, my shape was pleasantly rounded and I was no good at most sports :) Then I went to university and took no math for 2 years. C'est la vie ;)
    The one subject I cheated en masse was computer programming for 12th grade. Someone had decided that humanity-profiled students don't need to know how to do a simple html web page, but need to know Cisco networking. Oookaaay, as if someone is going to hire a social scientist or a historian to fix networks. Anyway, the tests included much more than our teacher told us, and as none could get over 80% (it was a competitive school and most of us didn't like a grade as that), we weren't exactly shocked when some of us found the answers on the net. You see, Cisco has the same tests for its levels worldwide, and they don't change over the years. Hardly suprisingly, there was very little variation in our grades afterwards. Except for a few 95%s every now and then - you can't memorize everything, but it's even better than the teacher seeing everyone (total airheads included) get a straight 100%s on each test. Well, I think he knew anyway, but that's another story.

Bottom line: while knowing what to do on the net and how to use a calculator is important, I think some basic skills are necessary. When I become a parent, I could give my children hints, but I don't intend to do their homework for them. Of course, it also depends on their future mother ;)

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    @The Shaman: Yeah, I don't intend to do homework for my future children, either. And it also depends on their future mother, so as I'm no fan of fighting over control with my future wife, I guess this adds a factor for me to consider in making the right decision. ;)

But back to the topic... IT in my highschool wasn't a big thing. Two years of "elements of IT" and mostly useless stuff. Or not. Don't know. Later on, each lesson had an assignment. Do the basic one or get a failing note. Do the more complicated version and get an A. I didn't care to do the basic, so I always had someone bring it to me on a diskette when I was surfing the net. Then, I took the basic one, did the improved version on it and handed the diskette back to people who distributed it. ... And I returned to my surfing.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.