1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Song Quote Game 5

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Beren, Jul 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Wow! Rush is still recording and has been for three decades or so. Tom Sawyer, Spirit of Radio . . . Yikes! :eek:

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I don't know who Blue Rodeo or Rush are either. :(

3. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Narrow-focus Canadian groups (BR is kinda country/blues; Rush is 'rock' which doesn't really MEAN much anymore - think YES/ Emerson Lake & Palmer -kinda).

Kuemper's hearing these bands cuz Canadian radio stations are required by operating regulations to play a certain percentage of Canadian artists "to preserve our unique culture and identity" *snnnnnnxxxxx* :hahaerr: Sorry, couldn't keep a straight face while typing that piece of governmental babble.

BUT, on to my next guess - the '80s timeframe may help: Corey Heart?

And so the guesses go on, and on, and on... :spin:

4. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Now googleable. Too many extra words in the first quote. Still never heard of him, and it's not Corey Heart.

5. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I don't even know *how* you google song lyrics.

Another guess as to the artist; I'm stumped for the actual title. Robbie Robertson?

6. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Put the lyric within quotes "xxx" in the search box. type lyric afterwards. If nothing obvious comes up try spliting the quote into different "xxx" sections between punctuation points.

To keep the ball rolling in Mags absence, no it's not him either.

7. kuemper Gems: 31/31

This is my absolute last guess for Magpie's quote. Bruce Cockburne?

8. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, I didn't recognize the lyrics either, so I googled them too. And since I've never heard of the artist, I decided to google him as well (why does that sound vaguely obscene?).

Anyway, from what I could tell, he is NOT Canadian (which makes me feel a bit relieved, being Canadian myself), and while the song may be "80's style" (I couldn't really tell from the 30 second clip), it is not from the 80's - it's much more recent.

And never heard of Rush?!? I could understand not being familiar with their music, but I would think that any rock/pop music fan would at least know the name.

9. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Since The Magpie does not respond and we all know the rules, so the board go to apathetic empath as he first tried to guess (and M did not respoded within 24 hours)

10. kuemper Gems: 31/31

So what's the frickin' song?!?! :bang:

11. jaded empath Gems: 20/31

Veteran

Gee, thanks, but what's the song/who's the singer?!? :help: Please, for the sake of my ability to *sleep*... :)

EDIT: Right - took Car & Splunge's lead and just googled that puppy.
    o_O
    uh-huh
    unless a) I'm wrong with my results, or 2) i] 'Londonner' means London, Ontario, and ii] '80's' means BORN IN THE FRIKIN' EIGHTIES :lol: I've got and NICE discussion with Mag waiting on the topic of veracity, reality, and posting here. ;)

Oh....lesse :idea:

I'm a devious, degenerate, defender of the devil
    Shut down all the trash compactors on the de-tention level

[ September 03, 2005, 03:47: Message edited by: apathetic empath ]

12. kuemper Gems: 31/31

:bang: :grr:

I've heard this recently. Gimme the afternoon to think about.

13. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    OK, Mag's song is If You Want, by Tom Vek. And from the contact info on his website, I think he's from London, England, not Ontario.

As for as the current lyrics, I have no idea, although Star Wars would appear to be the inspiration for it.

14. jaded empath Gems: 20/31

Veteran

Yup, it probably started as a filk song, though it's since been released on an album, and even kinda had a music video done for it.

Oh and it's a *rap* song - the lyrics themselves may be to obtuse on their own, but the genre may help someone twig to it.

(Let no one say I'm not 'hip', 'jiggy' or 'down wit it' with my usual preference of 70' classic rock :cool: )

15. Undertaker Gems: 27/31

Anyone knows The Magpie's quote?
    BTW @apathetic empath, we could use a hint.

16. jaded empath Gems: 20/31

Veteran

Right! whew - I forgot it's a holiday weekend, I was worried that I'd just driven everyone away! ;)

Um, it is a very obscure filk song - great as it is.

How about this:

A secondary character from the Star Wars movies raps about how he's financing his ride. Considering he doesn't have many lines at all in the movies, it's illuminating.

(Oh, and Chewbacca & R2-D2 wouldn't fit this: they had plenty of lines, but we just couldn't understand them, not speaking Wookie or Droid^1 :) )

And as for Magpie's song - as Splunge said, it's If You Want by Tom Vek. Googled the lyrics and finally tracked the little limey down - saw the video for this track; interesting, but Magpie's got some explainin' to do if he thinks a 24y/o Londoner is an '80s electronic-ish Canadian! :shake:

footnote 1: BTW, if anyone happens to have scripts of what Peter Mayhew's lines are before they put the sound effects in for Chewie, I'd appreciate you dropping me a PM! :D

17. Undertaker Gems: 27/31

But this song can a cover.

18. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Well, it wasn't what I originally thought it was. Delving into my album collection confirmed how wrong I was. The only Star Wars rap song I know of is 'Fett's Vette' by mc Chris. He talks so fast, I can't say I've heard the lyrics you quoted. :shake:

19. jaded empath Gems: 20/31

Veteran

YAY! I found the other buyer of mc Chris's album! ;)

Yes, k - Fett's Vette is the song - you can put your three arms down now.

@Undertaker - o_0 uhhh, it's an original song, not a cover. (was that your comment/question?)

I'd discovered it through a 'video' mocked up by a Star Wars: Galaxies player; go take a look for 'Windspire Entertainment' for this guy's site - the work is PHENOMENAL!

Right, let's find out what mariliths listen to! :D
    (my money's on either 'the cries of the tortured damned', or Barry Manilow (to cause the former :) )

20. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Whips cracking on the wings of baalors. ;) Anyway, I was thinking of throwing out an equally obscure song by 'Weird Al' Yankovic, but decided to go with something completely different. I got one in, so now I'm extra happy.

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
    That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,
    A home and a country should leave us no more!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.