1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

SP in wiki

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by teekc, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Well, there is always the option to revert to a previous state, so if someone sees vandalism, a few clicks and it is back to normal. The admins there will do that too, if they see someone put a bunch of expletives or something in place of the regular description.

2. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Yes it could be done, Saber. But still will it be worthwhile? I'm not sure it would be.

3. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    :eek:
    Now that's a surprise. I've always thought of the people here as very friendly towards noobs - definitely more so than in any other forum or mailing list I've seen.
    Unless you venture into the Alleys of course :shake:

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Zias, we are friendly to polite and intelligent new people (like you were once (new that is, you're still intelligent and polite.....)).

It's just the rude and ignorant ones who get a hard time.

5. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    @HB: I don't know about intelligent, but I believe I am still polite indeed :)

... and who then leave and go post nasty stuff about SP somewhere else... I think I'm seeing a pattern here.

I remember initially feeling a little overwhelmed every time an admin would pop up with a "don't do this" or "not like that" message (even when not directed at me), and when Tal introduced the "no more than 5 posts per page" rule on RBP I thought that was too much. Eventually I came to realise the reason (well, one of many) I liked BoM so much was a result of all this moderation: there's no rubbish you have to sift through for hours before getting to an interesting post. And I'm quite certain I'm not the only one who feels that way.

6. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    So right, Ziad. That is what initially impressed me with BoM. I could actual find what I was looking for. I was looking for help with IWD II and, shock of shocks, the forum actually dealt with IWD II and not a bunch of unrelated things. Didn't hurt my eyes either.

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Very good point. The absence of flashy signatures that take up half the page is a blessing here.

8. Ofelix

Media:
    Sure thing, I loath forums with that kind of rubbish uurrkj

9. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

hear hear x2

10. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Pssh, I got it for being silly. :)

11. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Well, there are a few links on Wikipedia here and there that links to SP (namely, Dragon Age, BG, etc). If we just want to fulfil our Wiki-making fetishes, though, we could look at the various Wiki-maker or whatever sites out there as it could be intersting making a Wikipedia of SP. For one, I'd like to see Arrr! get it's own page. :D

12. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Oi, that's right! Wasn't a very smart move you made there either, mate :p .

Personally I don't really see the reason why SP should have an article in wiki. Publicity? Maybe; but otherwise serving any real purpose? I don't think so...

As DM states in his above post SP is mentioned and linked to in some game-related article, and imho that's the way SP should/shall be introduced on wiki.. By referring to the site in articles that deals with the games covered here.

13. Ofelix

Media:
    Beside most sane person would be scared off by our SPAM force, not many people can be awakened to the reality of the internet.

PS: Long time no see in RBB Oli, why's that?

14. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Considering this is one of the least spamfilled forums on the internet, I would not think that people would be scared of because of that. Rather, the opposite.

15. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

@Ziad:Yeah...I second that!

I first came to the BoM fresh from my first game of BG2, looking for someone who could help me out with some problems I was having with the game...

Ahhh...how time flies!! :D

16. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Personally I really don't like reading beige on black so I end up highlighting all the text to avoid hurting my eyes!

17. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The background is either dark blue or light blue, but it's not black (maybe you should play around with your monitor's settings a bit). And I have no idea how highlighting all text could make it easier to read; makes it pretty much unreadable to me.

18. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Unfriendly to noobs? Not in my experience, and I was a n00b twice already :p

I almost got the IotW plaque once for posting while drunk one night in several threads :D I edited them all out the next day when Tal brought it to my attention. Was still pretty funny though. Most of them had slurred words and incoherent statements but in the one post which was prefectly typed, it was about the ex-girlfriend of a friend of mine trying to get her new guy to pick a fight and it was posted in the BG2 thread and BTA posted next saying something like "must be a new quest" :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.