1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

(Spoiler) When fighting Kangaxx I hope you all know about...

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by bigdndfan, Aug 6, 2003.

1. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

couldnt we all just agree that everyone has their own opinions??

the earl has his, and bigdndfan has his

2. Menion Leah Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

What's wrong with a little discussion?

I agree with Earl Grey. I don't think these items were intended to be a reward of some sort. First of all, because I can think of no occasion where the game would do something similar (except the Cult of the Unseeing Eye rod).
    Second, these circlets, that everyone can easily acquire and use, can make very hard intended battles very easy. Why? Just charm someone and let him beat on his mates or just go berserk on him and he won't do anything back for a while.
    The game intended hard battles to be hard and not to be easily won by some image that casts from that circlet.

One thing I'm puzzeled about though. This issue has been raised before and I can't imagine that the Bioware people don't know about it. So why don't they just take these items away from you? Or let them decay along with the Drow stuff, or something like that. That wouldn't seem too hard...

3. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There are a lot of bugs that were never patched by Bioware; just look at the things fixed by the SP Fixpack. I guess Bioware went on to other things after their first (and only) patch.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
  4. Skywind Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

There are many kinds of gamers, from power-gamer to role-players, from non-cheater to hardcore cheater. I think it is because, Bioware wants all of them to have their fun....(Non-cheater can play the way we like and cheater can also play the way they like) :)

5. Judas Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I'm with the earl on this one. I seriously doubt the designers intended the circlets to be a reward. I believe this for a number of reasons, the biggest of which is that it more or less trivializes any encounter in the game. With the use of simulacrums and / or projected images, it trivializes EVERY encounter in the game. Why would game designers bother designing DIFFERENT encounters that can all be handled in the SAME way, for the large part by almost any party / class combination.

I write software for a living. While this doesn't give me any special insight into what these particular programmers were thinking when they designed these circlets, I know that oversights like this are very common. Ask yourself, do you really think someone sat back for a moment while creating these circlets and said "yeah... if the player was clever, they could save these circlets for the dragons, liches, and other important / difficult encounters throughout the game! It would make them so VERY easy!"?

6. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

IMHO there are more circlets than you need because you might charm an Ithlid as opposed to an Ultraillthid (sp?) accidentally, or you might use them on an Ithlid who later gets killed etc. etc.

7. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Illithids can open the doors.

Who can say whether the designers intended for us to have circlets left over after the dungeon? I have never successfully been able to open both doors with one circlet, meaning that two are needed.

BTW, the fact that you don't even need to charm creatures to open the doors lends creedence to the argument that the designers did actually intend for us to have leftover circlets.

Did they intend for the reflected image/simulacrum cheat? I doubt it. That's a bug and if it wasn't, I doubt that there would be any protection from magic scrolls in the game.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.