1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Starting new game. Need some help :)

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Archaven, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Archaven Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hi all. Thanks for all the help :) . I reload to an earlier saved game just to re-do the Unseeing Eye quest the 'proper' way.

I accepted Gaal's offer and wander to the Lower Reaches and answered the bridge riddle. Beyond that bridge, there are 3 Gauths. Anyone has any idea how do i kill these? One gauth could spit several 'cause serious wounds' spell very quickly in one round. All my party is dead before even one round is completed.

Oh before that, someone mentioned that the moderator does not like off-topic questions in one thread? I sincerely apologise but i really would like to know how would it be off-topic. Can i not mix questions all in one thread?

Thanks all :)

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Well, the easy way is to go to the Adventurer's Mart and find Deirdre in the back. One of the items she sells is called the Shield of Balduran, a shield that reflects beholder rays. With this cheesy item equipped, even a 1st level cleric could beat 50 beholders and Gauths on his own by simply standing there. :shake:

The harder way involves sniping at them from extreme range and re-stealthing. If you manage to draw one out far enough from the others, hit it with everything you have to take it down quickly and then stop to lick your wounds before trying for another one.

I wouldn't consider any of this off-topic (except maybe this question, oddly enough :shake: ), since you're still looking for help with your new game. Sure, the thread has progressed from pre-game to in-game, but it's still the same game, and we're still helping you with it. :) Consider it...a saga.

3. Warmonger Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I prefer more effective way: Haste, lots of protections (Minor Globe, Mirror Image for eg.), Greater Malisson, probably 2 Fireballs or Chaos (before they can see you). Its possible :D . If they are too strong, you can always run away and heal.
    Cleric needs to turn undead as there are some shades next to bridge.

4. Archaven Gems: 2/31

Hey guys thanks for all the suggestions :D . I found a very easy way out. Really lucky that i have Jaheira around. I have her casted the Conjure Fire Elemental spell and i have a very huge Fire Elemental!.

Just one word. Omfg, the Fire Elemental single handedly defeated the 3 gauths and i'd even used it to defeat all those shadows that blocked my way *shocked*.

Anyway this game is really fun although it's dated 5 years ago. I've put my Half Life2 on shelf since i'm having motion sickness playing it :(

5. David Falkayn Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Yeah, "Junior" is pretty impressive. It's a standard tactic of mine to send Junior on ahead to clear a passage or room of baddies. The big drawback of using Junior though is that it is so easy--that's why I deliberately dropped Jahs out of the party I'm now playing. Still, I sent summonses to take out those gauth--they really are bad news.

That just proves that with good games, rpgs especially, you don't need cutting edge graphics and fancy geegaws--all you need is a good story, exciting gameplay, balance, and replayabiity. I own quite a few newer games that are now sitting on the shelf because I'm playing this "old" classic. And now, I think we are in danger of getting off topic! :)

6. Prine Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Gauth are a pain early in the game. Damn cause serious wounds hits you for 17 HP with no save. Then again at least they don't have a freaking death ray like beholders do.

7. Truper Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Which is why I like to do the Unseeing Eye early. One Gauth I can handle, 3 gets ugly. And besides, I want Uncle Keldorn in the party as soon as I can get him :)

8. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

For some reason, Beholder-kin does not use their rays on summoned creatures, which makes them easy to kill with summons.

One component I have upgrades AI, they use their ray attacks effectively against summons, and then kill them quick, whilst vs those smart ones who wield Shield of Balduran they use their bite attacks, which is strong and do masive poison damage quickly. With hardest spawns, there are Beholders and Gauths all packed tightly and it is always fun!

9. Archaven Gems: 2/31

Hey all. I came across a potential bug :( . I'm in the lower reaches now and i'm stucked forever!. I can't seem to exit or get out from here as there's no way out once you entered the pit of the faithless.

I came to this section whereby i found the 2nd rift part in a pulsating blob. According to the walkthrough, as soon as i've assembled the 2 pieces of rift parts the Unseeing Eye were supposed to appear.

I've beaten every single monster in this room and assembled the rift parts but the Unseeing Eye does not appear. Is there a CLUA console command that i could make the Unseeing Eye appear? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

10. Prine Gems: 11/31

You can always go back to the cultists' place and start killing folk, that should also cause the Unseeing Eye to show up if he hasn't been created anywhere already. But if that fails as well, try CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("BHEYE").

11. Felinoid

Yeah, it should have appeared. But you can always take out Gaal and his buddies like you did the first time to make him appear. Here's how to get out:
    From the place where you found the 2nd rift part (the orb to the east), hug the south wall and all the way out of the room and keep on that wall as you head southwest; your departure point is right along that wall. Now you'll come up into a small area of the Cult map that looks like it's cut off from the rest. Get as close to the south wall as you can and it'll go away. Then just head to where you found Gaal before and kick his a$$. :evil:

12. Archaven Gems: 2/31

Hi guys! I'm back :) . I used shadow keeper to edit my inventory to have both rift parts and once i load the game voila! There's some text message appeared once i was near the pulsating blob followed by the Unseeing Eye appeared!. With that rod, it brings down the beholder eye to Near Death. It was so easy to defeat. I'm back with more questions. Hopefully you guys don't really mind.

1. I'm kinda excited here because i've slayed the Shadow Dragon!. The battle wasn't easy at all even my main Kensai having a THACO of 0 on main hand and 3 on off hand as well as having him equipped with the Celestial Fury and Adjatha Drinker+2. Since i've defeated the shadow dragon, i guess i don't mind to know how one's counter wing buffet?

2. How do i improve Jaheira's THACO? She has an AC of -9 now and equipped with Belm having 3 atk/rnd. With a Girdle of Giant Strength i managed to bring her THACO down to 6. If i can improve her THACO even more she really could pack a punch! and easily replace my main Kensai hero once he's dualled to a mage.

3. I noticed that Jaheira don't have much additional priests spell due to her low wisdom. Does improving her wisdom via potions before levelling up would grants her additional priests spells?

4. I know that i must have Valygar with me to enter Planar Sphere. Is it possible for me to dismiss him after we're in the sphere? Is it necessary to the plot that he must stay with my party to complete this quest? I only want to have 5 party characters.

5. If i were to perform all quests including NPCs, is it necessary for me to have them in my party to perform it? I like quests like Nalia's whereby i can still perform her quest even if she's not with my party.

6. I can't really decide now onto which quest to perform: Windspear Hill or Planar sphere? Can anyone help me decide?

7. I've bought most of the Oil of Speed. Anyone knows where i could buy endless supplies of them?

8. I can't find some of the spells that i want in Amn. I've tried Adventurer's Mart and even the Spell seller in Waukeeen's Promenade. Anyone knows where i could buy different spells? I want to buy the Improved Haste spell.

9. Does boot of speed increase attack rate? I have my Kensai wore the Boot of Speed and he seems to attack faster. In the description it only mentioned increase movement rate.

Thanks all :)

[ February 03, 2006, 04:24: Message edited by: Archaven ]

13. Felinoid

1. None that I've found.

2. Wait. Her fighter level will keep going up, and her THAC0 will keep going down.

3. No. Wisdom only gives you the extra spell slots while you have it. A potion will give you extra slots for you to fill with spells, but then you had better rest quick to actually get them (if you even would).

4. Valygar's body also works to get into the sphere. If you don't want him in your party, just kill him and check what he drops; just pick up his body from the pile and head to the sphere.

5. Actually, Nalia has a few quests that you can't perform unless she's in the party (like her father's funeral). NPC-specific quests are just that; you do need them.

6. Planar Sphere. Definitely. I always save Windspear for later unless I want to get Carsomyr early.

9. That's a common bug. The Boots of Speed have the effect of a full Haste spell (including 1/2 an attack per round) unless it's corrected.

EDIT: Re-syncing with Archaven's fixed numbers.

[ February 03, 2006, 05:03: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

14. Prine Gems: 11/31

One of the caravan merchants at Trademeet will sell you improved haste after you fix the problems there, if I remember correctly.

Don't know about the oil of speed... just have one of your magic-users cast haste on you.

15. Archaven Gems: 2/31

Hi all. I've just completed Planar Sphere and my main Kensai is now level 13. I guess it's the right time for him to dual to a Mage. At the moment i'm still at Chapter 2. I hope you guys could spare some light to me on the following:

1. Should i side with the Shadow Thieves or Bodhi? I felt that i wanted to side with the thieves, however would against Bodhi a much difficult task? I have not meet Bodhi yet as i know once i met her, i'll have to draw a line between the shadow thieves or bodhi.

2. I've finished most of the quests i could find. Is there a complete list of quests that i could perform before i moved on? Should i proceed to chapter 3 or head to windspear? Which is the best place i should go since i should be severely handicapped when my Kensai dualled onto a Mage. I've finished most of the quest including Umar Hills, Trademeet, De'Arnise Keep, Planar Sphere, etc.

3. How do i start Harper's quest?

Thanks all.

16. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Imp. Haste - there's a blackmarket seller in the Bridge district near Mrs. Cragmoon. If you passed Shank and Carbos, the house is nearby. The guy has this spell and others for sale.

1. Thieves or Bodhi? Just pick whichever you feel comfortable working for. IMO, the thieves are 'good' and Bodhi is 'evil', so if you have a good aligned party, go with the thieves. Either way, keep an eye on your reputation if you have a pally or ranger so they don't become fallen.

2. Depends on how much of a tank your Kensai is. I would dual at 13th level reguardless.

3. First, you need to be 'ambushed' by a poisoned man while traveling around town. I usually get this pretty early. Take the poisoned man to the Harper hq in the docks and you should be on your way to Harper heaven. :lol: You'll have a few running around quests to do for them with Jaheira in the thick of things.

17. Archaven Gems: 2/31

Hi Kuemper. Thanks for replying :)

1. I can't seem to find any seller near Mrs. Cragmoon :(

2. I have not been ambushed by any poisoned man thus far :( . Is there a CLUA console so that i could trigger it to appear?

3. For some NPC specific quests, i understand i need to wait for 'sometime' before their quest kicks in. Is there a CLUA console to trigger it so that i don't have to wait for so long for it to start? I intend to do all NPC quests.

4. With a limited party of 5, most of the time i have to be forced to dump quite a number of +1 and even +2 items that i could sell. And potions are eating up my space :( . Are there any potions container or something? I heard about this bag of holding. Where can i get it?

5. Is there a counter to Time Stop?

18. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

(1) can't help here

(2) ditto. [Oh that dude, I always find him on the way to Nalia's keep which is the first quest I do out of town.]

(3) There are but I don't know what they are.

(4)You can buy scroll cases (Adventure mart) bags of holding (can't remember where but if you are not above cheating CLUAConsole:CreateItem("bag04")for bag of holding ("bag03") for scroll case, sorry can't remember code for pation case.) I think that the potion case may be Throne of Bhaal only.

(5) Kill them before they cast it. If they target one of your NPC's you can cast Freedom (lvl 9 spell) in the area that they were imprisoned in.

[ February 05, 2006, 06:34: Message edited by: Brallrock ]

19. Prine Gems: 11/31

2. This is the encounter you get with the bandits and the wounded guy lying on the ground. The bandits bark something about leaving no witnesses, and when you've dealt with them the injured guy should initiate dialog with you, telling you to take him to the Harper Hold. I've not had a game yet where I didn't get this encounter, if you're having no luck then try traveling to one of the locations outside of Athkatla. I always get the stupid thing when I'm out of town, forcing me to turn back.

3. There would be, yes, but I can't dig them up at the moment. Unless you're sure it's broken, don't screw with it using CLUAConsole. Just wait it out, and/or hit Z a lot to speed it up.

4. You get the bag of holding in Spellhold, in chapter 4. If you think it's bad with five characters then try it with one! Just grab as much stuff as you can carry, sell it to the closest merchant, come back and stock up again. You won't have to worry about it vanishing on you for a while.

5. Most mages capable of casting time stop go to considerable lengths to ensure that you can't kill or disrupt them before they do. Fortunately, most mages who cast time stop also completely waste it on useless rubbish, like symbols or meteor swarm or gate. Use spell immunity: abjuration if your saving throws/health aren't up to par in coping with the symbols. Meteor swarm is easy to avoid, try mirror image or spell immunity: evocation or just run out of the area of effect. Gate usually works to your benefit since the idiotic AI will consider its newly summoned demon a threat, regardless of whether the caster has protection from evil, so it'll start tossing spells at it instead of you.

20. Felinoid

1. A little halfling just north-east of Cragmoon. His name will show as Cutpurse.

2. Where I usually meet a lot of random ambushes is travelling to and from the temple district. If you do the long quest for the Shadow Thieves in the docks district, I guarantee you'll find Rylock somewhere on the way. It's the second random encounter, just after the one where you get Arbane's Sword.

3. Not so much one, as dozens; each and every timer is individual. I try to be as helpful as I can, but this one's a little too much work for such small gain. Just let it go as it will, and I'm sure you'll have done all of the ones for your core NPCs by the end of the game.

4. Potion cases get added at the bottom of some stores in Athkatla if you have ToB, so you'll find them around if you've got the expansion. The Bag of Holding can be found in Spellhold. If you're feeling overwhelmed, you can either CLUA it in as Brallrock said, or hurry to Spellhold; I've never had any trouble with doing Spellhold early.

5. Well, there is an opcode specifically devoted to immunity to Timestop, but it's only used by enemies. The best thing I've found to counter Timestop was by accident, when I passed just at extreme sight range from a spell-caster. One moment I'm whacking on a vamp, next moment everything is frozen and noone's doing anything. About 20 seconds later, I'm whacking on the vamp again. The moral of the story: Trigger the casting and get your a$$ the hell out of there immediately. When the spell expires without them seeing you to cast any more, they've wasted it and you can waste them in return. :evil:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.