1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Strength training/bodybuilding

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Disciple of The Watch, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Another thing to remember: Breathe through the movement. Inhale on the negative, exhale on the positive. I tweaked my neck (of all thing) by holding my breath doing DB bench press. I didn't even realize I was doing it until it was too late.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Not entirely sure, but certainly something to do with trying to weights the way I used to, after a bit of a break. I should have eased back into things a bit more.

I've done something to my left trapezius / lat area which hurts like anything if I twist or move in the wrong direction, but is fine if I don't move that way.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I can't believe I just saw this thread. I've been working out for about 6 years now. I have to agree with what a lot of other people have said. The especially important points are:

More weight less reps. You're much better off doing a weight 10 times, and being exhausted and needing a quick break before your next set, than doing a lower weight 20 times, even if in both cases you are working your muscles to exhaustion.

Proper form is essential. Not only can you hurt yourself (hope you're doing better HB), but if you "cheat" you really aren't getting the benefits. I see some people who have a huge arch in their back when they're bench pressing - and they are just asking for an injury. Now obviously, you need some arch in your back i.e., you should be able to slide a hand under your lower back - but some of these people have parts of their back elevated several inches over the bench.

Also I will say this from personal experience. The most exciting time in lifting weights happens after doing for about 6 months. In the beginning you can't lift much weight, but the gains you start seeing after about 6 months are huge. In fact, that's the biggest gains you'll see at any point in working out. I probably gained more strength in the first year of working out than I have in the five years since then. My weight has consistently gone up, but percentage wise the increases are now much smaller than they used to be. (Although on a personal note I do have to say that just yesterday I completed my first ever set of 245 pound bench press - not bad considering I'm only 5'8" and weigh about 180lbs.)

Not only does your strength increase the greatest at that time, but you'll also see the biggest difference around that time of how you look physically. You'll actually be able to see bigger biceps, pecs, quads, and (if you are lucky) abs. I work abs, but I need to lose about 10 more pounds before anyone would actually be able to see them.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Actually, against my better judgement, I went to the physiotherapist and he worked some miracles. My opinion of the physiotherapy industry has changed from one visit. I am now injury-free again.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.