1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Stupid Thief Question

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Gregor, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Prine Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Doesn't say anything about that in the second edition handbook, just refers to it as a 'knife in the back' and gives no weapon examples. But I could perhaps envision a thief sandbagging somebody with a club moreso than I could them bopping the victim with a big old quarterstaff.

2. Gregor Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

^^^^^^^^ @ Silvershield: Not only have I made it all the way through ToB without backstabbing, but I've made it through many, many times. No, I'm not fond of the thief class in general. I only went through the game once as a thief. I guess I'm not utilizing them to their fullest potential, because I've never really thought of them as anything more than lock-picking, trap-disarming archers. Although I LOVE their HLAs, particularly UAI and Spike Trap. I can't enjoy the game anymore without knocking out Mellisan's whole third attack with 4 or 5 STs. :D

This run-through, I will make a concerted effort to get the most from my thieves.

3. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I don't click the weapon. I just hide. get behind them and attack and it's just never worked well for me. but maybe it's just been my luck period since I haven't used them much.

4. Prine Gems: 11/31

If you score a miss, it still counts as an attack and removes your invisibility. This is a big pain because thieves have bad THAC0, and it's part of what makes fighter/thieves attractive. Thieves also have only one attack per round, so sometimes your hide in shadows can just wear off before you ever get around to actually making your attack.

5. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

That's why Fighter/Thieves do sooOooOo much better than just regular thieves in the way of backstabbing. AND not just because of the thac0 bonus but also because of the specialization of weapons and being able to put 3 stars into two-weapon-fighting. But if you're just playing as a thief and you're wielding a smaller weapon type then you will be able to attack quicker. For example a knife will hit quicker than a long sword, thus allowing the thief to make quicker attacks (not attacks per round but rather how quick during each round). This will reduce the time in which you're 'waiting' for you're ONE attack each round and should lessen the chance of moving out of the shadows while attacking. Pretty sure that's how it goes!

@ Gregor
    If you're unable to figure out on whether or not to take a thief class or not, there's a great guide here on SP somewhere that describes the entire class, kits and all. It also provides an in depth perspective on how to use a rogue during the game, strategies, enemy tips, weapon choices etc

It should really make you appreciate being a thief! :D

6. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Backstab is neat. Coupled with some magery or fighting ability, it is simply DEVASTATING!

The example is a high level F/M/T. Cast mislead to stay invisible. Improved haste yourself. Dualw-wield 2 nice weapons. Have STR enhancing belt. Sneak to the back. Use Critical Hit HLA. Start smashing.

8 attacks/round, all are both critical hits and backstabs. Approx. 200+ damage per hit. Nothing can survive this carnage! Fun! Try that!

7. Fly2tHeSkY

:lol: I do believe you when you say that Silver! But how long will it take a F/M/T to get his HLA's in ToB anyways and would they get many in the first place?

8. Prine Gems: 11/31

Gahh. It takes the same amount of time for multiclasses to get HLAs as pure classes, and they get just as many.

9. Fly2tHeSkY

Thought they only got them at their respective HLA levels so yeah it would take them the same time BUT, because they have to wait for all the experience to get to those levels, wouldn't it take longer ...

10. Prine Gems: 11/31

No. Levels have nothing to do with when you begin to get HLAs. Pure classes begin getting HLAs when they have 3,000,000 XP. Multiclasses also begin getting HLAs when they have 3,000,000 XP. That's *total*.

11. Fly2tHeSkY

OMG are you serious! I always thought it was when the particular class reached respective level. So in the case of a F/T, when the fighter hits level 20 and the thief hits level 24.

12. Prine Gems: 11/31

Nope. A multiclass will get HLAs when they have three million experience between both or all of their classes, so a fighter/mage/thief would only need one million in each class.

13. Fly2tHeSkY

Damn! What was I looking at when I played as my Fighter/Thief!??? So that means that they get the same amount of HLA's huh.

14. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Actually, they get more. Since they start getting them at earlier levels (which is :bs: , BTW) and get one for every level they advance in either class, they keep even with your other party members, and can even surpass them given the right circumstances.

15. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

So it is a little bit unbalanced eh? MCs really overpower DCs in ToB, which is a bummer as in pure SoA DCs were so versatile and strong! DC has lost its charm! :cry:

16. Prine Gems: 11/31

Personally, I hated the 2nd edition dual class system. Way too many limitations, way too little logic (very tenuous reasoning for not letting players use inactive class skills, no good reason for not letting players ever advance in their old class again once dualled). Didn't work particularly well with BG2, either, since the game marched on at the same pace regardless of whether you were a 13th level fighter or a 1st level mage. At least a DM might have made some allowances.

17. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

If nothing else a Good DM would have let you take on the piddly small time low level party jobs at the local tavern or some such compared to the high level ones to build up your XP with challenges that you could actually take on.

18. Prine Gems: 11/31

Yeah, or let a newly dual-classed character in on a lower level campaign or something. It really disrupts the flow of the game when you do it in BG2, though.

19. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

But the newly dual-classed PC will still have major HP.

Imagine a cleric dualled at level 14. He has 90+HP, and he joins a level 1 campaign as he is now a level 1, say, mage.

Wouldn'T it be odd, to have a 90 HP character with 4-8 HP characters? I think yes.

20. Prine Gems: 11/31

I didn't mean a level 1 campaign, just lower than level 13.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.