1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Swine flu

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Atmer, Apr 28, 2009.

1. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

A couple of things:

Aldeth's point about the unfortunate Mexican toddler is well taken -- I would say that the media didn't mention that part because it makes for a better sound bite. It is still a horrid tragedy, especially for the family of that toddler.

Next, I get where Ragusa is coming from mocking the Israeli minister, but a friend mentioned something to me that I thought I'd pass along.

What if the flu were named something like "Spic Flu"? We'd be really, really uncomfortable with a name like that. We'd probably want to refer to it as something less offensive to our ears. I see no evidence in that article that the Minister in question or his Ministry is neglecting important medical precautions, or acting as if renaming it "solves the problem" as Ragusa said. Perhaps it is, but the fact that the minister wants to alter how they refer to the disease so as to avoid repeatedly saying something that to their culture is rather in bad taste does not automatically make him an incompetant douchebag.

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I just saw a report that Egypt has ordered the mass-slaughter of all the pigs in their country. It's something like 300,000 pigs. The ignorance is astounding. Not only are their no reported cases of the swine flu in Egypt, but the transmission here is person-to-person, not pig-to-person. I'm baffled by this.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Unfortunately, there are far more ignorant and backward things going on in Egypt than just blaming the pigs for the flu...

4. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Egyptian politicians aren't terribly well known for their measured, rational, and fact-based approach to governance....

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hey, HEY, HEY!

Let my people go ... or let my piggies go ... something like that.

6. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I wish the media would give this a rest, "2 new cases in the UK". I wonder how many people catch an already existing strain of influenza every day.

7. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

They're killing ALL of the pigs? That is disgusting and horrible! 300,000+ pigs for preventative measures against a disease that hasn't reached Egypt and is transmitted between people?! That is horrendous.

8. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    The 'swine flu' is just water on the mill on the religious nutters down there, Jewish or Muslim. There's the 'swine flu'? Of course they carry diseases - after all they're unclean, as the books say. It is only confirmation that those unclean beats are bad and shouldn't exist. Exterminate all swine - no more 'swine flu'. That's logical. A pity nobody down there will eat all the pork. Which is only for the better, after all swine are unclean. Swine, blame yourself for having meat that turns bad quickly in Middle Eastern climate, and which necessitated religious laws to prevent people from getting harmed by rotten meat.

I think that's a good start. Then there is 'avian flu'. That one's easy too, in order to get rid of that, kill all avians. Some haemorrhagic fevers are endemic in rodents like mice and rats - kill'em all! Now then, there are humans who have the 'swine flu' ... Let me think of a logical solution to that problem ...

Maybe it's the climate and intense sunshine down there that breeds all that outlandish kookery? Geez.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    And not just if you are a pig (I think it sucks worst for them). There are many people in the more rural areas of Egypt who rely on livestock (including pigs) as their main source of income. They were interviewing one guy who was a pig breeder, and said about half of his family's annual income came from selling the pigs they raised at a price of about $45 each. (The family's annual income was only a few thousand dollars.)

Anyway, while this has been decreed by the government, it will take a really long time to get to all these pigs. In the more rural areas of Egypt, it is likely that most people don't even yet know that it has been ordered. Truly remote people will continue right on raising pigs anyway, as the possibility of them ever being caught is remote indeed.

10. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The official name for it is now H1N1 flu.

I think I'll refer to it as "the flu formerly known as Swine"

11. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    The carnage is also unneccessary, as the Egyptians could have found out by checking the WHO's web site.
    To protect pigs from zealous overreactions as in Egypt, the WHO will not refer to the swine flu by that name any longer. At least they're not renaming it.
    Maybe that was what the Israeli health minister was up to when he renamed the 'swine flu' into 'Mexican flu'. He wanted to prevent angry Haredi mobs roaming Israel stoning swine, or rather not. Better not tell them this flu has anything to do with swine. No, better not mention swine at all. Better for the economy, the country and the Haredim. And who knows, maybe Haredi doctors would have refused to treat patients, because, you never know, with a disease with an unclean name the patients themselves might be unclean too - yuck- hands off. Just a guess.

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I just read that as of April 30, 2009, over 13,000 Americans have died this year of the regular vanilla flu that circulates every year. That means we're averaging a little more than 100 deaths per day due to regular flu. As of April 30, 2009, exactly ONE person in the US (who wasn't even a citizen of the US, but was actually a Mexican) has died of the swine flu. I'm having a hard time getting riled up about this disease, although I still feel bad about the Egyptian piggies.

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  13. Drew

Media:
    I don't know Aldeth. According the the FCC, we've had a grand total of 331 reported H1N1 cases. Sure sounds like an epidemic to me.....

14. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I'd rather be too careful, paranoid, and be mistaken about it than be laid back, relaxed, and slapping myself later and saying "gee, I wish I'd been a little more careful -- if I had those tens of thousands of dead people would still be alive."

I know people are too worked up about this just like they were about SARS and like they still are about West Nile virus, but better safe than sorry is my motto.

15. Drew

Media:
    Better safe than sorry is a great motto, as long as it isn't carried to absurd extremes like, say, closing our borders. The H1N1 flu was brought to the US by a group of New York Catholic School Girls that vacationed in Cancun, so beating the illegal immigration drum is stupid at best and dishonest and cynical at worst.

In the last week, the US has had one death to the H1N1 Flu....and the person that died wasn't even American. Extrapolating from our yearly death toll due to the regular flu, the regular flu would have killed 700 Americans in that same week. I'm not arguing that we need not do anything...just that panicking about a pandemic that has only taken a total of 22 lives worldwide is more than a little silly.

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  16. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It seems T3V2 tested positive for the flu -- he's doing great and only is a bit grumpy with a slight fever. But I'll tell you I nearly had heart failure when the doctor walked in after the influenza test, sat on the far side of the room, and started talking about options.

Now everyone in the house is on Tamiflu.

17. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Would you have had near heart failure if your son had gotten the "regular" flu?

18. T2Bruno

Media:
    Actually, there is no easy test to tell which variation he has -- it's just most likely to be H1N1 because most of the other strains passed through months ago. Even though I believe I'm fairly even headed about these things, it's still difficult to shut out all the poor and alarming journalism which has accompanied this whole strain.

It takes a second for reason to kick in at times (at least it does with me at times -- sometimes it never kicks in).

19. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I wasn't trying to imply anything by the question; I was just curious whether you were concerned specifically about the swine flu or just the fact your son had come down with flu.

20. T2Bruno

Media:
    I think anytime a child under a year old gets the flu it certainly is cause for concern. But the hype of swine flu added to the concern initially.

The little guy had very mild symptoms and so I really haven't been too concerned.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.