1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

System Requirements met but....

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Wizard of Thay, May 9, 2004.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Heh, Trident graphic cards were pretty ubiqutous 15 years ago. I thought the company went out of business ages ago, as I haven't heard of them any more since before 1995. One thing's for certain - even if it is a semi-recent card, it's crap. Your only real choices today are either ATI or Nvidia. Buy a card in the range of $100 and up from either and you'll be set.

2. Wizard of Thay Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Hmmmm....wow....15 years? That's a OLD card. Anyway, once I get money, I'll try to upgrade my crappy card and ram and then try NVN again. Thanks to you guys all for helping me out. This sucks.... :(

PS: To add icing to the cake, it's PCI. Does this mean I have to buy a whole new computer or something? :mad: :( :mad:

3. DrowLicious Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Unfortunately, yeah, sounds like it's time to do a whole system upgrade. :(

4. Wizard of Thay Gems: 2/31

:wail: Damn this Neverwinter Nights and it's overwhelming graphics and whoever invented something called PCI! :wail: This thread has made me very depressed and unfortunatly I will not be able to experience Neverwinter Nights probably until I get a job (Which will probably be soon; but still, $2500-$3000 is a large sum of money.). Hmm...I guess my Irish blood isn't giving me any luck with computers. :) :rolleyes: Oh well...good day.

5. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

My old computer - 800Mhz processor, 256MB of RAM and 32MB graphics card - ran both NWN and SOU reasonably smoothly, provided I kept the resolution at the lowest and didn't mess around with anti-aliasing or anything like that. I could even crank the resolution up a little (to a 1024) if I wanted but the framerate suffered as a result. My graphics card worked in a PCI slot so they're not totally hopeless for graphics cards, although you'll be hard pressed to find better than a 32MB card unless you've got bottomless pockets.

6. DrowLicious Gems: 6/31

$2500-3000??-What are you trying to buy? An Alienware? I say go out an find a comp with a P4 at 2+ghz, 512mb and if you want some serious juice an ATI Radeon 9600xt (retail-$200) graphics card. All that should run under $2000 easily. And that's if you buy everything retail!
    I'm sure you could assemble a great gaming machine for around 1500 bucks with a little buyer-savvy e-shopping. How's your credit? ;)

p.s. Irish, huh? Bless you guys for making Guinness!

7. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Naug, that PC you just posted would run at most $500.

My old PC can run the original NWN+SoU just fine and it's only got a P3 450 w/ 356MB RAM and a TNT2. You might be able to do something if you turn your video settings the whole way down and disable everything (shadows, AA, etc.-although, I was able to do it with everything at max just fine). Your RAM is definitely an issue.

8. Wizard of Thay Gems: 2/31

Hah! Not an AlienWare (although that would be sweet!). That wasn't an affirmative estimate, I just went to a "build you own" computer sites to just see what kind of figure I'm looking at. If I cut down on some spots, I could get it around $2000, but I think there's a guy right here in my town for cheaper than the internet.

PS: I sort of lied. I have Irish blood, but I'm not Irish. I'm Floridian. :(

PSS: Why are AlienWare's so damn expensive? Is it just for the name? Like Harley-Davidson (wierd analogy, I know.)?

9. Largon Thunderhorn Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

My Dell Refurbished system came with a P4 2.8, 128 MB video card, 512 MB RAM all for only $700.

10. DrowLicious Gems: 6/31

True about the price(wholesale/net). But i mean retail- over the counter-prices. You cant order a Dell or Gateway with a 2.5+P4 512MB, Good GFX card for under $500. C'mon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No, I mean if you can, cool. I'm not starting 'price wars' here. :p

Aleinware's are overrated. Sorry. My friend/fellow-worker bought an Alienware Laptop, i mean this thing was smokin'....512 P4, Wireless everything, dvd,cd etc....It was bright green and about the size of small suitcase. It definately looked the part of a $2500+ computer. About 2 months into owning this thing he sold it over the net for a little over two and is building a superior desktop on his own. I razzed him for it for like a week 'cause it took him forever to build it custom with the Alienware staff over the phone. And that's all I heard about'till he got it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.