1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Taliban

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by kevlar0101, Sep 14, 2001.

1. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Er... yes. Undoubtedly these are his true motives. Now we await the entrance of James Bond to defeat his vile plot. :rolleyes:

2. Llandon Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

A few simple facts and observations.

The Talabin do NOT represent the entire country of Afganistan. The UN, not just the US, does not recognise the Taliban as the official government of the country. They are basicially a militia. Only 3 countries in the world recgonise the Taliban, and their biggest supporter, Pakistan, had agreed to help the US (and yes people, the US government and the Pakistani government have been very friendly for decades.)

Lets all remember that aid workers had been leaving Afganistan in droves well before Sept. 11th. This is due to constant harassment by the Talibin authority, and the numerous human rights violations occuring there.

I wouldn't worry too much about the US bombing and killing thousands of civilians. First off Afganistan is not like any country that ANY of the people on the boards can even imagine. There is not one television station in the entire country. There is no free press, and not much of a literacy rate even if there was one. There are no military bases or military industry, or any industry for that matter, to bomb.

Afgainstan has been in a constant state of Civil War since 1979.

There will undoubtably be some civilian deaths, but not on the magnitude that some of the people on this board seem to fear. Nukes? Are you kidding me?

Civilian/Population Center bombing is not even an option. The major cities in Afganistan are already in ruin. The US has had a policy to limit civilian casualties in the event of military action for almost 3 decades now. Since the indescriminite killings would only hurt the US position I doubt that you will see many civilian casualties.

3. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Today I heared on the news that the terrorists who survived (and possibly organized) the atrocities in New York and Washington had a sense for business. They bought shares to speculate with and to get some profit from the unavoidable stock exchange shock after their deed.

I bet they bought Lockheed-Martin shares: With every cruise missile the US fire on Afganistan they will earn 1000 $ :evil: Of course, only to finance their eternal struggle for Allah :rolleyes: Gosh, am I happy this good old world is still as it ever was :evil:

4. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Actually, we've had rather sour relations with Pakistan ever since they became a nuclear country. This alliance is precarious at best, as a lot of Pakistan's citizens support the Taliban and Taliban forces fight in Pakistan struggle with India over Kashmir. Nonetheless, their government knows that they must ally with anti-terrorism forces.

Sir Daragorn, I'm beginning to doubt that you're anything more than a 14-yr-old kid trying to start fights. Clearly your postings are juvenile, you completely fail to ask questions asked of you or back up your own points, and you only seem to post illogical rants. Have a nice day, junior.

5. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Actually i am 16 you pathetic oldy.
    And i am not illogical i am frightened there is a difference. I am frightened not for my life but for the human race and what it has become.
    So pipe down because although i might not show i have an extremley high IQ and if you can't see that what i am saying is what a very worried teenager would say and you cannot accept that without being a piece of shit about it then yu are much less intelligent than i!
    :hippy:

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] All right people, that's enough with the barbs at each other. We should be able to discuss these matters and disagree with a minimum of insults.

7. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] shralp, whats the "we" for?
    are YOU america? :p :D

your government is a coward, face it :flaming: anyways, shove it :flaming:
    but the ppl are great :hippy:

[This message has been edited by kevlar0101 (edited September 19, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by kevlar0101 (edited September 19, 2001).]

8. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I am getting tired of that hippi face. ppl use it after they have flamed someone or someting. Just to add up one good thing against one bad?

Kevlar its hard to get any debate when you never want to state any arguments to your posts. Is this deliberate?

Just curious about both things.

Now what was this thread about????
    I see so far:
    a) the Taliban is herrashing Afghanistans
    b) The Taliban has declared war on the Western world
    c) some ppl think US will nuke Afghanistan
    d) some ppl think the US will make ground invasion

My answers to them are as follows:
    A) I have seen pictures brought by Arkados in another thread showing how most afghans live. Both women and children are starving. I have read the letter from Eveningdrive's friend, who tells of similar experiences. So I must AGREE

B) This is in the link provided by Tal. I AGREE So noone should ever again claim that Taliban is a peacefull solitaire fraction who are considered harmless. This is based on A and B

c) I haven't seen no evidence at all for this claim. Other than. US are Stupid US are coward and US were Evil last century so they are also evil now. It is needless to say that this is hardly evidence of anything happening this century.

d)It seems to me as US is ready to make a ground invasion against Taliban. I don't think that the other fractions in Afghanistan is unhappy about this. Based on A and B. I still think it is impossible for US to stop Terrorism with conventional warfare. So CIA is working on unconventional warfare. Check CIA's homepage and read papers or watch TV to those who wants to know the truth of this. US can't accomplish this alone. Terrorist are everywhere, even in its own country. Even in Belgium Kevlar. If terrorism should end this century we must all stand together. US cant do it alone. But Killing Bin Laden is just as good first step as any and the road is long.

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited September 20, 2001).]

9. kevlar0101 Gems: 13/31

i dont state more answers cause i aint gonna type 50 lines

10. Shralp Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Well, then it doesn't really make much sense to post at all, does it?

Today the Afghan clerics have recommended that bin Laden leave for the good of the country. Smart move, but it looks like a stall tactic. They'll say "we told him to leave, but he didn't." Then they'll claim he left but be unable to prove it, etc.

The U.S. did something similar with the Shah of Iran.

The Northern Alliance (the UN recognized government of Afghanistan) is ready to attack. They're waiting to coordinate with the U.S. Now we have locals who know the terrain and the language. This might end up being less dire than expected.

11. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Ahhh..Kevlar. Again you remind me that single brain celled annoying f***s exist in this world.

Don't say anything if you don't have a good argument or your views are too choked with self righteous 'Americans are decadent fools' views.

This is to all bashers of America: a big up yours!! They may be past their prime but until you can name one civilisation that can match theirs, keep your neanderthal rantings firmly shoved up your rectum.

**EDIT**
    Shura, watch your language, and the flames. This topic is sensitive enough.

[This message has been edited by Darien Noella (edited September 20, 2001).]

12. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

Joke or not. That was way out of line. Use some common sense. To mock Kevlar with his own language is not gaining anything.

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited September 20, 2001).]

13. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31

Actually when Europe joins together it will be fur times more powerful than the US but that is only in the near future.

14. Shralp Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Oh, that's a laugh.

We've already had to bail out the Euro how many times? And it's not even in hard currency yet.

Yeah, we're worried.

And you're British, so what the heck are you bragging about? You pups haven't even joined up fully yet.

15. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] Do you Box Dargorn? That is another way to get your agression out.

Bin Laden loves this. Let the western world fight amongst themselves. :rolleyes:

This Thread is about Taliban. not How strong Europe is against US. It puzzles me why it should at all be done.

16. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31

Nobleman i am sorry i was just winding up Shralp. Really i am fine now and just a little extra i am the most anti joining europe you will meet. No offence Nobleman about you living there and stuff but you just wouldn't understand unless you were British.

17. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Eh. In my last post, I was making gentle fun at sorvo for suggesting that bin Laden was out to control the world. It turns out that he wasn't that far off the mark.

Note: I don't have a link yet, I'm working off of memory from yesterday's broadcast. I'll edit in the link later.

According to a Middle Eastern scholar I heard on NPR yesterday, the terrorists involved in the WTC bombing were not typical terrorists. They were well-educated, into their twenties and thirties, and some of them were even family men. Many of them had been educated in Afghanistan by religious institutions. They didn't learn mathematics, world history, or other typical topics. Instead they learned the Koran and were indoctrinated into the extreme principles of the Taliban leadership. They actually believe that America has been out to destroy them simply because they are Islamic; hence they feel justified in what seems to them a preemptive strike on us. Their goal is to destroy the US and, incidentally, implement Islamic rule over the entire world.

What the heck?? I thought this stuff belonged in the movies. It amazes me that people can have that sort of blind zeal.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.