1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Taste in Music?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Errol, Jun 25, 2002.

1. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

i pretty much cover anything except metal and techno. i can tolerate classicals to soft piano/guitar, celtic to new age jazz, country to blues, lite jazz to pop jazz, pop to r&b, some rap music, rock&roll to new age, ballads and pop, i even have soundtracks (the instrumental type), and yeah, i can sometimes tolerate boys band.

but my favourite band/artist for the past 20 years is "dire strait", i can't get enough of the more than 8 minutes long "tunnel of love" (the best guitar sequence i have ever heard).

[This message has been edited by nior (edited July 03, 2002).]

2. eveningdrive Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I feel real old. :wail:

Music from the 70's and 80's, folk rock, ballads and "unpluggeds".

- 5th Dimesion
    - Earth, Wind and Fire
    - Little River Band
    - Huey Lewis and the News
    - Roxette
    - Melissa Etheridge
    - Indigo Girls
    - Julia Fordham
    - Blues Traveller
    - Tuck and Patty
    - I'd mention some more, but I can feel your foreheads scrunch in bewilderment...

... never heard of them, right? :p

:hippy:

3. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Actually, eveningdrive, Julia Fordham is about the only one on that list that I don't know...
    I like all sorts of music, barring rap and most country; heavy metal I can only listen to for about 3 songs, I have hypersensitive hearing.

I tend to prefer folk and celtic, my favorite band is Steeleye Span... I'll be surprised if more than maybe 1 or 2 people hare have heard of them, most just scratch their heads.

[This message has been edited by Stefanina (edited July 03, 2002).]

4. eveningdrive Gems: 8/31

[​IMG] Let me just say Stefanina that you have great taste in music. :)

:wave:

Julia Fordham is a balladeer. Some of her songs are Invisible War, Girlfriend and Love Moves in Mysterious Ways.

5. Ill listen to just about anything. Excluding most Rap, R&B, and Pop, if you can call msot of that music.

Techno, is cool.
    Right now I listen to Hard rock, and most any form of Rock.

Flaw
    KoRn
    SlipknoT
    Papa Roach
    SevenDust
    others...

6. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I listen to just about everything except for teenybop such as Britney Spears and the like.

(Okay, I fess up... I have a soft spot for the backstreet boys because they're the first band I was really into.... but that was a loooooong time ago... :rolleyes: )

Lately, I have been listening to Nightwish, David Bowie, Billy Idol, Linkin Park, Children of Bodom, Eminem, the Beatles, Nirvana, Stratovarius... The list goes on.

Ara
    (Suffering because she is currently listening to the radio and itäs blaring out teenybopper stuff)

7. Mr Writer Gems: 8/31

Give me some Oasis anyday, brit pop (early 90's stuff) and old rock n roll for me

Bands

Oasis
    Sterophonics
    REM
    Travis
    Coldplay
    Beatles
    Stones
    Guns n Roses
    Proud Mary
    Weller
    Black Reble Motercycle club
    And many more which most of you dont have a hope of knowing :p

8. Damona Silvercloud Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Steeleye Span! I've heard of them. I dig Maddy Prior's solo stuff.

9. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

Hmm, well very mixed...

I like:
    Marilyn Manson (Shut up, I think he's great)
    SlipKnoT (Who can hear Corey's vocals, without melting :p)
    Nirvana (goes without saying...)
    System of a Down (love the lyrics)
    Rage against the Machine (see above)
    A (cool sound)
    Limp Bizkit (Love Fred Durst)
    Kashmir (nobody but danes know them)
    Queen (classics)
    Dr. Dre and Xzibit (only hip-hop I like, I despise the rest)

[ July 30, 2002, 23:38: Message edited by: Firestorm ]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2018
  10. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I like just about everything except for rap and hip-hop (as far as I'm concerned, rhythm alone is not music). I don't like R&B much either. I can't say that I have favorite bands, as I like most that produce my opinion of good music.

11. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG]
    Uh like, you probably never heard the entire first album? There is a lot more in that than what you mentioned there. I like that album, but I dislike Slipknot for 3 reasons:

1.There second album sucks!
    2.They just can't do it live, since they have a singer that can't sing!
    3.I simply hate clowns, so I don't wanna see a clown when I listen to Metal.

By the way, Slipknot is no Heavy Metal! It's Nu-Metal or spooky core!

If you want to hear real heavy metal listen to Rhapsody or Man-O-War.

But I must agree, most people who talk about Heavy Metal, mean Metal. and then you are covering al kinds of it.

I love Metal Music, I have a lot of difrent styles in my colection. The problem whit metal this days is that there are a lot of bands that don't add anything to the scene but are just copying from others. Yes I'm talking about: Limb Bizkit, Mushroomhead,SevenDust,Stain
    and bands like that. It are all copy's from: Korn System Of a down and Slipknot.

[This message has been edited by SleepleSS (edited July 14, 2002).]

12. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] Actually, I've never properly listened to Mushroomhead, but they've been going for longer than All those bands you said, apart from KoRn. I've got all KoRn albums, and i think they're great, but I can't stand Nu-Metal; bands such as Slipknot, Linkin Park etc.

Favourite Bands:
    - Most Punk, favourites include The Clash, The Stranglers, and Hawkwind. Anybody heard of them? Smashing Pumpkins and Placebo are awesome. Muse and Motorhead are favourites too.

I recently bought the "Family Values Tour '98" - classic.

Bands I Quite Like:
    - KoRn, System of a Down, Rammstein. These could be classed as Nu-Metal to a certain extent by non-educated retards.

But one thing that I can't stand, apart from Westlife, is descrimination against types of music. There's no need to discriminate people for their taste in it.
    Anyway, keep posting, keep flaming. :p

13. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Well, I like all kinds of music, but here are some in particular.

CAN
    Souvlaki
    Mice Parade
    MOBY
    Queens of the Stoneage (older rather than newer)
    My Bloody Valentine
    Sasha/John Digweed (when driving long distances at speed).
    Sugarplant
    Stereolab
    J.J. Cale
    Dire Straights

All classic rock-have an awesome vinyl collection of every classic rock song that is played repeatedly on CR stations and in taverns. Sorry.

Jazz-Stan Getz and Bill Evans, many others but mostly them lately.

A lot of classical, but my classical days are mostly over.

Rap wise, Juvenile and some others, more by individual songs than artists, whatever I think is good or funny. I like Eminem's latest-very saavy.

Can't think of anything else at the moment...

14. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Mr (mooooo) Writer! you ave seriously good taste in music. in fact exacty the same as me.
    So called rock music nowadays is rubbish and all these heavy metal and 'scream till you swallow the microphone' bands like korn and slipknot are only liked cos teenagers want to rebel. Not cos they actually like the damn idiotic drivel.

Music will never be to the standard it was. There are some geniuses so i will list my favourite bands.

Travis
    Stereophonics
    Coldplay
    Queen
    Dire Straits
    Genisis
    Bryan Adams
    Rod Stewart
    Sting (police)
    Eric Clapton (cream)
    Embrace
    Oasis
    Blur
    Beatles
    But i do have some modern style interests. These people think are the only decent things around:

Britney spears
    Shakira
    Eminem
    Busta rymes
    Puff daddy/pi diddy/poo poppy/po piddly :lol:
    Madonna
    Robbie williams
    Darren Hayes (this guy has the most superb voice)
    And finaly on a lighter note:

Monty python
    Weird Al (This guy is an absolute genius, just listen to the episode one parody on American pie if you don't think so.)
    :1eye:

15. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    WOOHOO! Someone on this board has heard of Steeleye Span. My faith in humanity has been restored. :lol:
    Although, right now, I've been listening to "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" over and over. I do have a weak spot for story songs, I'll admit.

And I agree that Wierd Al is cool. I got to see him live earlier this year. Funny thing is, I bought my mother a ticket and dragged her along with me bceause I thought she might like it. I was right.

16. Morkai Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I immerse my ears in

-Pantera
    -Metallica
    -Ozzy/Black Sabbath
    -Rob/WhiteZombie
    -Judas Priest/Halford
    -Godsmack
    -Megadeth
    uhhhh......thats about all i own.......for now.

17. zaknafein Guest

I would not call slipnot Nu, I would call them a strange groaning noise simillar to the one that comes out of you arse. OK, so I havn't heard that many of their songs but come on, if a guy can't sing then a guy can't sing.
    It seems I've forgotten a couple of bands.
    Grinspoon are pretty good.
    Shihad wait Pacifier have some pretty good guitar sounds going on.
    Nirvana, does it need explaining?
    and Papa Roach.

BTW: Who have Staind copied off?

18. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] One thing really peeing me off, is the state "Rock Music" has put itself in, or should i say been put in. If i say to someone that I happen to like "Rock Music", I am automatically assumed to like bands such as Linkin Park, Slipknot, and all these bands. I really do not!

It's simply because that is all young people today are exposed to, and find that real 'rock' is undermined, because people simply weren't around at the time of their peak, or haven't been exposed/told of them. 'NuMetalKids' as me and my friends call them, are young kids who only like Slipknot (etc) because that's the only 'Rock' music they've ever heard of, and to be honest; those kinda bands was the only 'rock' I heard of when i got into the scene way back at 12/13 years of age.

Later I realised there was more to it than rebelling, and got into more Gothic/Alternative music, so when I look back at young Nu-metal Kids nowadays, I just say to myself that either they find proper music out there after a while, or they go back to liking the mainstream music (currently Drum & Bass/R&B here), when "Rock" isn't 'popular' to like anymore.

Does anyone know what i'm on about
    here and does anyone agree with
    what I've said?

Goph

[Edit- fixed some typos]
    [Edit #2- Yeah, I totally agree with your views LittleJimmy, and KoRn did start the genre IMO, but that's way back when Nu-Metal was decent bands, not the Pop-Who-Call-Themselves-Rock Sh*t we put up with today. And btw: woohoo!! Muse concert in 8 weeks!:D]

[This message has been edited by Gopher (edited July 17, 2002).]

19. LittleJimmy Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] I kind of agree with what you're saying, Gopher. If I tell someone that I'm into Metal, the automatic assumption is that I'm into all the bullshit that's clogging our charts: Staind, Linkin Park, Nickelback (AAARGH!!!) etc. Although it's a shame that 90% of all the 'alternative' music that's in the charts at the moment is complete crap (a few exceptions: Hundred Reasons, Muse, Red Hot Chilli Peppers), it's really only inevitable. After all, if Anaal Nathrakh were to release a single, do you really think that it would get into the charts? Unfortunately, only bands with mainstream appeal have even a remote chance of getting into the charts.

I too cannot stand 'NuMetalKids', or 'Mini-Moshers', simply because they cannot be bothered to look deeper into the music scene for other interesting bands, and are perfectly happy listening to Papa Roach and Linkin Park all day. Plus, they are walking contradictions: They say that they are opposed to anything mainstream, yet they're the ones that are going out and buying this bullshit that is 'modern Rock Music' that clogs up our charts. Oh yeah, and they go to gigs and annoy the f*ck out of people by trying to act 'cool'. Unfortunately, I think that 'Mini-Moshers' may well be here to stay for quite a long time...

P.S. Although you're totally right about Rammstein and System Of A Down not being Nu-Metal, I would say that KoRn are, simply because they (unwittingly) helped start the entire genre (I think that they were first classed as 'Emo-Metal', and then that turned into 'Nu-Metal').

20. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Nickleback are classed as metal? yeah right!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.