1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The best book you have Never read.

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Kovalis Darkfire, Aug 6, 2003.

1. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I was tempted to say War and Peace, I have a copy and started reading it once but after fifty or so pages I got really bored and went on to something else.

I can only imagine that it gets better once the actual story starts but page after page of briefly introducing a seemingly endless list of characters really turned me off.

2. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

It's not for nothing that about ten times more people have War and Peace on the bookshelf than have actually read it. ;)

Personally - There are a number of classics that I feel I should have read but haven't. To single out one is tough, so I'm working my way through the BBC's big read list. I've probably read about a third of the books on there already, and I'm probably not going to read the kids stuff that I haven't read already, so about 30-40 books on there I suppose.

If you haven't already looked at the Big Read top 100 books you'll get plenty inspiration for books to read.

3. Kralizek Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Charles Darwin's "On the origin of the species by means of natural selection". An eye-opener at the time, but Darwin was surely a better scientist than a writer.

4. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    This present darkness. Peretti
    Piercing the darkness. Peretti.

The Visit - Adrian Plass

Lessons of the disciple: A Compilation of Sermons - Mathetais

And perhaps I will read something of C.S.Lewis.
    If I ever read... :rolleyes:

5. Yerril Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

The Silmarillion. I try. I do try. So hard. :(

6. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

War and Peace - it's just so damned big! :bang:

7. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

It seems that I am the only one here, who has read War and Peace :D . As for the best book I have never read, this is Baudolino by Umberto Eco.

8. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Hitchikers guide to the galaxy, never managed to get my hands on this and i feel very sorry for this. But i hope i will make up sometime

9. Gaidin-_- Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

dude....do you want your computer to commit suicide?

read the book before its too late....

10. DarkGoddess Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I have to say that the best book I've never read would be Les Miserables by Victor Hugo, but dear God in Heaven, who has time to read over 1,000 pages of Jean ValJean?

11. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Also, I must end up getting Dracula.

12. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Dave Pelzer's "trilogy" from A Child called It to A Man Named Dave. I saw him discussing it on TV once about 2 years ago and decided I had to track it down. IMHO The Iliad and The Odyssey were hard to get my head around at first but after a bit of perseverence I loved them both.

13. Silverwolf86 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Hmmmmm.... well I think it mostly comes down to Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. I've been meaning to read it for 2 years now and I've never once gotten around to it. But I'm much more into fantasy than sci-fi so it keeps getting superceded. Other than that I keep trying to finish LOTR but I get bored by the middle of the 3rd book, I'm hoping that once I get older I'll have an even longer attention span or something. I suppose if I forced myself I could read it though, else I'd never have gotten through Catcher in the Rye.

On a side note, I liked To Kill a Mockingbird even though I was certain I'd detest it but I loathed Catcher in the Rye... that was a god-awful book IMHO.

14. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I'd say "the hobbit" but I'm about to start reading it tonight, so the Silmarilion (sp?). I did start it, but that whole "The universe is made from music" idea at the beginning really confused me and never really got past it...

15. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    If you accept what "they" say (as far as how good a book is) I'd go with James Joyce's Ulysses. Can't stand Joyce and, as I'm long past any school and ancillary reading lists, I can firmly say that I am never going to read it.

As far as books that I hear are good from reliable sources that I just haven't gotten to: probably Bonfire of the Vanities.

16. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

"Romance of the Three Kingdoms" by Lo Kuan-Chung (Luo Guanzhong).

17. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

There's a lot, but for fantasy, I'd say Donaldson's 6 Thomas Covenant series.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.