1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The BoM item pack (It's out!)

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by olimikrig, Sep 22, 2005.

1. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

It's what Oli pays me for!

Wait a minute... I don't get paid! :grr:

2. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Nope, but on the other hand you get your e-mail on a document there's available for everyone wordlwide! Now people can spam your inbox in Hebrew!

Okay, a last change has been made, and a link to the beta should be here either tonight, or tomorrow. If everything goes well that is.

3. The Magpie

It's just what I always wanted! How did you know? :bigeyes: :p

4. Pseudospawn Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

is it too late to suggest items?

5. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    After years of waiting, there is light at the end of the... Oh what the heck:

The beta is now out! Yes, you read correct, it is out and ready for you to test. *errr* I mean enjoy, yes that was it :shake:

It can be found here(1.31MB).

Desciption

The Boards of Magick item pack is for and by SP users (and of course the entire BG2 community around the world!). What The BoM item pack introduces is two new unique characters, the Imp Bion and the Merchant Taluntain. Furthermore it re-introduces the end-game area from the first Baldur's Gate game, this is where Tal is located; Bion the Imp will teleport you there when needed be. The original idea behind this pack is to not only give then regular BoM users the honour they're due by immortalizing them in this great game (well, more or less anyways), but also to offer a pack of somewhat overlooked items in BG the chance to truly shine, though we strive toward making the items as balanced as we can. As it is now, Taluntain will only be reachable in the SoA part of the game.

NOTE: It is imperative that you have Throne of Bhaal installed! Throne of Bhaal holds some animations needed for this mod to run. You should also have applied the latest official patch.

Instructions
    • Download the .rar file to any destination you wish
    • Open the .rar file
    • double click on Setup-BoM.exe and follow the instructions from there on.
    Remember to have a look at the Readmebom.txt (which will be to find in the folder you have installed the mod in) if you have any questions you wish to send. Make sure you send your question/addition to the right person ;)

And remember that's its not about winning, but about being the most powerful... I mean it's about having fun, yes that's it...

On a side-note
    If we have forgotten to give you credit in the "credits" section, we appologize for this, and ensure you that it wasn't intentional, and bits you to contact either me, Olimikrig, or The Magpie, and we'll make sure this mistake is corrected asap!

[ October 14, 2005, 02:33: Message edited by: olimikrig ]

6. Pseudospawn Gems: 8/31

Veteran

i'll take that as a yes :p

7. olimikrig

Media:
    No! This is the beta, sorry, didn't read your post prior to posting this myself!
    You can keep suggesting items till the final version is out. This is a beta, and ment for testing what's already in the mod. We still need to add a handful of items (i.e. somewhere around 50 ;) )
    so please do send any suggestion you got in! And if you haven't done so, do read my introducing post (the first one) to learn more about what we seek in items :thumb:

8. The Magpie

[​IMG] The item pack beta is out! Yay! I should really be writing descriptions for the rest of the items, but I'll just add:

IT'S OUT!!!
    :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

9. Pseudospawn Gems: 8/31

Veteran

...downloading and trying now.

EDIT: Nice but it feels like its missing something

[ October 12, 2005, 18:35: Message edited by: Pseudospawn ]

10. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Wheeeeeeeeee, its OUT.

Yes, keep em coming. I'm making them as they come in. If they are possible. When the beta is accepted as working properly, an there is nothing I can find that is wrong, then they will be added later on.

11. Pseudospawn Gems: 8/31

Veteran

Is it possible to have a 'when struck' modifier i.e. when struck light healing cast on wearer or when struck reduces atackers Thac0 -1

This would open wide possiblilties for armour/jewelry rather than just increasing stats and immunities.

12. olimikrig

Media:
    Yes it is... You just make a spell that does something, then you set the item to cast that spell on a certain condition. If the condition is set to "on hit", then the spell specified by the recourse key will be thrown at either a) oneself, b) Last attacker, c) nearest enemy or d) nearest creature.

Just specify what you want the item to do, give an description, and I'll consider with the others, whether it meets the requirements.

13. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Are my two halberds in? I doubt second is... I haven't done the voices... yet.

Oh well... I got to get a mic soon!

14. olimikrig

Media:
    your first halberd is in...

15. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Ok a few questions before I whip out a sweet Blade of Saber or somesuch:

I've never understood what THACO0 means... could someone explain it in terms I can understand?

And for speed factor, how fast do you hit with each speed? Is 1 the fastest, and how many attacks per round do you get, etc?

16. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

THAC0 is To Hit Armor Class Zero. If I've figured it, it's what you need to roll in order to hit someone with and AC of zero. The lower the number, the better. Of course, this is my theory and seems to make sense to me. ;) Someone with a THAC0 of 12 would need to roll at least a 12 to hit someone with an AC of zero. Remember, a 1 is always a miss and a 20 is always a hit.

Speed factor is how fast you can swing a weapon (I think). A low speed factor is very good. Kuldane, a short sword iirc has a speed factor of zero.

Attacks per round should be listed on the character record screen - where you see their stats, XP, saves, etc.

17. olimikrig

Media:
    Thac0(zero)

Means

To Hit Armour Class 0 (zero)

CHances to hit an enemy with an Armour class of 0, rolling with a 20 sited dice.

Say, you Thac0 is 17, on a roll you will need a number of 17 or higher to hit an enemy with an AC of 0.

Strength bonus' add's to your thac0 modifier..

Naturally, the lower a Thac0, the better.

EDIT: :doh: I'm always too slow, it's not fair :cry:

Okay, then let's look some on weapon speed in 2e instead:

First, weapon speed is irrelevant to attacks per round, it simply determines who strikes first (weapon speed affects initiative).

The initiative rolls are not shown in bg2, and cannot be shown despite your feedback lvl, but it is the orders of actions in a round.

The initiative roll is a D10, and is calculated like this:
    initiative= D10 - dex bonus + weapon speed (+/- external modifiers- i.e. spells as haste and slow modifies weapon speed, so does grease iirc).

The attacks per round is how many attacks you can make in one round, and is, as I stated earlier, not affected by the wepon speed.
    A '/' slash simply means that you need to divide the first number with the second. So, 5/2 attacks per round would give you 2.5 attacks per round.

[ October 12, 2005, 04:07: Message edited by: olimikrig ]

18. Saber

Ok, but what are some relative numbers, such as: is a THACO0 of 10 insanely good, or is it average? And how many attacks per round is poor, fair, good, and great? (so i don't overpower the weapon)

Also, what happens if your enemy's AC is below zero? Do you just add the difference onto your THACO0? (as in, your THACO0 is 12, their AC is -2, thus your THACO0 is now 14?)

19. olimikrig

Media:
    Okay, lets first have a look a general Thac0 progression.

Code:
                    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10  11  12  13  14  15  16
                    --------------------------------------------------------------
          Fighter   20  19  18  17  16  15  14  13  12  11  10   9   8   7   6   5
          Mage      20  20  20  19  19  19  18  18  18  17  17  17  16  16  16  15
          Cleric    20  20  20  18  18  18  16  16  16  14  14  14  12  12  12  10
          Thief     20  20  19  19  18  18  17  17  16  16  15  15  14  14  13  13
    However, items effects the thac0 of a creature, and so does str. bonuses

Code:
            Str     Thac0 mod.        Str      Thac0 mod.
             3         -3             17         +1
             4         -2             18         +1
             5         -2          18/01-50      +1
             6         -1          18/51-75      +2
             7         -1          18/76-90      +2
             8          0          18/91-99      +2
             9          0            18/00       +3
            10          0             19         +3
            11          0             20         +3
            12          0             21         +4
            13          0             22         +4
            14          0             23         +5
            15          0             24         +6
            16          0             25         +7
    Note that the pluses are really minuses when it comes to Thac0.

Moreover proficiency adds as a Thac0 modifier:
    Code:
                  Proficiency    Points used    +/- to Hit  

Non-Proficient               0            -2 (Fighter)
                                                    -5 (Fighter)
                                                    -3 (Cleric and Thief's)
          Proficient                   1             0 
          Specialized                  2            +1
          Master                       3            +3
          High Master                  4            +3
          Grand Master                 5            +3
    When the enemies AC is minus something, then it will be added instead of withdrawn from you Thac0 calculation.

Basic Thac0 calculation:
    Thac0-Enemy's Ac = number
    -So if attacking a creature with an AC of 4, and you have a thac0 of 5, then your will could look like this:

you roll D20 = 15
    you need: 5-4 = 1 to hit
    So you hit.

-Now, let's look at one with a Thac0 of 5, attacking an enemy with an AC of -10

You roll D20 = 13
    you need: 5+10 =15
    So you miss.

So you see it now? If the enemy had an AC of zero, you would simply need to roll 5 or above, to hit the enemy!

20. Saber

Ah, much thanks to you. I will now begin working on Saber's dual weilding katanas, which, if you ever read my stories (both short and novelic), which will soon be available on a website (novel is not finished yet...), you might understand. Or perhaps not. In any case, thank you.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.