1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The D2 - LoD BoM group. Guardians or bust.

Discussion in 'Diablo 1 & 2' started by Viking, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Okay I'll do blizz sorc if thats okay? I think our best bet would be just to put in a solid block every Saturday and perhaps the occasional Sunday, otherwise if we play week nights some member will inevitably be up very late and for others an evening slot midweek could clash with work or social events. I'm in GMT so right now its 18.05, I can do anytime on Saturday or Sunday and 18.00-24.00 weeknights.

2. Mongerman Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

My final papers are today and tomorrow, and I have one heck of a long holiday after that. I used to play Guildwars with the europe version, where the timezone had about several hrs difference, so I'm used to late nights or whatever. No problem there.

As for clashing with a cold sorc, summoners dont really need that many corpses once their initial army is raised. Skellies are very tough, and the few that fall can easily be replaced by corpses that dont shatter.

(its 1246 where I am now.)

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    OK, Mongerman is 7 hours ahead of SP time, meaning he and I are at the furthest apart at 13 hours difference.

I would then propose we try for a two hour stretch or so, once per week. If we decide on a day, I can certainly get home from work a little early, so we can start at 23:00 SP time. That will make it 22:00 UK time, 17:00 East Coast U.S. Time, but 06:00 the following morning in Singapore. I don't know if that's acceptable to Mongerman. I know I don't get up at 06:00 unless it's to go to work.

Also, I would recommend that Viking play a more melee oriented build. Perhaps the conviction medic paladin. Right now it looks like we'll have a party of 4:

Aldeth: Barbarian (concentrate)
    Mongerman: Necromancer (summoner)
    Duffin: Sorceress (blizzard)

It seems that party balance would indicate another tank. The paladin sounds great, or you could try out a druid. Honestly, IMO, life should not be a problem with maxed BO, but that doesn't get to be a high level until Act 5 Normal. Oak sage is available considerably earlier.

As far as what I would recommend in terms of mercenaries:

Duffin - with a cold sorceress and (potentially) a conviction paladin running around, it seems like that holy freeze merc is your best bet.

Mongerman - tons of skellies running around? I'd go for thorns.

Me - if I'm truly going to be the life and defense provider, I'll take a defiance merc.

Viking - regardless of what class you end up deciding on, the only remaining merc that will be very useful is the might merc.

EDIT: Also, I'm always interested in seeing how people make their builds. I know basically how to make a blizzard sorceress (although I'm not sure the order you max stuff out), but I have no idea how you expend your skill points when making a DV/Summoner necro.

4. Mongerman Gems: 8/31

Any time is fine with me. Like I said, I have totally nothing on from tomorrow till January. And I used to play GW till 5am.

A summoner/dv necro would have

20 RS
    20 SM
    20 DV
    1 point in clay golem.

Rest in reqs and and CE. Max out RS and SM first. DV comes into play only in later nightmare and hell.

5. Duffin Gems: 13/31

Yeh that times fine with me any day of the week, although I'm usually out Friday nights. My preffered day would be a Saturday what about you guys? Blizzard sorc should be pretty simple the only real question is whether to max cold mastery or blizzard first.

It'd be nice to have a few more party members, as experience increases with party size and if we have a max time difference of 13 hours, it shouldn't be a problem fitting extra players in.

6. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

My best nights would really be Wed or Thu.

I can't do Mon / Tue, and weekend evenings are tough to promise away (wife and social calendar, you know).

The Conviction Medic will not be a great frontliner, as the build I had in mind wasn't based on too much holy shield. We also have a lot of meat shields to take the brunt of the damage frontline wise, so I was thinking more towards some sort of Undead slayer attack - FoH / Holy bolt (More healing, baby).

A couple of things on the merc front:

1) The skellies demand a might merc without a doubt.

2) We need an Insight stick for mana regen, and it sits fantastically well on a prayer merc. Get's wonderful bonuses. More life regen than you can shake a stick at.

3) Defiance merc is a nice add.

4) Holy freeze is always good for safety, though we're now looking at a lot of shattered corpses for the CE.

I'll give my basic build for the medic some more thought, then post here.

The std for a skellimancer would be 3rs/1sm until rs maxed at least. Take key curses as they become available (amp and decrep in particular). DV comes into it's own later. You've got to love the ability to shut down the whole screen in one hit.

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    You really think a prayer merc is going to be more useful than a thorns merc? I know skeletons get tough at high levels, but they do get hit. A high level thorns returns something like 1000% damage to the attacker. You do bring up a good point with the holy freeze paladin, as his aura will affect everyone too, meaning a ton of stuff is going to shatter upon death. So I'm more inclined to sub out the holy freeze pally for the prayer pally.

8. Duffin Gems: 13/31

Yeh I agree. So the party looks like the following:

- Aldeth, Barbarian (Concentration with Defiance Merc).

- Mongerman , Necromancer (Summoner with Thorns Merc).

- Viking, not sure yet possibly some sort of melee/tank? (with Might Merc).

- Duffin, Sorceress (Blizzard with Prayer Merc).

I dont mind starting the session an hour later if Mongerman does'nt want to get up that early. :p

I can't really do Wed (college early the next morning) but Thu would be okay for me, what about Aldeth and Mongerman, what days are good for you?

9. Viking Gems: 19/31

I'm OK with 11pm start either night. Thursday is probably preferable overall for me too, though I cannot make next week Thursday if we were hoping to start then.

Those mercs should be shuffled around a bit, but otherwise tick most boxes. (The might merc should be with the nec. Throns as I've said is pretty useless in NM and Hell, Might for the skellies is crucial for damage output).

10. Mongerman Gems: 8/31

I'm fine most days. Just have to tell me the extact time so we'll be in sync

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Well, this Thursday is Thanksgiving here in the U.S., and I will be travelling out of state for the holiday. So maybe a week from this Thursday?

12. Mongerman Gems: 8/31

So will it be fri 6-7am where I am?

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    @Mongerman -

Let's get confirmation from the other two guys first. But let's see here.

I'm 6 hours behind SP time. Viking and Duffin are 1 hour behind SP time, and you are 7 hours ahead of SP time.

So, if I get home by 1700 next Thrusday, it will be 2300 SP time. So for Duffin and Viking, that's 2200, which is late, but not horribly so. For you Mongerman, it's already going to be 0600 Friday morning.

14. Duffin Gems: 13/31

I'm okay with that time, it would seem 6am is the most inconvenient of all the times. Is that okay with you Mongerman?

15. Viking Gems: 19/31

I should be fine. Just need to smooth the path with the wife.

16. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    OK then. The next step is to decide which realm we're playing on, what we're going to name the game, and what are characters are going to be named so that we know when we're all there. Alternatively, if we don't want anyone else in the game for not being a team player, we can always just set a password for the game.

17. Duffin Gems: 13/31

Europe or North America would be the obvious server choices either one should be fine. We could name our players SP_Aldeth, SP_Mongerman etc. if those names arent already taken unless you have any other suggestions. Cant install the game to check myself at the minute as I'm waiting for my new computer to arrive which should be Saturday and I've taken both disc drives out of this one :p . I'm sure we can come up with a game name closer to the time. If we had a public game it could be useful in hell incase we need a particular role to be covered which we don't have in the party, on the other hand you get PKers and people who just do there own thing outside the party making it more difficult, so I'm more inclined to suggest a private game. What do you guys think?

18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Well, especially considering that this is HC, I don't like the idea of a public game at all. All you need is one idiot, and countless hours of gaming go down the tubes.

19. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

So, when will the games be arranged? Day and time (GMT+00)? Since my other group has dispersed, game ended, I wouldn't mind testing my BO/double-throw barb a bit further. I'm currently lv.30 and nearing the Ancients, so I could join you by the time you are at the same place.

20. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    The current plan is to start next Thursday night, at 2200 England Time - (I think that's GMT). Or to aboid confusion, it would be 2300 SP time.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.