1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The end of the Olympic Games

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Mollusken, Feb 23, 2002.

1. Corr Raven Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Cricket is stupid. it's just plain stupid. It's like baseball for wusses.

Football (soccer) and icehockey...
    The best two sports by far.

2. Christopher_Lee Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Actually baseball is for wusses. Cricket is for upper class twits (and I am one), faggots, inbred people and so forth.

Hence maybe it should be included in the winter olympics and hockey moved to the summer with the rest of normal sports. :D:D:D

[This message has been edited by Christopher_Lee (edited February 25, 2002).]

3. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I think Cricket actually was an olympic sport once. About 1908 or 1912 the games were held in London (White City), and I think they included cricket. :lol: talk about pandering to the locals.

Other excellent olympic sports have included Tug of war I think, and certainly high jump and long jump without a run-up.

Sport isn't what it once was I say. :D

4. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Someone who knows this, tell me, what was the vbest total of one person winning GOld medals?

Samppa Lajunen had 3. :)

Ara
    (Mean, nasty... thing with a habit of infecting people with odd ideas...)

5. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Eric Heiden (USA) won 5 gold medals in speed skating (in the same olympics). Ole Einar Bjørndalen (Norway) is second with his 4 biathlon gold medals during the last two weeks.

Bjørn Dæhlie (Norway) won 8 olympic gold medals in cross country skiing during the 90s (Albertville -92, Lillehammer -94 and Nagano -98). Together with 4 silver medals, he is the most succesful olympian ever.

6. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Overall I think it was one of the better winter games. Good coverage and not a overwelming number of sob stories. Good events with lots of drama and action. I just wish the less popular events received more air time. I don't care if an American is in them I just want to see stuff I normally don't have a chance to.

I'm looking forward to Greece in 2004

7. Christopher_Lee Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

To be fair, no one cared if there was an american in any of the events. The way the (american) producers dictated what was shown in other countries around the american participants was poor. As was the favouring of the american sportsmen (clean the track in the womens skeleton final? just before the two americans run...)

8. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

[​IMG]
    You sound very sure about this matter. I went to www.olympics.com and guess what - Norway still has "only" 11 gold medals. Not to mention the US-Americans rate the countries by total medals - Norway would have to get 13(!!!) more medals to come colse to Germany :p

9. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Well, in the Finnish Ice Hockey team there is this guy, Raimo Helminen.... these were his sixth Olympics. That's a record :)

Ara
    (Pinting out itty bitty little details.... )

10. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

Maertyn: silver and bronze is loss. We only count the victories :D.

11. Turambar Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Taking medals away from a person in the olympics is no small matter so it isn't done in 5 minutes(lot's of politics and shit)

But to quote Bush "Make no mistake, the evildoers will get what is coming to them"(or something like that)

The IOC president has actually made an official statement that they will lose their medals.

12. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31

It was a fun olympics. Watching in America can be frustrating (as noted above). It was nice to see some events that did not prominently feature American competitors. I hope they do more of this in the future.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.