1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The Four!

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Sikret, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Sikret Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Yes, but IA v5 will be released within a few hours.

2. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Wow, congrats Sikret. IA 5 sounds like it's really quite an accomplishment, just based on the feature list. Perhaps I need to consider another BG2 runthrough sometime in the not too distant future!

3. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    GAH! I'll have to start all over then :p.

4. Sikret Gems: 13/31

Yes, but it is worth it. Think of your v4.2 run-through as a warming practice before getting into the real work. I strongly recommend to play your first v5 run-through with a vagrant protagonist to have access to the maximum possible number of new quests.

@Marceror

Thank you very much.

5. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    That and that I had already begun working on the outlines of a possible review, which would be pointless if I kept playing v4.2.

6. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Awesome - I was very much hoping your response would be something like that!!!
    Great work - now I just have to toss up as to whether I finish my current 4.2 game for completions sake or start afresh with 5.2. I'm kind of leaning towards the latter (for the quests, the four and Rogue Rebalancing compatibility) but it seems a waste to leave my current game.

7. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Hey Sikret, just curious whether or not you plan to update the item descriptions in the original post of this thread. Might be helpful for those who are contemplating whether or not to install this with their IA games. Just a thought, or perhaps you're keeping the changes under wraps for a reason, I suppose is fine too.

Sikret likes this.
  8. Sikret Gems: 13/31

=============================
    Description of the four items:
    =============================

1- The robe

Robe of Eloquence

This ancient and extraordinary robe has led all of its previous owners to death. While it boosts spellcasting abilities to a considerable extent, It has devastating disadvantages. Once a mage wears it even for a moment, he or she will be subject to most of the item's disadvantages for the rest of his or her life.

Advantages:

- Wearer's aura is cleansed
    - Wearer can memorize one additional daily spell per spell level

Equipped disadvantages:

- Immunity to all methods of healing
    - Incurs -3 Penalty to all saves

Permanent disadvantages:

- Immunity to all healing spells
    - Immunity to Regeneration

Usable By:
    Evil Mages (not multi class)

2- The Ring

Melodic fury

Zafir was a knowledgeable bard in Calimshan. However, When he was waylaid by a brigade of kobolds, his lore didn't help him much. When he was near to death, he wished that he was less knowledgeable but had better fighting abilities. It is said that this last request was fulfilled and Zafir killed a good number of kobolds before his heroic death. His fury transferred into his
    ring when he died.

*Cursed Item*

Equipped abilities:
    +5 to hit bonus
    Permanent Improved Haste
    +15 HP bonus

Disadvantages:
    Lore: -40 Penalty
    Intelligence: -6 Penalty
    Disables thieving skills button

Usable By:
    Bard

3- The gloves

Gloves of Spell Weaving

Aswad was a high level mage known for his extraordinary experminets on animals. Druids were angry with him and prepared a large army to destory his stronghold. Aswad who had anticipated such an assault had already prepared this magnificent artefact for a possible confrontation. His gloves gave him considerable immunity against druids and he truly surprised them in the battle. However, the side effect of the very same item was the cause of his death when he failed to make an important save vs. death.

*Cursed Item*

Equipped abilities:
    +1 Bonus to casting speed
    Immunity to Creeping Doom, Insect Plague and Summon insects
    Immunity to Miscast Magic

Disadvantage:
    -4 penalty to save vs. death

Usable By:
    Mage
    Bard

4- The helmet

Sunlight

While worn by a druid, this shiny golden helmet reflects the slimmest lights of any environment directly to the eyes of the enemy as if they are struck by sunlight, incurring penalties to their THAC0s and Armor classes. But due to its high conductivity, it also incurs 20% penalties to the wearer's resistance to electricity and Fire. Only druid's are so attuned with nature to have
    such a low penalty. Others would have burnt immediately had they worn the helmet. The wearer also requires to have a minimum of 12 intelligence to know how to adjust the angle of the light's reflections on the targets.

*Cursed Item*

Equipped abilities:
    Protection against critical hits
    Armor Class: +4 Bonus
    THAC0: +4 Bonus
    -20% Penalty to Fire and Lightning resistance

Requires 12 intelligence

Usable By:
    Druid

9. Sikret Gems: 13/31

I'd start afresh.

10. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Interesting. Does this mean it is still mostly usuable without Improved Anvil, or is IA necessary for it to work at all?

If the latter is the case, why?

11. Sikret Gems: 13/31

Yes, it's the latter.

The reason is that the battles in "The Four" mod were previously of much lower quality than those of IA. I was not satisfied with the enemies' combat scripts in The Four. But on the other hand, if I wanted to revise the scripts and improve them to my desired level of quality, I would also need to extend The Four's second component (the tweakpack) to cover many necessary prerequisites for writing complex and advanced scripts. This was not an elegant solution, because with that change, The Four's second component (the tweakpack) would have become much bigger than its first component. Imagine that you would have needed to install a huge tweakpack just in order to play a small mod which adds 4 battles and 4 items to the game!

I decided to go for a second and alternate solution. I omitted The Four's small tweakpack altogether and made the mod require IA. Now, I was able to write complex and advanced scripts for The Four's battles relying on the fact that all the necessary prerequisites (tweaks) are already there in the player's game.

In short, I made 'The Four' require IA, because I wanted the enemies in 'The Four' to be capable of running advanced scripts similar to those used in IA.

12. Marceror

Media:
    Sikret, appreciate the item descriptions! I just noticed that you posted these after I asked about their updated stats.

13. Sikret Gems: 13/31

Weclome :).

14. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    A fair enough reason. Will you still keep an older version available for people uninterested in playing IA? Unlikely, I know, but I thought it would be best to ask.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.