1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

The mighty Ranger/Cleric

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Ecniv Sllew, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I was testing out a Ranger-Cleric this morning.

When I dualed (Ranger level 7 to Cleric) and gatekeepered the XP to level 8 Cleric I got some extra Driud spells (two level 2 and two level 3 spells with no level 1 or 4 spells being added on). This was BG1 btw.

If I import this character into BG2 will she eventually have all the BG2 druid spells all the way to level 7!? Even though a level 7 Ranger can't cast a single spell yet!?

Is that the way it's suppose to work or is this a bug? :eek:

2. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That's what does indeed happen; further, a ranger can't cast druid spells above level 3, while an R/C gets them all. It's the main reason why some consider an R/C to be overpowered. Whether it's a bug or not is debatable.

3. Aces Gems: 19/31

Well that settles it.
    My fourth character will be a Cleric dualed from a Ranger then.
    I was planing a Cleric dualed from a Fighter but driud spells are more important than getting 3+ weapon slots in hammers or flails.

:D

4. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

In ToB multiclass is better than dual class. Most importantly if you dual class you won't get any fighter type HLA's.

5. Koki Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Ahhhh, I've been absent for a while, but I'm getting back to BG slowly, so maybe I'll finally complete the saga solo.

And R/C is the best eh? Could anyone explain, in terms of game-rules, why? Isn't Ranger stripped-down Fighter? Yea, some druid spells are nice, but cleric has most of them(Wait - is Stone Skin a druidic spell?).

I would play warrior/mage but I'd have to be a longeared treehugger(Euphemistic: elf) to do so and even though I will powergame, I have some rules(Heh). So my guess is on Dwarf, F/C.

But let me guess - only Elves can be R/C, right?

6. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Hm, actually I'm not sure on elves - I think only half-elves can manage it.
    Anyway, some of the pluses and minuses of a R/C compared to ye olde fighter-cleric:
    + Has all cleric and druid spells: iron skins among them
    + 2 bonus slots in 2-weapons style, same weapon selection as F/C otherwise (can't get 3 slots there, though)
    + can use ranger abilities (stealth, charm animal) when in light armor
    + 1 extra HLA (although I never bothered with it anyway)
    - slower levelling in the warrior class: eventually it does not matter much, but initially it can be quite a pain - you get those extra attacks, THAC0 improvements, etc. considerably later; HLAs come somewhat later too.

7. Ekarderif Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Yes, only a half-elf can multiclass the Ranger/Cleric.

The limit of 2 slots on 2 weapon style is actually a bug that's rectified with the Baldurdash patch. The only real penalty versus a Fighter/Cleric is the slower levelling, but that won't matter in the long run. Stoneskin is the reason that Fighter/Mages is one of the reasons that they're so awesome... and a Ranger/Cleric gets the same thing :p . A Ranger is a stripped down Fighter, but a multiclass Fighter is even more stripped down than a Ranger is. That's why the Ranger/Cleric is so awesome :D . Well, that and for some reason you get to cast all Druid spells.

8. Koki Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

...unless you use tutu tweaks/ease-of-use to allow yourself these 5 stars in multiclass.

*hides*

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll go with F/C - even half-elf is still an elf, and the only bonus I see here is Stone Skin, which is great to have, but I think I can pull out something like -13 AC or more.

9. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

5 stars in multi? Yeah, but that kinda messes up the balance... after all, the only plus it leaves pure fighters with is faster (slightly) levelling.

10. Earl Grey

Actually Ironskin is slightly better than Stoneskin since Ironskin is not affected by Breach.

11. Ekarderif Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Heh, didn't know. Enemy mages don't tend to cast Breach too often... if ever...

12. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

But I bet that'll help out heaps in Tactics.

13. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

Iron skins can't be breached? Are you sure?

14. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

I assume that is because the breach spell is coded to remove the effects of the spell code, which is stoneskin...and the devs forgot to add Ironskins as well.

Wonder if this works for Bark Skin, Righteous Magic, etc?

15. Earl Grey

Here is a quote from the Breach description taken from http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Main.htm

16. Balle Gems: 19/31

i dont think you can dual class a rangeR!

17. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

At least not to druid because of the alignment restriction, but to cleric is an option if you have the right stats.

18. Earl Grey

@Balle
    Yes, you can dual class a Ranger. We've established that earlier in this thread. If you don't believe it then make a ranger and test it yourself.

19. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

Though you WILL need godly stats.

Doubt: If you dual class a cleric from say...lvl 13 to a Ranger at lvl 14...will you get Ranger and cleric spells only upto lvl 3, or will you get to cast spells all the way to lvl 7 while being a ranger?

20. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

Hm, I don't know about dualing, but a multi-class cleric-ranger goes beyond lvl3 in both clerical and druidic spells.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.